Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-05-19, 6:40pm
Always with a smile!

Deb I pm'd you, please check!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Old 2009-07-27, 5:50pm
Angel's Mom

Default Demos

Are 2 short demos ok instead of 1 big one? I still feel like a newbie, so I'm not going to demo any big honkin' beads, just two (hopefully) cool little ones.
Old 2009-07-27, 9:52pm

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I thought maybe I'd go so fast that I'd be done in just a few minutes instead of the usual longer time. Thought if that happened, maybe I'd just make another. I'm a first-timer at Glasstock, and not too worried about the demo. Just occurred that I might get nervous and go fast.
Old 2009-07-27, 10:06pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Guys, guys, guys....this is a DEMO, you're not giving a lecture
or defending your thesis in front of a committee.
A "short demo" is ALL that's required. And honestly, with some
60+ people to get through, that's all that's WANTED!

No one has to do sculptural goddesses, or encased garden beads.
JUST A QUICKIE. Doesn't even have to be a bead. Say, if you found
a neat way to use a graphite paddle that allows you to do something
special, YOU CAN DEMO THAT TOO.

Yes, there WILL be people there doing "big" demos -but you do NOT
have to be one of them. SERIOUSLY. It's just to show people something
interesting OR new that you are doing (or even something old that you
feel comfortable with) and show it.

Cross my heart - it will be so easy you'll be kicking yourself when it is done.

Matter of fact - EVERYONE who does the demo AND thinks it's SOOOO
much easier than they thought it would be AND wonders why the heck
they worried SO much about it in the first place - owes me a bead.
I'll take all those beads and make some nice jewelry out of it to
auction off next year. I'll call it the "Damn, demos really ARE easy at
Glass Stock" bracelet (or necklace ).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2009-07-27 at 10:10pm.
Old 2009-07-27, 10:37pm

That's so funny. I just sent a message to Doretha Jones saying I plan to do a sculptural goddess. (But mine will be easy boro.)
Old 2009-07-27, 10:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

You guys are funny.

I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to figure out what I can do quickly, because I think I average about an hour a bead and I don't want to demo that long.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-07-27, 11:55pm
Lovin the Lampworker life

Hi everyone!!! Last year I was sitting next to Deb when the lightning bolt of the Man Auction Idea hit her in the head. It was very impromptu and VERY fun and WHAT a great idea!!!! I won John Lindquist with the bid of $169.69 (turned out to be a popular bid that night) and he made me the MOST awesome boro sea turtle sculpture that I would have been more than happy to pay WAY more for, I got the deal of the century AND got to sit there watching him make it!!! Yeah, and he is pretty easy on the eyes and (we found out later) has a very nice singing voice as well! A boro boy of many talents!! I can't wait to see everyone!!!
OK, just remember to email me what you've decided to do as your demo as I'm in charge of organizing that and from reading the posts I don't want to put down what you THINK you are going to do, I need a final decision to my email dvmeow@aol.com. Don't be scared! There is so much going on that it is a whirlwind of demos and activities. Everyone is nice and fun and helpful. WAHOO GLASS STOCK!!!!!

Doretha Jones, D.V.M.
Carlisle Mini CC, Lucio Burner and Hellcat, on tank oxygen
Old 2009-07-28, 12:45am
He can do the origami

I think I will demo how to light a torch

Otter
Old 2009-07-28, 7:20am
I'm meeeeelting

It's taken me 2 1/2 years to almost master how to use a striker, so I may find your demo helpful.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-07-28, 11:46am
Type ZZZ personality

Ha! Otter was one of those people who was so scared of the demo he almost didn't come to GS! A few of us had to stand around him to make sure he didn't bolt!

And NOW look at him! He's teaching!! So it's really not bad at all.

That said, I still have to figure out what I'm going to do.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-07-28, 11:54am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I think I will demo how to light a torch

Otter
I will demo how to hand you a lighter when you can't get that striker to work.

Old 2009-07-28, 10:24pm
He can do the origami

lol Patty and karen!!

Yes for all of those people out there that are even slightly intimidated or nervous about the demo..... DO NOT BE NERVOUS!!! Patty is not exaggerating...I almost did not go to Glass Stock the first year because I was so nervous about the demo.... and as the time drew near for me to start my demo, I had already gathered all my tools and stuff I brought, I was going to bolt for the door and go home!!!! They really were surrounding me making sure I wouldn't leave. If you are feeling nervous, come and get me, I will sit right down next to you for moral support, that is a promise. So many people were willing to do that for me.

Contrary to what I thought, EVERYONE supported me and people asked questions and they were interested and EVERYONE cheered me on. It was amazing! I enjoyed it soooooo much!

Also, the demo is the PERFECT way to start Glass Stock, it totally breaks the ice and prepares you to work in front of others and with others. I am a total hack... I can't believe they are letting me teach..... but we ALL have something we can learn from everyone else.

