Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-10-11, 7:46am
Burning Fingers!

Default How Do You Keep Warm In Cold Weather?

My husband and I are thinking about building me a separate studio (away from the house). The problem is how to keep it warm in the winters. With the fan pulling out all the warm air, it will be nearly impossible. I thought about a wood stove, and then realized that the fan will probably pull all smoke into the room. So just what do you people with separate studios do to keep warm? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Old 2008-10-11, 8:57am
Dichro Addict

The best way is to duct your fresh air right up under your table. That way your vent systems won't evacuate all the warm air in the room. It will just pull in the fresh air right through your torch area and out the vent system. I know there are threads here about it. I'll try to find a link. It works in the summer as well to keep your room cool. I would love to do this, but I would have to put a large hole in the brick, so it's not happening.

Old 2008-10-11, 8:58am
Dichro Addict

Here's a link.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=makeup+air

Old 2008-10-11, 10:38am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Hi Jane,
I live in S.Africa where it gets hot in the summer and cold enough in the winter and I have a loft room above the garage. I have since 2 years ago fitted a proper airconditioner, so it heats and cools the room. It's the fasted method to do both and you switch it off when you leave the room unlike wood stoves or other fireplaces. I too have an extraction duct, it still keeps up perfectly.
I'm really pleased with it.

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!

Last edited by Astrid Riedel; 2008-10-11 at 10:40am.
Old 2008-10-11, 10:52am
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Lenora and Astrid for your suggestions.
We are considering converting one of the stalls of our barn (horses are long gone), as the basic structure is already there. we will need to insulate the walls and ceiling, and put in a door and windows to my part. We were also thinking of putting in-floor heating coils. The fresh air ducts were something I had in mind too.

Astrid, do you mean a "heat enchanger" - I think that is what we call them here, but they are about $6 - $7,000.00 here, - way above my budget.

/
/
/

Old 2008-10-11, 8:58pm
Flamewoman

Hello Jane,
If you look on page 2 of the studio threads, you will find my studio. The thread is called "My studio is FINALLY done" by Mary K. I have no problem keeping cool or warm with my system. My return air come in under the bench, and doesn't suck all the cool/warm air out. This works for me.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-10-11, 10:13pm
No Problem!

If all else fails bundle up with thermals and layers top it off with a beanie, fire up the kiln and keep making stuff..really though the return air through the bench to feed your vent hood is the best thing to do first. Otherwise you'll spend a fortune running any type of heater.
Smaller shops are ideal in the winter cause the kiln does quite a bit in regards to adding heat to the space.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-12, 6:31pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Mary and Beau - I think that is the way we are going to go - it makes sense. That, along with the in-floor heat, should do the trick (and the layers and the beanie - LOL).

/
/
/

Old 2008-10-14, 2:40am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Floor heating is very effective, but you need to switch it on way before you get into your studio, where airconditioners work almost instantly. ( look some up on the internet)
I dont know but I thought that Nevada could also get pretty hot, am I right?
Again cooling in the summer would be VERY good!
We paid (converted to dollars) $1000.00

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2008-10-14, 7:45am
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Astrid - yes the time factor with the in floor heating would be something to consider.
Yes, I imagine Nevada would be very hot in the summer, however I am on Vancouver Island, which is off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada. Our summers can be warm, but also wet and cool at times. We are considered a rain forest area. It is more the warmth for the autumn, winter and early spring that I am thinking about.
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

/
/
/

Old 2008-10-14, 7:48am

I have a wall heater that I got at Walmart. It comes me toasty amd warm. Its hooked up to natural gas . I think I paid $139.00 for it in 2006. They still have them too. I saw them over in the hardware dept./paint dept.
I turn it on when I first get in to my studio. I have 12X 16 building . Keeps me warm.
Hope this helps.
Janet
Old 2008-10-14, 2:34pm
honorary bead lady

Jane,
When I work in mine I have the wood stove going, have not had to worry about pulling smoke in as the wind in winter is usually from the sw and blows the smoke away from my makeup air. I also have an electric heater that heats you up not the air. I'm south of Seattle so we have a similar climate.
The biggest problem I have is keeping my feet warm. I have thought of getting a soil mat to set my feet on.
Old 2008-10-14, 8:04pm
susanLambert

When I lived in Michigan, I would warm a rice bag in the microwave and put it under my feet to keep them warm.
You fold a dishtowel in half and sew the sides up and put rice in to fill the bag about 3/4 full. Then sew it up. Heat in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes and it's warm for a long time. Great for in the car in the morning too!

In the garage I used a radiant heater to stay warm. It screwed into a tank of propane.
Worked good.
hth!
Susan

Old 2008-10-15, 5:23am

Hi Jane,

I am currently in a similar situation. I started lampwork last spring. I am working in my sunporch with high ceilings. Summer was fine, I opened windows and had good air flow using a fan. But now I can't open the windows, there is too much of a cold draft.

So here's my 2 cents. I bought a range hood and pipe for a ventilation system. Cold air duct under your work area and the range hood over your torch area.

To help keep your feet warm insulate the floor, either below or maybe a second floor with insulation between. My sunporch has a crawl space, (no basement) with ceramic tile, and it is cold in the fall/winter. So DH has volunteered to insulate it for me.

I don't think the wood stove would work, sometimes when the air pressure is low, my kitchen range hood will affect the draft of my wood stove in the basement.
Also, tending a wood stove is a lot of work and a distraction.

I have baseboard heat, but I am also going to use an electric portable heater. It is made by Honeywell. It looks like an old hot water radiator, it is full of liquid (oil maybe). The electricity heats the coils, the liquids holds the heat and warms the room. It may work for you. I am sure you can get them at Canadian Tire or Home Hardware, about $70.00 cdn. I wish I knew the proper name for the heater.

Hey, also don't forget to wear your sheep skin lined winter boots. No joking.

Enjoy your new studio.
Cheryl

Last edited by cem; 2008-10-15 at 9:36am.
Old 2008-10-15, 5:46am
Common Lurker

I bought an electric boot mat, the larger one here...
http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commerci...armer-mat.html
It doesn't get super hot, but it is enough to keep your feet and lower legs warm.

Old 2008-10-15, 5:42pm
susanLambert

wow wish I knew about those when I lived in Michigan! How awesome is that Diane?!

Old 2008-10-15, 6:01pm

DiPat.....how does that heated mat stand up to hot glass if it pops off and onto the floor? I have looked at them, but have hesitated because I wondered if hot glass could burn through to the wires in the mat....if you haven't had any trouble I may order one for my cold toes!!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2008-10-15, 6:05pm
Common Lurker

I have had mine for two winters now, and still ticking! It's pretty far under my table tho, so it really doesn't get hit by popping glass.

Check around on the internet, you might find them cheaper.