Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-05-11, 5:56pm
Serenity Now!

Default Tubing question: Problem with lines...

Hoping someone can help me out here: Am laying down color on a point, then blowing out - and I get "lines"...

How can I avoid this?! Thanks...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-12, 4:34pm

Any pics?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-12, 4:59pm
Serenity Now!

Mmm....nope! Afraid such ugliness would break my camera! Actually, I am striping on the silver-based color - totally covering the point - and it gets "streaky", whereby you can see the original individual lines. This doesn't happen with all colors mind you...

Can someone help out a gal here please?!?

Old 2007-05-12, 6:49pm

The silver color will fume as you are laying them down sometimes, so your streaking may be coming from that.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-05-12, 7:04pm
Serenity Now!

Yup - that makes sense, Erci! So - got any ideas how to get around it?!

Old 2007-05-13, 5:58am

don't get around it, go with the flow and use things to your advantage. Colours with high metal content, like the northstar exotics for example (ex blue, ex green, ex red, aurora, etc), are very difficult to get an even cover without lines, as reduction and oxydisation occurs unevenly (crayon type colours are much better for this), however, the effects you can achieve with colours which fume off can be rather nice.
here's something I enjoy doing with such colours. After I lay down the colour, I twist the points back and forth (I think in the states it's called wig-wag?) to get a zig-zag pattern happening. then I flash the whole point by laying down straight lines of clear. you can let the point go somewhat cold so the zigzag stays nice and straight as you're flashing the clear on, but I prefer heating the colour as I'm laying down the clear, so I can drag it along a little to get wavy lines. Here's a couple of details of some perfumes I did several years ago which shows the end result. I only used one type of colour on a piece.
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2007-05-13 at 6:02am. Reason: added info
Old 2007-05-13, 9:04am

ooooh, that is pretty!

Old 2007-05-13, 1:01pm
Serenity Now!

Hey thanks Eric & Wicked - very nice!! Going to give it a whirl...

Old 2007-05-14, 7:03am
Hummel factory reject

Hey Val! Hope your class was inspiring!!! You may want to try some powder or very fine frit to coat your tubing. Make sure to post some of your new discoveries. Lori

Old 2007-05-14, 8:20am

if you dont want that in the design, you can burn off the fume in the flame, should be able to see the haze while you work or coat those colors completely in clear so they dont fume. if not completely covered and some is left to get to the surface you will get lines and or haze.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-05-14, 9:01am
Serenity Now!

Thanks very much, girls...I appreciate all your help/info...