Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-24, 3:03pm
one day at a time

Default Shipping beads - boxes, bubble mailers, or both?

I have been mailing beads for 7 years and have never had any breakage or loss out of a package. I mail the economic way - beads placed in small ziploc, wrapped round and round with a few layers of bubble wrap and taped, then placed in a bubble mailer.

It's very plain looking, but keeps the cost down for me, and the price very low for my customers. I see no reason to change although I could if necessary. I have never received any complaints, so....

How do you package yours?

In boxes with padding inside

Or bubble wrapped/bubble mailer

Or box and padding/bubble mailer

I don't need to know details of the "frills" added, but you can add them in your post of you want.

For those of you who don't use boxes to mail your beads, has a customer ever complained that you didn't send them in a box?? My beads have no projections, so I never worried about things popping off.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-01-24 at 3:05pm.
Old 2010-01-24, 3:58pm
da General

Bead(s)
in Chinese silk pouch
in padded box
wrapped with bubble wrap
along with postcard and receipt in bubble mailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-24, 5:06pm
Burning Fingers!

Beads rolled in tissue
in padded box tied with ribbon
wrapped in bubble wrap with card
in kraft envelope - taped all around edges.

/
/
/

Old 2010-01-24, 6:23pm
Goddess

I do mine the same way you do Lisi. It has always worked for me and it does keep costs down for everyone. Besides, my beads normally don't fit well in a jewelry box and by the time I pad it with bubble wrap the bubble mailer is nearly round and costs a fortune to ship!

Old 2010-01-24, 6:51pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderCreek View Post
I do mine the same way you do Lisi. It has always worked for me and it does keep costs down for everyone. Besides, my beads normally don't fit well in a jewelry box and by the time I pad it with bubble wrap the bubble mailer is nearly round and costs a fortune to ship!
I'm glad to read that, Teresa! I had the same problem, with the frills adding weight. Take a look at my policies and read my take on shipping packages. Some of my customers got a kick out of that, LOL!
Old 2010-01-24, 6:56pm
Does it come in purple?

I mail the same as you Lisi. I put them in an organza bag as well, looks nice especially if it's a gift.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2010-01-24, 7:01pm
Experimentalist

I don't complain, but I'm always surprised when I receive lampwork NOT in a box. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Then again, wrapping REALLY well with bubble wrap is significantly different than shipping oversees in a few sheets of tissue wrap. WTF! But I digress...

Old 2010-01-24, 7:08pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have been shipping glass beads for about ten years. I keep it very simple and the costs down. I wrap the beads in a ziploc and tape that securely. Then I put that in a larger ziploc with my business card and tape that securely. Then it goes in the bubble mailer. Dats it! Why is there a need to overdue it unless it is sculptural?

Never had a broken bead, nor a complaint. I also am able to keep my bead prices down and they move well.

I have the same business habits with my jewelry sales locally. Keep it simple and everyone is happy.

When I receive packages of beads from others, yes it is nice they are in a box but truthfully, I would be just as happy without it. I rip it open so fast to get to the jewel inside anyways.

If my beads were sixty dollars a piece.......well ya, I would have a box, tissue, pretty ribbon etc.

Old 2010-01-24, 7:15pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I have been shipping glass beads for about ten years. I keep it very simple and the costs down. I wrap the beads in a ziploc and tape that securely. Then I put that in a larger ziploc with my business card and tape that securely. Then it goes in the bubble mailer. Dats it! Why is there a need to overdue it unless it is sculptural?

Never had a broken bead, nor a complaint. I also am able to keep my bead prices down and they move well.

I have the same business habits with my jewelry sales locally. Keep it simple and everyone is happy.

When I receive packages of beads from others, yes it is nice they are in a box but truthfully, I would be just as happy without it. I rip it open so fast to get to the jewel inside anyways.

If my beads were sixty dollars a piece.......well ya, I would have a box, tissue, pretty ribbon etc.
Yep, I agree with you and I feel better about what I'm doing.
Old 2010-01-24, 7:19pm
Jacqueline Parkes

But , just to clarify. I do double myself at times like you are now.

Maybe our customers don't speak up but do care somewhat?

But then again, do you have good sales? The sales speak for themselves imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Yep, I agree with you and I feel better about what I'm doing.

Old 2010-01-24, 7:40pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
But , just to clarify. I do double myself at times like you are now.

Maybe our customers don't speak up but do care somewhat?

But then again, do you have good sales? The sales speak for themselves imo.
I do but people can be so funny about the most insignificant things....like maybe I would get even more repeat customers if they got theirs with a little more personal touch, and a lot more frilly fancy??

I'm getting paranoid now! LOL
Old 2010-01-24, 7:55pm
Experimentalist

I say change only if it feels right for you... for your business... not because you're worried what the customer thinks.

Old 2010-01-24, 8:09pm

I agree with Laura...you can't aim to please every individual.
I would keep things simple and practical. Maybe if it was a very expensive order, you could put a little 'frill' to it - a card, a box, a ribbon. Something small.
Old 2010-01-24, 8:32pm
da General

Before I started making them, I used to buy lampworked beads on eBay. I always appreciated the beadmakers who would take the time to put together a nice presentation, as well as protect my purchases in a box. Therefore when I started making beads and selling them, I started doing the same. I only charge $2.00 for shipping so am not passing the "frill" costs to the customers.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-24, 8:42pm
one day at a time

I thought about wrapping them in metallic paper and tying a little bow with a ribbon. It's not expensive and something my husband can do.
Old 2010-01-24, 9:06pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I thought about wrapping them in metallic paper and tying a little bow with a ribbon. It's not expensive and something my husband can do.
I think little touches like that make a big difference. Even if only on the subconscious.

