No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-07, 5:07am
sunscreen me baby

I skimmed through the past few pages or so but haven't seen if anyone ever figured out how to get the copper black to work. I saw Audrey got the rod to do it, but did she get a bead coppery? Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-07, 5:37am

SuzyQ I am not sure if anyone did or not.

Kristina, I have not glued them together yet but will eventually. I keep telling myself I am going to do it but haven't lol. Probably when I cut the rest of the pieces, I will re organize and get it just right then glue the lot together.

Old 2011-05-07, 6:24am

Suzy Q..I was able to yesterday and posted a pic..which does not do justice to the real color I got.I'm not great at pics yet.Anyway..its on the previous page.I collared the holes and flashed and twirled the poorly shaped barrel about a half inch over the HH tip and had to do it for maybe 20 sec each time..and it took me at least a dozen flashes...many more times than I expected to have to but eventually it did give me the gorgeous copper color we are supposed to get.Like I said..the pic does not do the real color justice.I now need to try it with better shaped and multi colors.Can't wait to see what I get
"

Old 2011-05-07, 6:26am

Kristina..can you post your storage system again? I know I saw the pic and rather than reading back to find it..could you post the pic again? My hubby wants to see it as my telling him about it got him excited to try to make one for my glass.Thanks!
"

Old 2011-05-07, 6:41am
sunscreen me baby

Thanks Diana.

~

Old 2011-05-07, 7:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Hothead Torch Work Area & Glass Storage Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Kristina..can you post your storage system again? I know I saw the pic and rather than reading back to find it..could you post the pic again? My hubby wants to see it as my telling him about it got him excited to try to make one for my glass.Thanks!

Here are two pics of my work area, and lots of explanation! I hope this gives food for thought and ideas where needed.

This first picture shows most of the entire L-Shape set-up. You can see that things are pretty much in arms length reach. Normally I have Clamp Lamps all across the overhanging lip to provide good lighting. I removed most of them for this picture. As you can see, I use a Creation Station (with arm and elbow rests) and a Hothead Torch using bulk propane. The torch head is hard mounted to my Desktop with a screwed on bracket, and I have the large Floor Paver Tiles on the desk and around it for fire proofing. The gray background is poster board, because I shoot a lot of pictures to make Tutorials. I have a large sheet of glass covering the top of my workdesk to protect this poster board. When it's not there you just see the tan paver tiles.

On top of the desk is a framed-in roof of sorts (that has been covered with thin metal) to support the ventilation system that goes out of the right wall. The Exhaust Fan is in that box on the wall (with the wood Bird Houses sitting on it). There is a small window behind me on the back wall with a screen insert and a little door that I can open - so that the Exhaust Fan can draw air straight toward me from behind. The propane hose goes through the wall on the right, outside to my tank. Under the table you can see my water pot for reject work.

I have the Glass Hive Annealing Kiln and a tin-box of the Japanese Annealing Bubbles on top of it for cooling test beads. I keep my Graphite Bead Rollers under the Kiln for protection. My Rod Warmer is on the right, with the upside down Nut Can to rest long rod ends on. I have a white piece of kiln/fiber board on the right side of the Rod Warmer (between it and the cord) as extra heat protection for the cord since the Rod Warmer is near that tile wall.

I keep my dipped mandrels in a can of rice beside the Kiln, and the heat from Kiln as it draws up into the vent helps dry them. The stringers I use the most are on the right side, in front of the Rod Warmer in tall Shot Glasses or Juice Glasses. I have the 2" diameter slant-cut PVC tubes across the top of the ventilation roof, and Paver Tiles are across the top of them to weight them down and be another place to set things. Screwed in shelf L-brackets are on the left and right sides of those PVC tubes so that they don't shift.

I use quart and pint sized canning jars to hold rods as needed, and I write on the jars in felt pen, because it can be wiped off later.

I got this metal upright Shelf Unit on sale, and it works well to brace in the rows of PVC pipe and hold up under the weight of glass and brass. I set the Fiber-board Shelves from Lowes across the shelves to cover the wire framework of the Shelf Unit. I keep stringers in the cardboard box of PVC tubes and need to cut more to fill the box. The little white 3-drawer unit holds Murrini and Pixie Dust and Frit. I also use a Popsicle Maker to hold different colors of small stringer. Different COE glass and very tall rods go in labeled quart jars across the top shelf. You can see more stringer in the Silverware Holder (white plastic tray) on the bottom shelf, and extra jars down below on the right.

