No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-22, 9:21am
Loving learning

Default Beads like slices having irregular large holes with bumpy surface

Sorry for the long title, but I know I've seen beads here that look like they are a slice of a hollow rock, like an amethyst say, with gem looking insides.
I have been trying to search but am not getting anything, and wondered if they have a name, and even better if there is a tutorial.

They may be above my skill level but now that my brain is trying to work it out, I can't forget it and I'm going crazy!

I would sure appreciate any info you may have & share.
Old 2012-01-22, 9:49am

Jeri Warhaftig taught these in Asheville at Fire on the Mountain. I think they are in her new book. Somebody did a thread on them afterwards.

They are not hard to make, but they require a flat lap grinder/polisher.
Old 2012-01-22, 9:50am
...displaced ocean lover

Kathy, I'm glad you knew! I thought maybe it was a Geode!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...de#post3850522

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-01-22, 9:52am
judejudejude

I think you are looking for geodes. they are beautiful.
hope this helps
Old 2012-01-22, 10:15am
Loving learning

Thank you all so much! I'd even commented early on in a thread on them, just couldn't remember what they were called. Looks like I have to wait since I don't have that grinder, but I can dream!
Old 2012-01-22, 11:06am
Mr Brutus RIP

I think about a week ago someone posted a purple one in the gallery. Really beautiful!!
sue

Old 2012-01-22, 11:32am
Loving learning

I thought I'd seen one this morning, but couldn't find it again, maybe that was the one I saw that sparked my interest.
Old 2012-01-22, 12:04pm
uncouthful cats

I think you could also build a bead similar to this on a mandrel by "painting" on variable layers of glass, intentionally made a bit wonky (intentionally wonky - how fun is that?). I've seen some pretty ones with enamel or fine frit between layers to give a stonier & more organic appearance. The layers wouldn't be as sharp as the sliced beads, but it could be fun to try. I don't know how you'd get an irregular hole. Perhaps you could glop the bead release a little where you intend to wind on the glass? I don't know if the BR would hold up to that or if it would break or flake, but you could always give it a try.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-01-22, 12:33pm
Loving learning

Thanks! Interesting ideas, if I can keep them in my head I can see what happens, LOL.

I think I need to get a notebook just for ideas. I have one for keeping track (if I remember) of what I do so I can look back when the kiln cools if one really makes me happy, but I need one for "things to do/try ~ inspiration" too.
Old 2012-01-23, 12:08pm
Lover of all things color

Kalera has a Geode bead on her site that I have loved looking at forever.

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=9698

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-23, 1:33pm
Loving learning

I looooove how the center is, just love it!
Old 2012-01-23, 1:38pm

Me too but I can't see me ever getting a lap saw so the chance of getting to make one are nill, not to mention that's way out of my level...LOL

But I can still look...

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-23, 5:57pm

do you mean "drusy"

Laurie

Old 2012-01-23, 6:23pm

Here is a thread I started. I hope this is the right way to link to a thread.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209270

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-01-23, 6:41pm
Loving learning

So many cool beads in that thread
Old 2012-01-24, 9:41am

Just for you information. I don't have a flat lap or a saw but many rock clubs have these machines. I don't know about in the U. S. but in Canada you can join the local rock club for a small fee (up here its 10.00 dollars) and just pay the drop in fee to use the equipment. The club that I am a member of has instructors that are more than happy to show you the proper way to use the machines and you use them almost the same for racks as you do glass. Some of the members of the club travel done to the states and do lapidary at the resorts they stay at for the winter and you maybe able to rent time in the resorts shop. The equipment is expensive to buy so it might be wise to try it before you buy it.

Old 2012-01-24, 9:58am

Good info Deb, and food for thought. There is a big lapidary school here in Ga that I have thought about taking classes at, it's just so far away.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-24, 5:21pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Interesting idea.....could you build a mandrel up with steel wool then dip the whole mess in bead release? That way you can create and irregular center that you can pull out when you are done. I have made these in polymer clay and used large crystal salt inside the ball of clay to create the crystal effect. When I slice the "ball" into slices, the salt falls out or I pick it out, leaving behind the crystalline impressions which create other crystal structures in between them. Sort of a bad description but there's the idea!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb