Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-23, 7:01am
And silence is golden

And it's perfect for frogs to sit upon!
Old 2011-05-24, 6:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Shrimp, I just got one of the large faceted Focal Presses. Do you have any advice on using it?

And here is Copper Black pulled into thin Stringers and used to doodle with on top of a Goldstone wrapped Egg. The core is clear. The Copper Black has a stretchy quality to it and it holds it's shape in the flame nicely.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-05-24 at 7:25am.
Old 2011-05-24, 7:24pm
And silence is golden

Verrrrry nice Kristine!
Old 2011-05-24, 8:14pm

Nice Kristina! Every time I go to buy a press, its sold out lol. Oh well, I will keep trying, I am sure eventually I will catch the ones I want. Haven't torched in two weeks, I am off until next thursday so I am hoping to get some serious torch time. I did get most of the *other* stuff done, so I should be able to devote a fair amount of time each day to bead making. I am so excited lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-24, 9:03pm

Kristina..looks like yoe have the potential for a beautiful set of a very different style of beads..maybe goldstone spacers or actual shiny copper beads with them..maybe black..lol..or all 3 mixed in.I love the egg press you are showing(nope..don't have one..yet) lol but maybe Sonya and I will get ours next time.Does anyone know when another order is coming in?
"

Old 2011-05-25, 5:46am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you all. That Goldstone is so hard to photograph but I love it! Let's see what you all have been doing. Sonja, you are teasing us! Post pics!
Old 2011-05-25, 5:57am

Very pretty Kristina!
Old 2011-05-25, 6:52am

I just had to replace my computer and haven't been able to torch for two weeks (serious withdrawal lol). I will be torching today though as soon as I get back from the gym.

These are made with the saffron yellow, op med blue and I think its frog green.

Old 2011-05-25, 7:49am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Very nice set Sonja, and I bet there are several of us who would wrestle you for the Frog Green! I sure hope it comes in on the next shipment.
Old 2011-05-25, 2:52pm

lol yes, I have a couple rods left. I am hoping that the frog green, the dark brown and the medium brown come next time. I love those colors.

I am halfway through a set of blues and purples right now, I am heading back to the torch in a couple of minutes.

Has anyone tried the blood red yet? Its a fantastic red, really solid and easy to melt and a true, rich red.

Old 2011-05-25, 7:29pm
StudioMarcy

haven't tried that red, but post a photo when you can, please. Love the set too!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-26, 12:53pm
And silence is golden

Sonja, Nice color combo. I have a small amount of the frog green. Love that color! Haven't tried the blood red. Was it a bright red, or sort of dark red?
Old 2011-05-26, 4:07pm

There is a some seriously gorgeous stuff you clever people are making with the devardi. The colours in that set Sonja are just lovely, almost retro! Christine, your stuff is just insanely cool - I stick my head in here once in a while and still keep thinking about that Koi fish one.... fabulous!

Devard has some really lovely colours that are just not available anywhere else, so I must admit that I go back for more too!

Oh, I have been making some rose murrini cane and wanted a really nice Salmon pink colour inspired by a pic I took of a rose beside my driveway the other day

Inspiration pic

Murrini applied on white bead

Please excuse the scuzzy clear, it was quickly applied and done dirty so I could see how the rose would look applied and did not take care with the clear rod... which was dirty and scuzzy

This was done with the Devardi Salmon and used the trans cranberry inbetween the petals (and clear too) and it came out a rather nice colour.

I must admit it was a bit of a challenge making a murrini using this glass without the prewarmer, the salmon rods were a bit thick and using my minor I nearly lost patience a couple of times, but it was worth persisting for the lovely colour (the trans cranberry was not one bit shocky, but the salmon was a little bit .... er.... crack-a-licious).

Oh, the cane came out really lovely and stable, easy to cut, easy to reheat and apply. I do anneal all my murrini (even the small diameter stuff) before cutting up, so no problems there!

Nat

Last edited by Natsprat; 2011-05-26 at 4:08pm. Reason: forgot something
Old 2011-05-26, 5:34pm
Living Life Creatively

WOW! What a gorgeous murrini rose, Nat! Thanks for sharing! *Ü*
-
-
-

Last edited by LoriB; 2011-05-26 at 7:38pm.
Old 2011-05-26, 6:23pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsprat View Post

Murrini applied on white bead

This was done with the Devardi Salmon and used the trans cranberry inbetween the petals (and clear too) and it came out a rather nice colour.
Nat
Nat, thank you for the compliment on the Koi, and your Murrini is drop-dead gorgeous! Just WOW - you make me want to try to make it too. I can't believe how beautifully you designed and executed it.

If you offer Devardi Murrini for sale please let us all know!
Old 2011-05-26, 6:44pm

Thanks heaps ladies!

I make murrini for Affordable Inspiration here in Australia, but don't sell direct (because I am a businesswomans bum).

I don't think anyone could deny that Devardi have some unique and beautiful colours.... I might have to go and make some other colour roses in the Devardi glass now! time to raid the stash!

Nat

Old 2011-05-26, 7:36pm
And silence is golden

Nat, that is so amazingly close to the actual color of the rose. Just beautiful!
Old 2011-05-26, 7:58pm

Thanks shrimp, when I saw the pic of the real rose the only colour that came to mind was really the devardi salmon...... yum!

