Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-19, 9:19am

Default Czech two-tone rods

I am currently in Jablonec, Czech Republic. This is the home of most of the Czech glass and the Czech beads. I have visited here several times, but this is the first time since I started lampworking myself.
In my favorite antique shop, I just came across some beautiful looking glass rods. They are all two-tone: one side is transparant, and the other side is an opaque or (seemingly) shampoo glass. They are divided through the middle. Most are in a variation of pinks and purples. They are very dirty, but some really sparkle.
According to the dealer (who speaks no English, and only a little German) it is an 'old glass' but very good.
So, does this sound familiar to anyone? I have bought some, but consider going back for more. I can not test it here, and not sure what would work well to make with this glass just yet. And have to consider the weight, obviously. I know about the compatibility issues with Czech glass, but I often make spacer beads with just one type of glass.
Old 2013-08-19, 10:25am
Glass-aholic

I would buy it, but I'm a glass junkie. If its multi colored already I would day get the ones you like the most for one color beads (one rod that is) and I wouldn't look back if its a good deal! Just get colors you would be happy with if your experimentation does not go well.

Ps nice find!

Oh and I'm sure you could always offload them in the garage sale if nothing else.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-19, 10:56am
Slogan Challenged...

I'll second the garage sale idea, they sound really interesting. It isn't recycled glass of some sort? Or perhaps used for pressed beads?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-08-19, 11:43am

Thanks for your answers. It is not for pressed beads, as they are the size of lampwork rods. The rods for pressing beads are usually about an inch thick. Could be for pressing glass stones, as those are sometimes made at the torch as well.
I think they may have been used for making lampwork flowers, can imagine that that would work with these. I have just had a workshop on making hollow beads, I think that that would look cool with these. I did buy a rod of each different color/shade, just wondering if I should get more.....
Hoping to still visit the glass factory here where they make the rods currently, might bring a piece with me, see if they recognize it.
Old 2013-08-21, 10:31pm

I have some of that, mostly in blues and greens. I've never figured out COE and only use it alone, but I love it. Great find! Buy more. Lots.
Old 2013-08-21, 11:25pm
Naysayer

heck yeah, buy it!
Old 2013-08-22, 6:10am

Just came back from Desna, where the factory is that makes the glass for pretty much all Bohemian beads and glass rods. I was allowed in the warehouse and also saw some of this glass. Not the same colors, but the very specific two-tone glass. From the samples it was clear that this glass is made to be pressed into small glass stones/cabs. The variety of glass they have is amazing!
Old 2013-08-22, 7:27am

Sounds like you are having a great glass trip!! Too bad glass is so heavy, or you could bring back a load for the Garage Sale.

Stay safe,
Helene
Old 2013-08-22, 8:59am

You do not know the half of it.... It has been a bead and glass trip to the German towns of Idar Oberstein (agate beads), Lauscha (lampwork, marbles and hollow glass), Neugablonz (glass beads and jewelry) and now in Jablonec, in Czech Republic. I'll see if I can find a place on here where a trip report would fit in.
Old 2013-08-22, 11:09pm
Naysayer

^post in the family room

sounds like an amazing trip!
Old 2013-08-23, 10:53am

As you may or may not have noticed, I have posted it here in this section: 'how they make beads in Germany and Czech Republic'.
Old 2013-08-23, 5:26pm
Naysayer

I just saw it now, sorry! Can't wait to read!