LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-25, 5:24pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Default Wine Bottle wine glasses............

Has anyone made wine glasses from cutting off the bottoms of wine bottles? I'd like to make a set for my SIL but don't know where to start. Is there a special tool/machine needed for cutting the bottle and how would I smooth out the top of the glass so it would be comfortable when drinking? Any suggestions or info would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Kathleen
Attached Images

My ETSY STORE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-25, 5:37pm

Yes, that would be Pam and I have to say her Grey Goose Vodka bottle finds are MAGNIFICENT as drinking glasses. I am sporadically collecting them from our bottle redemption center. So far, I have 3 and look forward to making a set- someday!

I'll let others give you tips as I'm in the major rookie category here.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-04-25, 5:40pm

Pam donated a couple to our Maine Glass Jam Door Prize collection. Are these not wonderful!!!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-04-25, 5:53pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Wow!!! Those glasses are great! Hopefully I'll get some tips on how to make them. Thanks for posting Sue

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2013-04-25, 5:59pm
Dynamic Duo

Every self-respecting hippie in the 1970 had all their glassware homemade from recycled wine bottles. you can also epoxy the tops of the bottles, next to flat or punted bottom (champagne bottles) and have stemware.

Old 2013-04-25, 6:01pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
Every self-respecting hippie in the 1970 had all their glassware homemade from recycled wine bottles. you can also epoxy the tops of the bottles, next to flat or punted bottom (champagne bottles) and have stemware.
In the 70's, I was in no condition to trust myself with a glasscutter!

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2013-04-25, 6:21pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Greetings,
Thanks Sue for the kudos.. I have cut mine with both a tile saw and a glass bottle cutter that you score a line and then use a candle and an ice cube to finish the crack. I love my tile saw but find that the glass bottle cutter is MUCH less messy. Both work fine.

I am very fortunate because I own a flat lap. I grind and polish the edge. The tricky thing is to add a slight bevel on the drinking glass. If you do it completely flat, it feels strange in your mouth. If you look at your drinking glasses, they are rounded on the top.

I wonder if you could fire polish the top if you pre-heat it in the kiln and then use your torch... Hmmm something for me to try this weekend.

pm me if you have any questions.

Pam
Old 2013-04-25, 6:24pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

I found this video........... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1386438.html Thanks Pam for the info. This looks like a fun (and useful) project. I have a glass sander that I use for sanding glass pieces for stained glass panels....would that round out the edges without breaking the bottle?

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2013-04-25, 6:32pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I use the flat lap to do the outside and if I am not feeling lazy, I use a dremmel for the inside to round it some. I mostly just round the outside. And, it is the Ephram's cutter I use. Some people have difficulties with it, but if you follow the directions, it is quite easy. If your glass sander is a grinder, I think that it can chip glass- depending on what your grit is. On the flat lap, I go all the way to a final polish with cerium oxide.
Old 2013-04-25, 6:37pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thanks Pam....found the Ephram's cutter on Amazon for $31. Will practice on some ugly bottles with my glass grinder. Worth a try anyway. Your Grey Goose glasses are so beautiful BTW. Oh, and good tip to round the edges

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2013-04-25, 7:56pm

Just be careful of the glass dust.
The edge can be fire polished if you have a glass lathe or something to evenly heat the top edge.
I have been sanding the edges on mine with wet dry sandpaper from the auto supply shop.
Just a little water seams to keep the dust under control.
Small strips of sand paper on dowels let me bevel the edge a bit.

Old 2013-04-25, 9:04pm
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Thanks Pam....found the Ephram's cutter on Amazon for $31. Will practice on some ugly bottles with my glass grinder. Worth a try anyway. Your Grey Goose glasses are so beautiful BTW. Oh, and good tip to round the edges
I have Ephram's bottle cutter it works well a bit of a learning curve but cuts a good straight line.

Have fun,

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-04-26, 4:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I have Ephram's bottle cutter it works well a bit of a learning curve but cuts a good straight line.

Have fun,
I cant get a bottle cutter to work, some have better luck with them. I use a wet saw with a good glass blade from hisglassworks.com and then polish on my expando drum.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-04-26, 6:37am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thanks to everyone for the good info I've already asked family and friends to save nicely colored bottles and ordered the cutter that Pam uses.

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2013-04-26, 4:05pm

Try the local night clubs and bars.
The thicker walled bottles, and non round bottles are harder to cut.