Old 2010-01-24, 9:16pm
Sparkle Strumpet

I wrap in tissue for color...no other reason, except I like it. tuck into a tight ziplock bag so that they don't move. Bubble wrap that....place business card in bottom of box, beads on card, and stuff the box tight with peanuts.

I have an idea that if the beads can't move, they won't break.....probably nothing to support that, though...

Then I tape the box shut in both directions....

I've used bubble mailers and liked them fine, then I found a great deal on 100 boxes....so I switched....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2010-01-26, 5:52pm

As a buyer of some really nice beads, I've appreciated the extra touch - special wrapping is like a wonderful present. It isn't necessary, but the feeling is different for the person who opens the package. And from the seller, it says "What I do is special. Enjoy!" It's another side of being creative, too.

If what you are doing works, it works, but even a touch of colored paper seems special.
Old 2010-01-26, 6:15pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Depending on the size and cost of the bead... I will put beads in a padded box then in a organza bag, wrapped in tissue and either put in a bubble mailer or one of those small Priority Mail boxes. Don't forget the receipt and a business card

Old 2010-01-26, 6:27pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon View Post
As a buyer of some really nice beads, I've appreciated the extra touch - special wrapping is like a wonderful present. It isn't necessary, but the feeling is different for the person who opens the package. And from the seller, it says "What I do is special. Enjoy!" It's another side of being creative, too.

If what you are doing works, it works, but even a touch of colored paper seems special.
This is the first post I've ever read that makes me wish I did fancier packaging.

What I do now, since Lisa asked:
Bead-roll it in 8" long strip of bubble wrap-wrap that in a sheet of colored tissue like an egg roll-wrap that in the folded paypal packing slip- put that into a white poly bubble mailer with the paypal shipping on it.

If it is a fish or something fragile- I wrap in colored tissue-place into a hard plastic bead box-wrap that in the strip of bubble wrap-roll that in tissue like an egg roll-put into the folded packing slip and into a bubble mailer.

They are safe. They end up with like 5 of 6 layers of bubble wrap all around them and the box for some (which is re-usable bead storage for jewelry makers).

But they aren't fancy. I think I might try to fancy it up a bit this year. Thanks.
~~Mary

Old 2010-01-26, 7:00pm
Life is change. Love it

I wrap in tissue paper then a single layer of bubble wrap. This goes into a hard mailer which goes into a bubble mailer. Since this almost always goes through a mail slot I mail for free to my established customers and charge $3-5.00 for all others. I have very positive comments about my mailing and have never had a broken bead

Old 2010-01-26, 7:31pm
Lampworkaholic!

I wrap my beads in tissue paper (magenta!) and bubble wrap and they go in a box, usually first class for one set and if it is multiple sets, regular priority mail (not the flat rate).

I almost always include bonus beads (small orphans, a pair of frit beads or something nicer for a big order). People seem to love getting the extras (and I always have some of those around). They go in a little ziploc inside an organza pouch (matching the tissue paper!) so it is clear it is a gift and not a mistake.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-26, 9:29pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I only use a box if I am shipping a large order overseas, and sad to say, I don't do any of the fancy stuff as I usually use just bubble wrap (lots) and padded envelopes with a handwritten card and my business card in it. I never thought about the frills - I suppose because my "real" job is running a distribution/processing center and it never entered my mind!! Then one day I got a package from Elizabeth (erose) with her wonderful packaging and thought to myself -WOW! How great is this!! and I realized that my packaging sucks. I probably need to think about being able to combine both pretty and safe in the coming months. I do always put in "bonus" beads (usually spares or tests) of some of the beads that I have for sale and have gotten several additional sales and custom requests this way. After reading this post tho - I really want to get a package from Hayley!!! LOL!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-27, 3:51pm
one day at a time

Okay, I'm convinced! I will dress mine up a bit!
Old 2010-01-27, 10:18pm

I wrap my beads in tissue, then an organza bag ... beads go in a box with bubble wrap to cushion against the size of the box, CD's go in cd cd case then tissue and then bubble wrap over the tissue ... card, thank you note and in a TYvec or waterproof envelope (usually folder over once) ... I charge $2.95 and probably need to up it lately as it's not covering the cost...

Oh and I've always believed presentation counts .. not immediate gratitude ... but down the road it counts.

Sadie

Old 2010-01-27, 10:28pm
Experimentalist

I like the idea (thanks, Yvon, for your elloquence) of having your presentation reflect how you feel about your work.

Old 2010-01-27, 10:39pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

- Beads wrapped in bubble wrap
- in padded gift box tied with ribbon
- business card tucked under ribbon
- Thank You note written on packing slip
- in Kraft envelope (overseas in bubble wrap envelope)
- taped all around the edges as well as taped over sender & recipient address

Oh, and one of my best customers is very much into recycling. She requested me to get rid of the bubble wrap and wrap the beads into kitchen towel which she reuses to clean (she's VERY wealthy). I asked her if I should not send the bead in the gift box, but she decided to keep the gift box for safety reasons and every 3 months or so she's shipping them back to me to reuse them.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2010-01-27 at 10:42pm.