Nat

Old 2011-05-27, 3:07am

Nat..that murrini is fabulous.I too love the Devardi salmon but for some reason it does not love me.I have a Mini also but i can't get within a foot of the glass to the flame and it just explodes.Its one of the very few colors that do that to me and i even use the rod heater.Will have to try somemore..but you have done magic with yours!
"

Old 2011-05-27, 5:17am

Nat that murrini is fab!! Love the salmon color! I have not played with it in a while.
Old 2011-05-27, 6:31am

Gorgeous murrini!

As long as I pre warm the salmon it does well for me. I love it with the cranberry, I am going to have to try encasing the salmon with a thin layer of cranberry and see what happens.

Old 2011-05-27, 7:16am
And silence is golden

I too, am 'salmon challenged'. I finally resorted to one of my favorite tricks that I used with Opal Yellow. Just heat up a rod of clear and start picking up the salmon 'frit', and continue to melt up a nice glob of salmon. I'm just curious as to how Nat managed to make murrini with it!

I would have never thought that it was salmon in that rose. On my monitor, both the rose and the murrini look like an apricot rose that our neighbor used to bring to my mother when she was ill.
Old 2011-05-27, 7:36am
FatherNDaughter Creations

Talking Its A Work In Progress

Hello Everyone.. Its been several weeks since I was welcomed and everyone was so helpful with my questions. My daughter was struggling a bit learning how to work the glass (she just turned 15 yesterday) So I decided instead of letting her just do whatever, I would have her start with making beads. From what I seem to find that is where everyone starts at for the most part, lol.
Keeping in mind that i myslef have been learning all this lampworking stuff as well. It helped her in so many ways, she learnt how to evenly melt the glass, to control the flow of the glass and the shape based on these factors. I then worked with her on how to mix colors to get different effects, you get the idea. We both have reallly enjoyed it so much, we find ourselves sitting at the dinner table talking about what to make next instead of the drama of the seperation. Today was her last day at school for this year and so many of her teachers have been totally helpful as she has had a rough time with the seperation and issues with her mother that got her running off track but with the support and help of many of her teachers working with me and Steph we got her back on track and things are looking great.. She wanted to do something special for these teachers so we formulated a plan and for the last 2 weeks that I have had her with me we have spent every spare minute in the shop working on these items... She gave them to her teachers yesterday with a little note.. I received so many emails from them expressing their joy and amaizment that she has actually hand made most of this stuff (with my help of course) But for the most part she made all the beads herself, the custom shaped stuff and the jewelry work I did. Its really nice to see how a hobby such as this can brighten up so many peoples lives...
Most all of this was made with Divardi Glass, except for the snowman earrings as the white was another vendor since they are still out of white...
I did purchase a rod warmer (well bought one and modified it a bit) and that pretty much corrected the shockyness for the most part..
Thanks To Divardi for the great Customer Support..... And the deals on the glass... Thanks to everyone here that lended the advice and support.... Its been a true pleasure...
Here are some of the pics as requested...
Attached Images

Last edited by Newdodge4me; 2011-05-27 at 8:01am.
Old 2011-05-27, 7:40am
FatherNDaughter Creations

Default A few more

Here are more pics since they all wouldnt fit on last post...

Attached Images

Old 2011-05-27, 9:05am

Those are beautiful! Such a sweet idea!
Old 2011-05-27, 5:11pm
And silence is golden

Newdodge, it looks like your daughter is doing pretty good! Beautiful pieces!
Old 2011-05-28, 4:08am
Hot Glass Neophyte

NewDodge, how gorgeous! Your work and assembled jewelry is just beautiful!

And it's so awesome of you to share your story and joy with us! You seem to be a wonderful man and a great father! Keep us posted - we love to share.
Old 2011-05-28, 1:11pm

Hi NewDodge,what beautiful gifts..lol..I was making over 300 truffles for my grandkids to give to their teachers last Christmas..and teachers love handmade gifts.However..Stephanie's and yours are fabulous!Its been great to hear how this new "hobby" has brought you so much closer.I think this is going to be more of a hobby though..you guys are too good.I'd like to be a customer and buy a heart necklace just like the one in the set in the pic.All I really need is the heart..and I can do the rest but I am serious I rarely wear earrings as they seem to annoy my ears lol..Find what you think is a reasonable price..add the postage and PM me is she is interested in actually selling.She could start a supply fund.I have sent supplies to young people in the past and I would love to send a surprise goody bag to her and you.I'd love to have a heart and to be able to say"I knew her when she and her Dad were just getting started" You 2 have truly made wonderful jewelry!
"

Old 2011-05-29, 6:11am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone, I have 2 more encasing tests and a few solids. I figure I may as well make flower balls out of them! The bottom right one was made a while ago so I continued the pattern of decorating.

The encased ones are
D-97 SOP Orange over SOP White
Transparent Med. Violet over SOP White
and the far right one done a while ago is
D-23 Transp. Marine Blue over SOP White

The SOP Lt. Plum Pink and the D-108 SOP Lemon Yellow are solid

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-05-29 at 6:19am.
Old 2011-05-30, 9:56pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Shrimp, I just got one of the large faceted Focal Presses. Do you have any advice on using it?
I'm sorry Kristina, I totally missed your question here. The only advice that I can give, is to make sure that you have ample glass before you press. You can always tweeze off the excess. Once I get the proper amount, I super heat the bead back up and then do a 90 degree turn of the mandrel so that the sides of the bead are now nestled into both wells of the press. Now press again, and your bead should come looking pretty good. It takes some practice for sure!

Tags
devardi