Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-14, 9:01pm

Default It's going to get cold SOON

I live in North Dakota, and its going to get cold soon, and then it's going to get really cold. My studio is now in my unheated uninsulated garage. I have an oxy con and wondering about how that will perform in the cold. and also if anyone has more cracking or breakage problems when working in the cold. or any other problems or tips.... Winter Is Coming!
Old 2013-09-14, 9:08pm
honorary bead lady

Keep the oxycon in the house or create a heated box for it, they don't like cold. They are ok once running
Old 2013-09-14, 9:20pm
Sucks at being nice

Cold glass = frit on a stick for me. You could be like some of the smart people and find a way to heat the rods before you use them. Since I'm not much of a planner and grab colors as I go I just get used to flying glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-15, 6:40am
Ready to hit the road

Oh my gosh, you're going to torch in the dead of winter in there?!? You're a lot sturdier than I am. Last winter when my studio (on the north side of the house with big windows) got into the 50s, I headed for the recliner by the wood stove. I would definitely get a rod warmer, they throw off a lot of heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-15, 7:06am
Sheila Davis Designs

I live in Washington, so it gets pretty cold here too, I have 2 heaters in my studio (also off the unattached garage) I turn them on first thing in the morning and let it heat up for an hour or 2, depending on how cold it is. I also wear Uggs and layers of clothing. Oh...what we won't do to melt glass!

Old 2013-09-15, 2:25pm

Thanks everyone, I recently got a rod warmer and love it. I will hopefully be getting a kiln soon, so I'm hoping that will help a bit too.
Old 2013-09-15, 3:04pm
addicted to dichro

I'd highly suggest getting yourself a heater if you are working everyday. When I first started making beads I worked in an unheated building over the winter. I wore this ancient down jacket from llbean, the kind that makes you look like you are about 60 pounds heavier. It was the warmest jacket I've ever had and the sleeves were tight and short so I could work without them getting in the way. 2 sweaters on under that and I was good. If it's really cold there's always long underwear too. I never noticed any trouble with shocky glass or cracking beads and I even worked with a fiber blanket at the time.

Old 2013-09-15, 4:23pm

A ceramic heater under the bench can help, just make sure to if off when your done.
Anything shocky will be more so, larger divardi is a pita.

Old 2013-09-15, 4:34pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd suggest an infra-red heater aimed at yourself. It'll warm you, not the room, and works pretty well even with your ventilation pulling in cold, fresh air. Also, a pair of these:
http://www.constructiongear.com/fing...FeU9Qgod4nkAng

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-09-15, 4:46pm

Soooo inquiring minds want to know. Where in North Dakota do you live? I'm originally from New Leipzig, my sister still lives there, but my dad in now in Dickinson.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-09-16, 11:59am

those gloves are a great idea Felicia!
Donna, I live in Mandan.
Old 2013-09-16, 4:44pm

Oh really? I have a couple of class mates that moved to Mandan, one use to work at Mandan High.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-09-16, 5:06pm

I don't know how you do it. And I'd love to learn. After about 6 degrees Celsius, the glass just seems to take way too long to melt. Even with an oil radiant heater and a fan heater, and a kiln, and the torch running. I'm in an attached, uninsulated garage, too, and I literally went into torching withdrawal last winter because it was just too cold!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Tags
cold, garage, winter