No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-05, 9:47am
Cat herder

Default Can anyone explain this line?

I was practicing on some spacer beads the other day, and a couple of then had a line around the equator:

Most of the beads I made did not have this. I'm pretty sure these were simple single-wrap disc beads that I melted into the shape you see. I think I had a neutral flame. I could understand if I had two wraps side-by-side and trapped some reduction or soot in between, but that's not the case here.

Any ideas?

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-04-05, 9:55am
Does it come in purple?

Some colours seem to do this. On a used rod, if you notice the glass goes transparent on the point then it has a tendency to do this. It's a nice effect, I like it

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2011-04-05, 12:18pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

You can control it some by heating the bead from the sides as opposed to just in the center. That will help the "bleed line" from being so pronounced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-04-05, 4:19pm
Cat herder

The colors were "green petroleum pastel" and "green pea pastel." Neither of the rods show transparent at the end, but I tend to overheat things. I just thought it was weird that the lines showed up dead-center. Some other colors have lines where the wraps overlapped, which I can understand.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-04-05, 4:31pm

Pea green does that every time for me. It's one of the things I like about it!

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-04-05, 4:47pm
Glass-aholic

Petroleum green will do that! I think it is one of the reasons it is nick names Mosaic Green.... I love it! Turn your heat down a little, and this will be less of a problem. OR swirl your glass together a bit in a lower flame. (try not to break your bead release) I must work cool.. cuz this usually never happens to me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-04-07, 7:28am
Oinky Oink!

This color is very reactive for me too.
CIM has a color they compare to pea green but with less reaction.
Elphaba
But I don't think the colors are the same. Elphaba is not as bright as pea green.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-07, 8:23am
one day at a time

Supposedly Loren Stump has a way to prevent the line in those colors when working with them, but I don't know what that is. Would have to take the class to find out, I guess.
Old 2011-04-07, 1:46pm
geekitude on two wheels

If you kind of scrub the surface with a rod a bit it'll take out that line - just heat it so it's quite hot on the outside but still cold in the middle, and then kind of lightly stir up just the surface.
Old 2011-04-07, 5:09pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Its done this for me on and off. I can never reproduce it when I want it. I do like it though. It adds character.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-04-07, 6:29pm
Mary Lockwood

Actually though, mosaic green and petroleum green are not the same thing. I don't even know if you can still get mosaic green, but it was awesome. I still have a half rod of it that I pull into hair thin stringer to get the bleeding/webbing effect it gives. I especially like it over the pale ambers with some silver foil or leaf.

As far as the line of color down the center of your beads, that is a common effect of the opaque glasses--green is most pronounced but the violets and blues do it easily too. If you use the rod to go back and forth over that line while it is molten you can scrub that line out a little bit. Personally, I like how it looks.

~~Mary