If you notice the Dichro Glasses hanging (which I don't use on a Hothead), behind them you can see a suspended mandrel with green balls across it. When I get a new Press I use lime green Polyclay to form the actual shape of the Press as a visual reference for when I am wrapping glass on the mandrel. Polyclay never dries out and doesn't change size. I also note which Bead Roller cavity is closest to that size and use it to check before pressing.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about a set-up, but I remember wishing I could find info on the way others did theirs. Hope this helps someone... please ask questions if you are curious about something.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-05-07 at 8:06am.
Old 2011-05-07, 8:17am

Thanks so much,Kristina! He just looked and was impressed We have 2 of those neat metal racks at home in our basement..got them at Sams club and they may have to be sacrificed from whatever is on them now to bringing them here to my new studio...I appreciate all the info..nope..you can never have too much info..lol
YW Suzy Q..don't give up on the copper..it did take so many more flashing/rest periods than I ever thought it would but it will work..eventually and it truly is a beautiful copper.
"

Old 2011-05-08, 5:30pm

This is the transparent yellow orange. No problems with this one either. It does seem to be a striking color though. (it can look clear when you use it, you have to let it cool so the glow is gone then gently re heat for the color to come out).

Old 2011-05-08, 10:04pm

Kristina..I also did the same with the polyclay in the first brass molds I bought.Its a great way to tell how mush glass you need.brilliant minds and all that..lol.
Ok..anyone else who has gotten the copper from the metallic copper black...did it go back to black after annealing? I normally plop my hot beads right into the kiln and don't batch anneal but i was so excited to get a pic of my copper barrel that I decided to batch anneal that one with some others I was making.When I took it out the copper was gone.If I missed this info somewhere..can somewone remind me of what was said about batch annealing the copper?Thanks
"

Old 2011-05-09, 3:57am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina..I also did the same with the polyclay in the first brass molds I bought.Its a great way to tell how mush glass you need.brilliant minds and all that..lol.
Ok..anyone else who has gotten the copper from the metallic copper black...did it go back to black after annealing? I normally plop my hot beads right into the kiln and don't batch anneal but i was so excited to get a pic of my copper barrel that I decided to batch anneal that one with some others I was making.When I took it out the copper was gone.If I missed this info somewhere..can somewone remind me of what was said about batch annealing the copper?Thanks

I'm so glad the Studio info was a help. On the Copper Black, have you emailed Natasha? I sure would like to know too. I use the Copper Black for a softer black, but would love to make it turn.

Sonja - thank you for that news on the Orange. Do you have an ID Number on it? Such nice work girl!
Old 2011-05-09, 4:05am
StudioMarcy

Loved the studio info and picks Kristina. Wow, it's gorgeous! and Sonja, thanks for the photo too. It's always so much nicer seeing a color after its been used.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-09, 5:49am

Kristina..I emailed Natasha just now with my question and am sure to hear back today..she is so good at responding quickly.Will share my info.
Sonja..beautiful beads and colors!
"

Old 2011-05-09, 11:05am
And silence is golden

Kristina suggested that I bring my Devardi beads over here into this thread. BTW, those are some awesome fish you got there! All beads are done in Devardi glass using Devardi tong presses. I love these presses!

Transparent Dark Rose

Semi-opaque Midnight Misty (pre-annealing)

Opaque Turquoise and Transparent Dark Rose

Semi-opaque Light Lime Green and Transparent Light Amethyst
Old 2011-05-09, 11:11am

I love those!
Old 2011-05-09, 11:26am
And silence is golden

Thank you Bethany!
Old 2011-05-09, 12:53pm

Shrimp..beautiful! I was just on the site and missed that midnight misty..gotta go back and look.Does it go opaque after annealing? And if so..what does the color look like? it has an opally glow to it in the pic...really pretty and neat you got the three shapes from the one press..I saw them on the other site too
"

Old 2011-05-09, 12:54pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

SHRIMP - just beautiful to see and thank you so much for posting so we all can enjoy them!
Old 2011-05-09, 1:02pm

I wrote Natasha about my earlier problem about after batch annealing my beautiful metallic copper black bead changing back to black when I took it out of the kiln.
She is the best..have not co-responded with her since last year and she immediately offered advice and here it is:
Hi Diana, so very nice to hear from you. I have missed you too. I know you
had difficulties with your hands, but I didn't know you were having surgery.
That can be very frustrating and painful, I'm sure. I do hope you are on
your way to a full recovery. You have had to endure quite a bit with this.
It is so good to see you back at the torch. I wish you the best.

As you probably know, the Coppery Black is a fussy one. I guess anything
beautiful is never easy. Anyway, I have found it is best to anneal the
Coppery Black directly from the torch, rather than batch anneal from cold.
If you can do that, you should have better luck. Another thing that can
affect the copper sheen is the oxygen content in the kiln, believe it or
not. I have had the best luck annealing the Coppery Black with our mini
annealer since it remains open at all times, allowing air in. I know you
don't have one of these, but experimenting with the opening on your kiln may
help.

