Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-05-02, 4:06pm

Default Canon Rebel XTI - lenses? macros?

What a change from point and shoot! i am having a lot of trouble figuring this all out, so naturally, I'm thinking it's the wrong lens! Any numbers, sample pics of what this is capable of, anything to bolster my flagging optimism?
Old 2007-05-02, 6:12pm

I have the Rebel XT and I love it. I just read the manual. I also purchased a macro lens for mine. what are you having trouble with?
What lenses did you get with the camera?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-05-02, 7:26pm

Hey Heather - thanks. It came with an EF-S18-55MM, F3.5-5.6 and a 1458w 0.5 x wide angle.

The first one is Canon and the second is an off brand, in two pieces. The wide angle screws off and leaves a macro lens. It took me forever to figure out that I was supposed to screw the smaller lens into the bigger one, and then today I finally thought - I wonder if it would be any better if I took off the 2nd part of the wide angle? Can't see a shot in the monitor, sometimes when I press the button, all I get is like a zizzy lightening flash, no pic. Trial and error says that's when I'm too close. What I'm having trouble with is pretty much everything! I never used an SLR, just a Nikon coolpix950 from 11 years ago, but that's in a coma or something.

So I don't know how to do anything. I have been looking at the books a LOT but what I think is that the macro lens can't get any closer than maybe 5 inches, which seems close enough, but there's no zooming... this must sound lame. It's all very different than point & shoot. I hope my brain hasn't gotten lazy or something, because this isn't sinking in!!!
Old 2007-05-02, 8:32pm

First off, the pictures do not show in the monitor until you have taken the picture. You must use the optical area and look in and aim.

I purchased the macro lens made by cannon and it takes beautiful close up pics. I also have the 18-55 and it is a great all purpose lens. Perfect for a vacation. You can take a macro shot with that lens if you set it to the ladies head.

I had never used an slr either. I purchased mine to take pics for the bead review. The camera arrived the day before I needed to mail the pics....LOL.

I learned very fast... I read the whole book.

I question the macro lens you were sold. Are you sure it is a lens you need? I think the best lens is the macro made for that camera.

If you are getting close enough to take a pics 5 inches from a bead, you should have plenty of DPI to get close up details you are looking for in a bead.

The camera does have a learning curve but I think you just have to test with the camera and see what works for you.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-05-03, 5:45am

I know, I sound like a whiner - I think what's annoying me the most is that ten years ago I would have had this figured out in minutes - you know, the instant gratification thing. (Check back with me in 10 years, you'll know what I mean!) I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I'll try it in portrait mode with the 18 and see if that helps. I automatically put it in close up - the flower icon.

Tell you what - you want to feel like an idiot, stand there pushing the + and - buttons waiting for the lens to move in and out to focus and nothing happens! (Is there a sheesh, smacking the head smiley?) It's all PPP then, right? aargh.
Old 2007-05-03, 12:51pm
as in the state

I have a digital rebel XT and LOVE it. It took a while to get used to it, though. For a long time I was thinking it was WAY too much camera for me.

Sounds like I have the same macro/wide angle thing you have. Came in a little yellow box with a black leather pouch to store it in? I bought mine on the strip in Las Vegas. Not as thrilled about that lens purchase as I am with the 2x extender I bought at the same time. That particular macro lens does do a decent job. It takes some good close ups. But I think I still prefer the Canon macro lens I bought. I think it's the 65mm one.

I mostly use portrait mode, or the auto mode for the camera (the square-ish) icon.

Just PPP. Yep. I went nuts and took pictures of everything when I first got it. Then changed the lenses and took pictures of the same things again. It was a little cumbersome changing lenses at first, but now it's just second nature. And you'll get used to what the numbers on the lenses mean, too. That was the scariest thing for me!

Quick tip: the smaller the number, the wider the angle of the shot (i.e. 22mm). The larger the number, the more close up it will get you (telephoto, i.e. 300mm, 600mm, etc.) Canon's website has excellent photo "schools" online that are really super helpful with what you can do with this camera.

