Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What clear do you prefer?
Moretti 18 9.09%
Vetrofond 74 37.37%
Lauscha 85 42.93%
Kugler 4 2.02%
Some other type that I'm about to tell you about! 25 12.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-27, 11:11am
I <3 My Attitude Problem

Default Which Clear?

Which clear do you use? What is it like and why do you like it? I need some more clear, and i know moretti can be bubbly and not that clear and I keep seeing all these different clears and what's what and why? lol!
Old 2007-08-27, 11:16am
Formerly known as LT

Vetrofond Crystal Clear for 104 and system 96 for my reichenbach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-27, 11:43am
yukue fumei

Precision Diamond Clear for R4 studios(also available at Glasscraft, Frantz Glass)
It is stable--no bubbles, takes heat well with no scumming. Silver foil stays silver. No cracking issues so far for me....I love it! It is a bit pricier than regular clear, but for me, it is worth it.
There is another clear soon to be available from Indiana, but have not heard when it will actually be for sale. It looks like it will be awesome, though.

nagi

Old 2007-08-27, 12:33pm

Moretti for the inside filler on things I am going to cover anyway. It's cheap and compatible. Lauscha for encasing and surface glass.
Old 2007-08-27, 1:16pm
Entropy increasing....

I got some of the new Kugler clear 104 last week. Seriously disappointed. At $30 a lb?

Looks worse than Vetro. It's a blue glass, looks great in the rod.

I have been using some CIM Cirrus for encasing. I kind of like the effect.

Old 2007-08-27, 1:45pm

Kevan I love your photographs! Wonderful!!!! Did you have to do a bit of research to photograph beads so well or did you know cameras before you photographed beads? Really nice!
Linda
Old 2007-08-27, 2:22pm

Kevan- I've used cirrus to encase quite a bit as well- I love it- your's looks great!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-08-27, 2:28pm
Entropy increasing....

Thanks Jessica and Linda.

Linda, I have always taken photos for my paintings of flower really close up, so I knew something about it to begin with, but I have gone through quite a bit of trial and error. Then Scott Tanner told me to stop using the light tent. lol

I have a good camera, also. I have a Nikon D50 with a macro lens.
Old 2007-08-27, 7:43pm
Super Duper

I can never figure out how so many people use vetro. One batch is great, the next is garbage, I don't want to have to order a rod from each batch to make sure the stuff I'm getting wont go in the trash.

I use lauscha in all diameters, as well as moretti in the thicker diameters.
Old 2007-08-28, 12:23am
Formerly known as LT

If you clean your vetrofond you may find less problems with it. I haven't received a bad batch but if I ever do I know Frantz will take it back. Most glass suppliers will make it right for you if something is wrong all you have to do is ask.

Old 2007-08-28, 12:31am
Entropy increasing....

What is meant by "peeling"? I have never seen this done.
Old 2007-08-28, 12:42am
Super Duper

You quickly heat a section of the outside of the rod so that the heat doesn't penetrate the rod and pull off the outer surface with tweezers. It takes time and you need thicker rods but it works.
Old 2007-08-28, 1:10am
Entropy increasing....

Thanks, Ryan!
Old 2007-08-28, 2:09am
I need more boro stuff

So is that mean you have to peel the clear first b4 making bead, right?

What did you do with the outer surface? goes to bin?

Old 2007-08-28, 8:19am
da General

Diamond Clear when I use silver glass . . . which is most of the time! LOL!

Vetrofond Crystal Clear otherwise.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-08-28, 8:37am
ManBearPig

I used to swear by Lauscha clear. Now I swear at it. I have had nothing but problems with it recently. Supposedly they reformulated it not too long ago, but I haven't tried it since then so I can't comment on it.

We sell Diamond Clear and Vetrofond Clear and haven't had a problem with either of them. Diamond Clear is more expensive. For things with heavy encasement (like florals and things with a lot of layers of clear) I like the Diamond Clear. For just regular encasing, the Vetrofond works fine.

Old 2007-08-28, 11:05am
Storm Queen

I don't do a lot of encasing but when I do I now use Diamond Clear. It spreads on like butter.

Old 2007-08-28, 11:16am
yukue fumei

WOOOHOO!
The new clear is ready--I don't know what they call it, but it is from agp studios
$30/pound for ~10mm rod
$28/pound for regular sized rods

contact Lora:
219-838-4527
their line is down, but it will give you a cel phone to call. I didn't want to post the cel number since I think it is her private number.

I can't wait till it arrives!! YAY!

nagi

Old 2007-08-28, 3:58pm
Super Duper

I love how clear glass is becoming one of the most expensive types...
Old 2007-08-28, 4:33pm

I just started getting casing down. I had been using Lauscha, because I heard how beautiful is was. Everything cracked. So I will be trying Vetro.

Amy
Old 2007-08-28, 6:28pm
Super Duper

If you still have any lauscha left, try heating the bead to the point where it starts moving a bit (but only a bit, no point smearing after you have the encasing on) and letting it settle before putting it in the kiln. Also you may want to try annealing a little higher.
Old 2007-08-30, 2:31am
Entropy increasing....

Ok, I have found a clear I think I'm happy with. Vetrofond Crystal Clear in 10mm rods.

Old 2007-08-30, 6:26am

I started using Diamond Clear and have been very happy with it, in spite of the price!
No cracks, fizzing, etc., no headaches...and now I have a few pounds of Lauscha to unload...grrr.
Kim

[/size]
Old 2007-08-30, 5:16pm

I've had too many problems with any other clear than the vetrofond ... but I haven't tried the diamond clear. I use all the old moretti I bought as the base to encase over too.

Sadie

Old 2008-01-18, 3:26pm

I love the TAG Super Clear so much that I begged Paul to make more here at Trautman Art Glass. I know Paula D is getting it in at Flamedame.com, and she is running a special on TAG glass through the end of the month... I'd love to know how it compares to the Diamond clear. ~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-01-18, 3:30pm
Isinglass Design

Oh we keep going over this. It's all so confusing, and everybody seems to like different things. I like Lauscha, especially since I now know to anneal it a bit higher, and not to use it with most of the kuglers. The Kugler clear is nice, but only if they've managed to get the line of scum off of it!

Laurie
Old 2008-01-20, 3:30am

I'm a vetro girl, but I will admit there are a few times I pull out a rod and melt it only to find the blasted thing is scratched and ends up being a under-stuff" glass.
But at least I don't have incompatability cracks with it.

Old 2008-01-22, 5:14pm

Thanl you for all your responses. I was just about to but some and was not sure what way to go.
Old 2008-01-24, 8:59pm
MomOnAMission

So glad I found this thread Thank you for all that added their input & advice.
Old 2008-01-27, 8:21pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Does the diamond clear "play nice" across the board? Meaning . . . can I safely use it with Moretti, Vetrofond AND silvered glass, both R4 and DH??

I've tried it all, except for diamond clear and I'm to the point where I'll pay more for something that's decent.