PLEASE do not be nervous or hold back, you will do a disservice to yourself and to the others around you. We all do things differently and so there is such a rich environment to learn from each other. This goes for open torch time as well..... TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT, ask instructors to show you anything you may want to learn from them and TEACH OTHERS as well. I will learn sooooooo much more than I will teach at Glass Stock.... but only if people do not allow their fear to restrict them.

O.K. I will get off my soap box now.....but I speak from experience and if anyone that saw me that first year knows how scared I was. Glass Stock has changed my artistic life and it has done so every time I have attended.

Otter
Old 2009-07-29, 9:32am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I will demo how to hand you a lighter when you can't get that striker to work.
LOL!

Now I'm thinking my demo might be too long. But I'm sooo looking forward to Glass Stock, I'm not even going to worry about it. And it's only a month away. Woo hoo!!! I cannot wait!!!

Old 2009-07-29, 9:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
It's taken me 2 1/2 years to almost master how to use a striker, so I may find your demo helpful.
Get one of these
http://glasscraftinc.com/product/product_detail.cfm?part_id=6971"]http://glasscraftinc.com/product/pro...m?part_id=6971[/url]

A suggestion to make your demo easier ~ pull any stringer, make murrini or whatever components that you need before you get to Glass Stock and bring them with you. Unless, of course, that is your demo. That will make you less nervous and it will speed up the demo process.

Looking forward to seeing you all and meeting new friends..... even if I don't even have a clue as to what I will demo... yet ....

Last edited by Crazy Woman; 2009-07-29 at 1:49pm.
Old 2009-07-29, 1:32pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

I just timed my demo. It's actually quite a bit shorter than I imagined. Whodathunkit! I feel better now. LOL!

Old 2009-08-01, 9:04pm
Wooohooo,GS!

You folks are all just awesome! Karen, Patty and Otter, you are all what makes Glass Stock so much fun!!! I really appreciate you all taking the time to explain, coax, coddle and even surround the scared, "deer in the headlights" looking people! There is so much support there it really isn't nearly as bad as you think

If our darling Otter can come from hiding near the exit to wearing a tin foil hat 2 nights later you can guess how fast he got over it (especially for such a shy guy, we love you Otter!!!)

It is totally ok for the demo to run long....I usually do a foil fish (no surprise there, lol) that takes an hour or so. We also have several people going at a time so no one feels the spot light so much.

The best part is everyone's demo goes into a draw and everyone wins someone else's demo (uh, I did win my own the first year...go figure...I traded). PLUS getting to watch 70 demos rocks too!

Jill,will check my PM box...sorry!

Been working hard revamping my studio, cleaning and rearranging for the new crucible kiln, wooohooo~! Can't wait to start blowing in the furnace again!!! So I apologize for not posting sooner, lots of work with sponsors, shirts and such this last 2 weeks too!

PLEASE do not forget to email Patty your T-shirt size and how you want your name on shirts (like Otter ) or your name won't be on them and you won't have one in your bag. They are a repeat of one of the most popular shirts, the crab blowing on a sunset beach!

So, no worries on the demos, we just need type of glass and basic description (foil fish, Moretti) BY MONDAY also please! Doretha has a lot of work to do getting the demo schedule board done!

Hugs and see you all soon, deb

Old 2009-08-01, 9:06pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Great suggestions Leslie! That will help a lot of you to be prepared!
Can't wait to see you and all the rest of the group soon!
deb

Old 2009-08-01, 9:14pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Default You adorable hack you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
lol Patty and karen!!

Also, the demo is the PERFECT way to start Glass Stock, it totally breaks the ice and prepares you to work in front of others and with others. I am a total hack... I can't believe they are letting me teach..... but we ALL have something we can learn from everyone else.

PLEASE do not be nervous or hold back, you will do a disservice to yourself and to the others around you. We all do things differently and so there is such a rich environment to learn from each other. This goes for open torch time as well..... TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT, ask instructors to show you anything you may want to learn from them and TEACH OTHERS as well. I will learn sooooooo much more than I will teach at Glass Stock.... but only if people do not allow their fear to restrict them.

O.K. I will get off my soap box now.....but I speak from experience and if anyone that saw me that first year knows how scared I was. Glass Stock has changed my artistic life and it has done so every time I have attended.
Otter
Dear Otter, you will never be "a hack" in my book, you are just awesome and I wouldn't have anyone teaching that I didn't know the crowds would adore as much as I do!

YOU have changed our lives every time too Otter, I thank you for it. He really speaks the truth, you get out of it what you are willing to give it.....it is really a life and art changing event if you allow it to be.

Thanks for being you and my friend, xo deb

Old 2009-08-01, 9:16pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Kris, 2 little ones is great too! We love them all, really we do! Remember, we all started with the same "little beads" and it really makes me appreciate 20 years on the torch when I see someone who just started. We all come from the same place
Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-03, 1:11pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Well, it looks like most of you have sent in your demo info, thank you! I did want to mention that last year's auction raised money for tools and scholarships. I have given 2 scholarships away a year for 6 years, this year we added some that weren't announced, all were chosen by 3 staff members.

