Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-20, 6:24pm

Default HELP!! I am having a hard time mixing color.

I am having a hard time when I am mixing color with clear or when I am mixing 2 colors. The colors are not as bad as when I am mixing color.

When I start swirling and smashing I get to much clear in it. when I push the 2 rods together it just keeps pulling more clear. I try to keep the heat away from the clear but it does not seam to matter.

Why am I having such a hard time with this it is not rocket science.

I would appreciate any tips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-20, 7:12pm
senior citizen lampworker

the way i mix colors and clear is to run a bead of one color onto the other color. like you are putting down a welding bead. swirl those two together for a while then turn one of your rods 90 degrees from each other, and keep swrilling while they are at right angles to each other. swrilling them on differant axis from each other helps mix the glass. straighten it out and repeat as needed. as it mixes you can add colors to get the effect you are looking for.

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2011-10-20, 7:39pm
Borovangelist

Just a word of advice, if you finally get frustrated and go for the drill? Be careful, it's really easy to lose your grip, leaving you with a whirling hot glass propeller of death.

|
|
Old 2011-10-20, 7:49pm
Wonder-wench

oh no, the mental image of "whirling hot propeller of death" may give me nightmares and permanently deter me from reaching for the drill

thanks for the safety tip!

Old 2011-10-20, 7:53pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Just a word of advice, if you finally get frustrated and go for the drill? Be careful, it's really easy to lose your grip, leaving you with a whirling hot glass propeller of death.
Repped if I could.
Old 2011-10-21, 7:03am
Pyromaniac

Hell I facebooked that isht

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-10-21, 7:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I am suddenly feeling strangely inspired
Old 2011-10-21, 7:15am
Borovangelist

LOL

|
|
Old 2011-10-21, 3:23pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

"Whirling Propellor of Death" What a challenge... whohooooo!
Old 2011-10-21, 3:37pm

since the clear tends to be softer, you could just add the amount of clear you want to the colored rod and then use a thick ss punty as one end for mixing.
Old 2011-10-22, 1:51am

OMG Tom!! This cracked me up

Lynda, I will try the SS punty it might help. The last time I tried that with boro the punty would not stick at all so I figured that it did not work with Boro. Maybe I did not get the mandrel hot enough.

Thanks so much keep the tips coming

Old 2011-10-22, 2:54am
Alaska Boro

Have used a 1/4 inch SS punty. Heat the end red hot and get the glass very hot for boro. It will just weld itself to the SS.

A 9 mm boro clear with a few stripes of color will work. Put the SS punty in a drill. A Dewalt battery drill set for the slow mode (driving screws - setting 1) and keeping the RMP low does the trick. Push the glass back and forth and it will mix.

My overall impressions it that it is a lot of work (heavy drill) and difficult to obtain exact colors. And the mixture is not homogeneous. Perhaps close, but will require more mixing.

It is a fun experiment....
Old 2011-10-22, 12:24pm
Borovangelist

I use a cheap corded drill from harbor freight. It was fairly lighter weight because of the lack of a battery pack, it it's still not for the faint of heart.

|
|
Old 2011-10-23, 3:34pm

I am just trying to mix some color with the clear, The drill just scares me.
But I might have to try it if I keep having a problem.
Do you think that a dremel would work?

Old 2011-10-23, 3:44pm

Definetly (sp)? not. Too high rpm.
Old 2011-10-24, 10:17am
Borovangelist

yeah, that wouldn't go well

|
|
Old 2011-10-24, 12:57pm
Alaska Boro

Agree, Dremel is a big NO. One needs low speed and high torque.
Old 2011-10-24, 5:14pm

Also, most boro color does not blend well and play nicely with each other the way softglass does. I have tried to blend colors for boro murrine they way I did for softglass murrine and have been very disappointed.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-11-01, 6:09pm
Fire and Fluidity

I use a drill for mixing to avoid carpal tunnel problems. Much easier on my wrists. I use a Makita that has a short head, one of those types that you can get between joists to drill holes, the leverage seems to be better than the standard gun shape.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.