Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-29, 3:41pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Default What White Do I Use

Hi everyone.
I was wondering, what white do you use? If useing 104. Is one of these better than the other? Effetre, Vetrofond or Lauscha.
Old 2008-05-29, 4:59pm
Ad astra per aspera

I adore Messy Color's Peace white. It's stiffer than Effetre (which I always found to be frustratingly soft), doesn't react with anything, and is just a nice bright white. Oh, it also doesn't sink into black. AND while I'm on the subject, Messy Color's Hades is a splendid black, too....pure black, no purple fading. These two make perfect black & white dot beads together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-29, 7:18pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i like vetro and effetre basic white - i'm probably one of the few people who absolutely loves the soupiness of this colour. it's great for gravity sculpting and nearly drips off the mandrel with just a little heat...

i tried anice white but it looks just like plain white but scorches and reduces really easily so haven't figured out quite what do with it yet... (suggestions anyone? besides the jim kervin organic effects at least?)

my second fave is the various alabastro whites - they burn really easily and crack like crazy if you heat them too fast but the translucent whites they produce are really quite cool...

third fave white is Reichenbach r60 opaline - found out by accident it reduces to a really cool metallic grey colour - and it's soupy soft too so great for sculpting.

and then finally Val Cox silver lake white frit blend. that stuff is just awesome, takes on a different personality with every glass i use...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-05-29, 8:04pm

Lauscha white doesn't go clear in the flame if that helps. But it's more expensive than Effetre. I haven't used Peace yet but I have heard good things.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-29, 9:51pm
I need more boro stuff

I bought once vetro white from Morretti and more, and they are really dense white

Old 2008-05-29, 10:05pm
Dare to be different.

I love peace also, my favorite white by far.

Old 2008-05-29, 10:15pm
and your little dog too

ditto on messy "Peace"

Old 2008-05-30, 3:54am
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Thanks everyone, guess I'll have to try that peace white too.