We gave away the 2 for Hardship, 2 for people who contribute a lot to the Lampworking community and 2 for people who's continued support of the event warranted help this year as well. We do not announce the recipients but there were a total of 6 scholarships granted this year thanks to the generosity of attendees last year!

See you all soon!
Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-03, 3:53pm

Deb,
That story is just awesome. Things like the scholarships demonstrate in a very real way that glass folk are a community of caring people.
Joan
Old 2009-08-03, 4:37pm
I'm meeeeelting

Deb, are you talking about the man auction or is there going to be another auction?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-04, 7:54am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Joan! This event has never been about financial growth, just growth of the muse! I don't want to single out people who got the scholarships, we never do for their sake. I added other contingencies instead of hardship to the 4 new ones to get some folks here that otherwise couldn't make it. One recipient has done a LOT for the lampworking community without asking for anything so this is our way of saying thanks! Can't wait to meet that sweetie in person!!

Felicia, yes, the man auction is Friday night, we will also have an auction and raffles for some killer pieces being donated as well as my Hawaiian flowers and some really fine art glass.

The man auction proceeds will be split with the men this year...they are going to "work it"....it should be way more fun than last year (and that was a riot!!!). The rest will go towards paying for some of the equipment to keep GS going. The wear and tear on the equipment after 7 years adds up! We also will have the grinder purchased from last years man auction for glassblowing classes.

The "woman auction" is open to any girl who wants to donate her time to make something and ALL the proceeds will go to either our Animal Shelter or our local Women's Shelter, your choice, checks will be made out to either charity and will be delivered in person as a surprise to the charity That is also Friday night....we do the auction at 7-8 and then they make the pieces for winners from 8-10 pm.

There will be 2 8" flat laps for purchase there, one is sold already.

AND Paragon has stepped in as the bead kiln sponsor this year, woohooo Paragon! They will have some super deals on the bead kilns we will be using limited to the ones on site so check with us the first day if interested! Also, super deals on the Carlisle torches we will be using, I always pass on the super deals, we never mark up or make $$ on any of the equipment or sponsor sales. The featured sponsors come at NO cost to them, another thank you, so buy away at best deals you are going to get, first come first to get them!

The other auction and raffles will go towards more scholarships next year as well as new tools we need!! There will be beads, blown glass, tools and some other misc items at super deals! If you would like to donate something for the auction to help keep GS going and tuition so low, please bring it to the Meet N Greet at my house Wed night, more info on that and directions in last update due out around the 15th. Anything for donation is appreciated and welcomed! That auction will be Thurs night after dinner

We have 70 people attending, this is going to be another awesome year!

Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-04, 12:56pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Oh my gosh, I get a rush every time someone posts in this thread!!

Old 2009-08-04, 4:48pm
I'm meeeeelting

I know! Only one more month. I'm feeling like I have a lot to get done between now and then, though.

Deb, will there be any mini cc torches? I've been thinking about getting one and may have to snag one if it's available.

I'll bring glass for auction or raffle.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2009-08-04, 6:39pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Lisa, I know......it is crazy here getting ready but I so love this event it keeps me pushing on

Felicia, YES, Mini-CC's with the "Crowley" marver also Hellcats, all at super prices at event only. I think there are 8 Minis for sale (the rest are mine) but they do go really fast! Make sure you give me your name to hold one as soon as the safety meeting is over first morning. You will pay Carlisle directly and we can't advertise the price here, sorry, you ahve to be an attendee to get that price!

Thanks for the donation Felicia, any are appreciated and we also have a "door prize" drawing at end, most years more than half win something then too. Make sure we have donations in hand by Meet N Greet Wed night so we can get them all ready for auction Thursday Night, it is also Hat night.

Friday night is Man/Woman auction and Sat night is Pajama Jam, yippee! Make sure to bring those jammies!!

Also, I have gotten a couple waivers already, please wait until the entry to event as this is easier, we will ask for that and check a picture ID, get your 2 sponsor Thank You items, then you get your goody bag and badge.

Also make sure you bring any items you need to complete your demos, we do have a lot of glass and if you can use any colors we sure can provide them. If you need certain colors or materials, please bring just enough to complete your demo. We provide all the rest of the supplies except for fee classes.

If you have a PMC class your fees MUST be paid by the 15th! Contact me if you have not been invoiced by Bernie yet!

Looking forward to another great year! Hugs deb

Old 2009-08-05, 11:12am
San Diego Toni

I am going to demo how to apply a "GLASS STOCK" tattoo to Otter's head.

xoxo
t

Old 2009-08-05, 12:13pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni L. View Post

xoxo
t
Next year I will be offering a "tin-foil hat making workshop" with Otter.

Old 2009-08-05, 12:58pm

Too funny you guys!!! Can't wait to see ya!

Old 2009-08-05, 4:16pm
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni L. View Post

xoxo
t
What???

Otter