LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-09-18, 7:42pm

Question ratticello tutorial n e one???

i was lookin for a tutorial on ratticello (i'm just about positive that i spelled it wrong, feel free to correct me) i have an idea of how its done but i think some instructions and pictures would make all the diffrence. thanx
Old 2005-09-21, 8:14pm

I have no idea what that is I sure hope soemone can tell and show us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LAURIE HUNT
Old 2005-09-21, 10:09pm

The effect is like a latticino inside a latticino, but the inside one spirals opposite of the outside one. I've seen blown glass done like that. I have no idea how it's done though.
Old 2005-09-23, 6:27am
ManBearPig

I don't have the tutorial any more. We had a hard drive failure a few months back and I lost everything. That was one of the things I lost.

I got it from The Flow Magazine - www.theflowmagazine.com - so you can check there. Perhaps they have it online, or can tell you what issue it was in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2007-07-14 at 12:45pm.
Old 2005-09-23, 7:33am
Mary Lockwood

I really wish someone would post a tutorial too.

Chad, thanks for trying, but I can't wrap my mind around that. I keep thinking that retwisting backwards would just untwist what you did the first time. And at what point is the pull?

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-23, 11:04am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
I really wish someone would post a tutorial too.

Chad, thanks for trying, but I can't wrap my mind around that. I keep thinking that retwisting backwards would just untwist what you did the first time. And at what point is the pull?

~~Mary
Well, it does sort of untwist the first one. Just not all the way. I saw a tutorial somewhere. I'll find it....

Old 2005-09-23, 11:29am
ManBearPig

Aha! Found it. This is from the Spring 2003 issue of The Flow.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2005-11-28 at 6:48am.
Old 2005-09-23, 3:38pm

Thumbs up thanx

Thanks...that helped alot. i can't wait to try it.
Old 2005-09-24, 8:47pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Aha! Found it. This is from the Spring 2003 issue of The Flow.

Right click, save as....

www.soleiletlune.com/temp/reticello1.jpg
www.soleiletlune.com/temp/reticello2.jpg

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I fell asleep last night trying to figure out how to do this. LOL Guess I don't need to mention that I wasn't even close.

I thought that maybe you took a point, painted lines on it and twisted it. Painted more lines on it and twisted it, only in my head, you twist it the same way both times.

Then, you flare the tube, and fold it back on itself. Close off the new end and blow it out.

This was the only way I could get my head to see two sets of lines going in different directions in the same layer of glass. I just couldn't grasp it.

Thank you SO much for posting those directions.

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-25, 9:24am

Chad thanks for taking the time to find that tutorial.

LAURIE HUNT
Old 2005-11-26, 6:20am

you have got to overspin first set o lines
Old 2005-11-26, 7:17pm

Is this only for boro. NOt for soft glass?
Old 2005-11-26, 9:41pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Leslie
Is this only for boro. NOt for soft glass?
I have seen people do similar things on larger soft glass rods. You draw lines down the rod, twist, draw other lines, twist back, then condense the whole thing into a ball or disc. But, it's much easier on tubing. Of course, I'm tubing-challenged, so it's not easy for me no matter what I do.

Old 2005-11-28, 7:12am
ManBearPig

I had to remove the tutorial from my site due to bandwidth issues. If anyone wants, it, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Old 2005-11-28, 11:33am
holy crap on a cracker

Default Reversing-twisty-lines tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I had to remove the tutorial from my site due to bandwidth issues. If anyone wants, it, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
Hello there! May I have the tutorial please? Thank you SO much!

Nan
Old 2005-11-28, 11:43am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette
Hello there! May I have the tutorial please? Thank you SO much!

Nan
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Old 2005-11-28, 8:19pm
Always with a smile!

I would also love the tutorial: jknapp@champmail.com many thanks for finding and doing!
Old 2005-11-30, 6:24pm
Oh, baby, I m'know...

Hi! Please send me the tutuorial.

wumpmonk@aol.com

Thanks,
Susan
Old 2005-11-30, 10:56pm
"Olde" but "Newbe"

I'd love a TUT on that Rat. too!! Has anyone contacted Luke Gardner about doing one? He did a demo at the 1st. Annual Bead Invitational at his WONDERFUL place in Penn. (if you ever get the chance ....GO!!!) Anyway....his Raticello's are AWESOME....Mary...weren't you there for that??
Peggy
Pegjake@aol.com
Old 2005-12-01, 7:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegJake
I'd love a TUT on that Rat. too!! Has anyone contacted Luke Gardner about doing one? He did a demo at the 1st. Annual Bead Invitational at his WONDERFUL place in Penn. (if you ever get the chance ....GO!!!) Anyway....his Raticello's are AWESOME....Mary...weren't you there for that??
Peggy
Pegjake@aol.com
If he will get him to do it and send it to Lizabeads@aol.com for your Tutorial Book that I am doing to raise money for LE

Old 2005-12-03, 6:56pm
just another boro kid

a reticello is an old technique that comes from italy i think.. the old style has air bubbles under each overlay.. it is basically two layers of lines that go in opposite directins layed over top of themselves... one way to do it , tube or rod, is to
1 lay straight lines down a tube or rod... multiple colors or one color..
2. twist that segment one full rotation so that the original lines match up with eachother..
3 lay lines that match the start and end point of each one....
4 twist segment one half rotation the other direction...
5 carefully clean up the end so that all the lines meet up to a point...
5 flatten and add lens, blow out and use in segment, or implode... etc..
troy bennet does some of the nicest cleanest ratti marbles ive seen out there, as with josh sable...http://www.glassartists.org/Gal12850..._Reticello.asp
hope this helps...
andrew

Last edited by andrew brown; 2005-12-03 at 7:05pm.
Old 2005-12-03, 7:03pm
just another boro kid

heres a nice reticello from sable
http://www.sablemarbles.homestead.com/oct001.html
andrew
Old 2006-01-06, 9:36am
Type ZZZ personality

holy crap! those are cool!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-01-06, 10:34am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
holy crap! those are cool!
Yeah. One of these days I'll learn how to do that...

Old 2006-01-06, 1:16pm
boro color bender

Those are really really clean rainbows. I've done a few half way desent ones... but DAMN!

PPP

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-06, 2:08pm

Yeppers they are REAL cool but I'll be damned if I could do it !!! Who ever was sending out tuts on this please send one to lizabeads@aol.com
THANKS

Old 2006-01-06, 6:57pm

Well I can spell it but I can't do it! I took a class once with Leah Fairbanks and she can do it really well!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-01-06, 7:00pm

Hey Chad. Can you put up the link? OR send it to me? Thanks. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-01-07, 11:46pm
Type ZZZ personality

is it only raticello if it's the 2 layers crisscrossing, or just if it's a zigzag?
Can someone recommend a good book or video to learn the basics of all this terminology for boro stuff?

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-01-08, 12:15pm
Senior Moment

Chad could you send me this tutoral please?
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com