TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-01, 1:18pm

Default Didymium shield users - opinions needed!

Trying to decide which mount will be least in my way. No one has a torch mount - which I think my first preference in a shield would be - so it's down to either a long arm bench mount or a short one like Austin Blue Moon carries.
Any advantages of one way over the other?

Thanks,
Joanne
Old 2008-08-01, 1:27pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Have you looked at the torch mounted blast shield?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-01, 1:29pm
da General

You will need to get didymium glass to replace the glass on the blast shield . . . something I plan to eventually do.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-08-01, 1:36pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Hayley,

I wouldn't replace the glass. What I'd do is get the shield with the dual channels and use the second channel to switch in and out different shades depending on what you're working with. Get a didy piece for soft and get a boro piece for boro. That would be the ideal setup I think

Old 2008-08-01, 1:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Have you looked at the torch mounted blast shield?
Actually, yes! But the reason I want the shield is because I'm wearing Rx glasses with a pair of didys on top. So, I'd still need a piece of ace glass to stick on there, plus wear my Rx glasses - 3 pieces of glass to look through doesn't sound like what I'd want to do. Not sure the ace glass is heat tolerant enough to be mounted - maybe that's why no one has offered it?

Joanne
Old 2008-08-01, 2:58pm

Joanne:

I, too, wear prescription glasses and could not stand putting glasses on top of them. So, I got the Phillips shield that has a base and a gooseneck. Since I rent space on an hourly basis, I use the shield on the bench. The disadvantage of this is that the gooseneck gets in the way some times; e.g. when pulling stringers.

If I had my own space, I would mount it from above--perhaps on the hood.

Name:  Bench-Mount_lg.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  8.9 KB
Old 2008-08-01, 2:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

get a long arm so you can maneuver it to keep it out of your way as much as possible. I have the one with the base and absolutely love it. The only way it would be better was if it mounted to the table instead!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-01, 3:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmartin View Post
Joanne:

I, too, wear prescription glasses and could not stand putting glasses on top of them. So, I got the Phillips shield that has a base and a gooseneck. Since I rent space on an hourly basis, I use the shield on the bench. The disadvantage of this is that the gooseneck gets in the way some times; e.g. when pulling stringers.

If I had my own space, I would mount it from above--perhaps on the hood.

Attachment 66105
I have seen a pic of someon that had theirs mounted to the hood and it was PERFECT. that would be the ideal way if you have a hood that can mount things to.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-02, 7:45am
Addicted to Frit!!!

That's what I've done, too. I unscrewed the Phillips shield from the base and C-clamped against the middle seam in my vent hood. Everything is out of the way, LOVE it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have seen a pic of someon that had theirs mounted to the hood and it was PERFECT. that would be the ideal way if you have a hood that can mount things to.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2008-08-02, 8:32am

I have one like Ruth posted. It doesn't get in my way, but I tend to peek around it. Works fine otherwise!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135