It's a fabulous camera!

-Amy
Old 2007-05-04, 5:59am

Well that's encouraging to hear! Any more tips about this camera anyone cares to share will be greatly appreciated! I have to go read how to increase the resolution and see maybe if I reduce on the computer from a high res photo I'll be able to get a "closer" shot like I do in regular graphics.
Old 2007-05-06, 4:02pm

Hey Christy,
I don't have the XT but the original digital rebel they first came out with, but it is pretty much the same. I almost never use the auto modes any more, but the TV mode mainly. I also have a vivitar macro 100mm lens. Also as it just so happens I live in Richmond,VA. A lot of times it helps if you can talk to someone who is basically looking at the same thing you are at the same time. If you find that you need more help with it just PM me and I'll send you my telephone number, or if you are going to be up here in Richmond some time maybe we could get together and work on it. I actually live just a little south of Richmond in Prince George. I'm no expert, but I'll help you all I can.
Donna
Old 2007-05-08, 9:31pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Your 55mm lens does not have the image stabilizer motor, therefore you need to focus the lens manually. twist until you see an image hit the shutter button half way and it will focus then. of course i could be full of shit, too, but i took my 100 macro 2.8f outside to take some picture of eagles and of course thenit;s just a 100mm lens. but still happy with that too. A while back i shoewd some pics. of my new Canon lens in the darkroom.
Now the macro set up has the immage stabiilizer and all I have to do is to half press the shutter and it will focus on its own.
all is all its like a point and shoot. lol
good luck Katja
I see if I still have some resized pics to show.
Old 2007-05-08, 10:02pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default here are my macro pics

I resized some pictures from my Canon XTi with the 100 Macro 2.8 EF.
Katja
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-10, 7:40am

Wow! You guys are great. Donna - i don't get out much... wish you could come over! I found out how to maintain the resolution while resizing the image, it was a duh, headslap moment... In Photoshop you unclick the resize box in "image size" before reducing.

Here are a couple of pics I tried this weekend. I need to work on lighting, etc, these were tests. I think with the right lenses I am going to love this camera...
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-10, 11:01am
as in the state

Oh, trust me. You will LOVE this camera.

It kicks more ass than a barrel of ninja monkeys.

And then some.

-Amy
Old 2007-06-10, 9:42am

After much dead end - you need $750 lense - research, I went to Ritz camera with my dilemma. The Canon guy there brought me a set of filters that are like magnifying glasses at 4 different strengths - under $30! Think this might work? This was an auto setting, taken maybe 8" away with 3 of the filters. I reduced this to put it here, but the resolution is amazing! I can't wait to try playing with aperture and different settings. My husband said, "Now I REALLY know we're getting old. We're taking flower pictures in our yard." .

Ninja monkeys for sure!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 2007-06-10, 9:56am
Crazy tool making guy....

Close up lenses work quite well. The better ones have two elements for a better image, but even the ultra cheap ones work pretty well.

Canon digital SLRs are the shiznit. You've got the equipment, all you need is practice! Looks like you are coming along well!

-Jeff
Old 2007-06-10, 10:45am
da General

I have the Canon 20D, which is one model up from the Rebel. When I was researching for a Macro lens, I spoke with my professional photographer colleague and he recommends purchasing the close-up filters instead (as your Ritz camera guy did, Christy). There are three filters in a set - 1x, 2x and 4x - and they work great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-10, 1:48pm

Really! This camera is something! I noticed that I was only seeing the photo at 16% in Photoshop and incrementally began increasing the enlargement? Holy cats! YOu can see the pollen on the whatchamacallit! It's incredible! The resolution and detail. can't wait to try taking pics of beads! Course I'll have to make some first...
Old 2008-01-15, 2:30am

If you can afford a canon brand I would get the 100mm macro. it is not a zoom. just pure macro. its what all photographers use for do closeups of wild life. if you use nikon i would invest in the macro ring light . it has a light that lights up around the edge of the lens for better lighting. awsome but expensive