LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2007-03-20, 6:04am
Viking Flame Keeper

Default Stuck knob! What to do?

Yesterday when I went to turn on my torch the knob on the connector was stuck and wouldn't move at all in either direction. It looks exactly like this (see picture) and the knob I'm talking about is the top bit with the sticker.

I called DH and his toolbox to help me but he couldn't open it either. It worked fine on Sunday and I didn't do anything unusual when I turned it off either. I suppose I should be glad it's stuck in the OFF position...
Also, I tried to un-screw the connector from the regulator (this connector goes on the tank and the regulator goes next on the right hand bit) but it was screwed on pretty darn tight as well. It un-screws from the tank just fine.

Is it time to buy a new one or does anyone here have a trick or two up his/her sleeve that could help me?

Should I perhaps buy a new pancake regulator as well and have the guy in the hardware shop connect them properly for me? I'm pretty sure that's what I had them do when I bought this set three years ago.

And it's so typical to have this happen on a day when I had so much inspiration and a deadline! (Little sister's b-day on Thursday and I was going to make a bunch of beads for a bracelet/earring set for her....)

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-20, 8:24am
Safety ALWAYS

If you can't get it to loosen with a wrench, then the valve is toast. Time to get a new one -- forcing it with a wrench usually screws up the threads anyway.

For future reference -- finger tight is usually all these valves need to tighten and seal, especially when new. As time goes by and the valve seat begins to wear, they need additional tightening beyond finger tight, but if it starts to take a wrench to tighten them or loosen them, replace the valve.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-20, 8:25am
Safety ALWAYS

Beyond finger tight means hand tightening (meaning you use your entire hand and wrist to tighten (or loosen) the valve).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-20, 8:53am
Viking Flame Keeper

Thanks Mike! I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a new one.
I'll try one more time to un-screw the regulator but if that doesn't work I'll get a new reg. as well.

Bleh, it's not payday until Friday (we get paid once a month here) so funds are a bit tight right now. Grocery money but that's about it... Double bleh.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.