Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-28, 6:13am

Default Using CZs

Hi everyone. I just bought a bunch of 2mm crystal CZs and want to use them in my florals. I was looking for guidance before I try. Are there any techniques I should use? Any tips?
Thanks
Shelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-28, 6:35am

some push in with pick first to get a spot to place cz, heat once its in, thats it pretty much, i was surprised they can take direct flame to melt edges around to 'set' them, i usually dont encase, you can do either way though.
im by no means experienced at this, hopefully someone else with more info will chime in.
ro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-28, 7:44am
Viking Flame Keeper

Here is what I do:

Take a bunch of thin mandrels (I use 1/16" that has been cut in half) and a bottle of white glue. Dip the end of a mandrel very lightly in the glue and put a cz on the very end of the mandrel, flat side down (if you don't understand that bit, don't worry, it'll become clear when you see the cz in real life!). I usually breathe on my finger (don't lick!) to pick up the cz by pressing my finger down on the cz to be able to glue it to the mandrel more easily.
Let this dry.

When you want to place it on the bead just warm the bead where you want the cz and use the mandrel to place it by pushing the cz into the bead. The glue will burn off instantly and the cz is now embedded in the bead.

Encase if you wish!

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-04-28, 9:19am

Great idea. I'll try it. I did a test bead with tweezers and that was a challenge. I didn't encase, so the CZs are a little raised. Do these break off the way that larger silver "dots" do?

Old 2007-04-28, 2:14pm
sunscreen me baby

No, as long as you have some in the glass you should be fine. Here is a picture of what I know is safe:

~

Old 2007-04-28, 2:15pm
sunscreen me baby

Definitley glue onto the end of a mandrel. Also, hold it for a second once you poke it in. If you pull away too quickly the cz will fall off.

~

Old 2007-04-29, 6:22am

That is a beautiful bead. Do you put a layer of clear between your last petal and the CZ?

Old 2007-04-29, 6:55am
sunscreen me baby

No. I just poked in the flower to plunge the petals and pressed the bead without worrying about the center poke hole. I then spot heated the holes and poked the cz's in. I like the way the glass nestles around the cz from the already poked hole.

~

Old 2007-04-29, 6:56am
sunscreen me baby

ah, the ring of light you are seeing is the part where the glass begins to sink down for the hole. It does look like a clear dot, doesn't it? It is an actual indentation.

~