One more thing I have found. The Coppery Black has a base glass of the Op.
Hi Density Black. It is a very dense glass. I have found that the beads do
very well without annealing. I rarely lose any of them to cracking, and I
have a lot that I never annealed, something also to consider if you continue
to have problems.
What a nice distributor and all around kind person she is...
"

Old 2011-05-09, 1:05pm

Default more about copper black from Natasha at Devardi

I wrote Natasha about my earlier problem about after batch annealing my beautiful metallic copper black bead changing back to black when I took it out of the kiln.
She is the best..have not co-responded with her since last year and she immediately offered advice and here it is:
Hi Diana, so very nice to hear from you. I have missed you too. I know you
had difficulties with your hands, but I didn't know you were having surgery.
That can be very frustrating and painful, I'm sure. I do hope you are on
your way to a full recovery. You have had to endure quite a bit with this.
It is so good to see you back at the torch. I wish you the best.

As you probably know, the Coppery Black is a fussy one. I guess anything
beautiful is never easy. Anyway, I have found it is best to anneal the
Coppery Black directly from the torch, rather than batch anneal from cold.
If you can do that, you should have better luck. Another thing that can
affect the copper sheen is the oxygen content in the kiln, believe it or
not. I have had the best luck annealing the Coppery Black with our mini
annealer since it remains open at all times, allowing air in. I know you
don't have one of these, but experimenting with the opening on your kiln may
help.

One more thing I have found. The Coppery Black has a base glass of the Op.
Hi Density Black. It is a very dense glass. I have found that the beads do
very well without annealing. I rarely lose any of them to cracking, and I
have a lot that I never annealed, something also to consider if you continue
to have problems.
What a nice distributor and all around kind person she is...
"

Old 2011-05-09, 2:10pm

Oh..and Natasha knows I only make my beads for myself so she knows I have no fears about not annealing my copper beads if i can't get this to work.It is a very tough glass! I have banged around the rods moving them here and there and I have never had one break or shatter when torching and I don't preheat the black..only a few of the other colors.I don't mind wafting a little more even tho I do have the preheater for the few that need that preheating.Its all a learning curve as with every other glass brand..as we all know and are used to.
Will let you know how it works out
"

Old 2011-05-09, 3:52pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Diana! Be sure to post what you create - can't wait!
Old 2011-05-09, 6:37pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Shrimp..beautiful! I was just on the site and missed that midnight misty..gotta go back and look.Does it go opaque after annealing? And if so..what does the color look like? it has an opally glow to it in the pic...really pretty and neat you got the three shapes from the one press..I saw them on the other site too
Hi Diana, Thank you for the complimant! Midnight Misty does change from the beautiful translucent quality that you see in the image, to what I would call a SEMI-OPAQUE tan color with camel colored striations throughout. Gorgeous color! Natasha is currently out, and hopes to see some in the next shipment.
Old 2011-05-09, 6:43pm
StudioMarcy

Shrimp, loved seeing your work!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-05-09, 8:27pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I love the transparent dark rose bead, Shrimp. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-05-09, 8:38pm
And silence is golden

Marcy, I am such a fan of your work. I am honored with a compliment from you!

Angelique, I am honored as well, by your compliment. That Dark Rose is such a yummy color. All of the roses that Devardi produces are gorgeous. I was just looking at a bead that I had made using Champagne Rose. It is the perfect transparent peach color.
Old 2011-05-09, 9:50pm

I will,Kristina! Wanted to torch today but had a lot of distractions..I get more company in the country than at home in the city..lol..
Sorry about the duplicate posting all...it didn't seem to work the first time.
Aww,Shrimp..that color sounds wonderful..when is the next shipment due..does anyone know? I love that mold too!
"

Old 2011-05-10, 1:59am
Danan Beads and Jewelry

Shrimp, Those beads are just beautiful. I haven't worked with the bead presses yet. I'll have to try one next time I order. My husband just built a glass storage cabinet, but apparently the picture is too large to upload, so I'll have to play around with the settings and see what I can do. Same story with a necklace and earring set I made for my singing partner for Mother's Day........
Old 2011-05-10, 6:38am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Shrimp..beautiful! I was just on the site and missed that midnight misty..gotta go back and look.Does it go opaque after annealing? And if so..what does the color look like?
Diana, here is a comparison of the before and after annealing of the Midnight Misty. I would describe this color as a slightly marbled ivory. So if one has issues with the normal Devardi ivories, (as I do), this would be a great substitute. If you are looking for the results of the 'before annealing', then my suggestion would be to keep the finished product for yourself....and I do have plans for my own creation.

Before

And after
Old 2011-05-10, 6:49am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
Shrimp, Those beads are just beautiful. I haven't worked with the bead presses yet. I'll have to try one next time I order.
Thank you Nan, These presses are actually fun to use. I prefer them over the two-piece, heavy weighted ones that are confined to the table top. I don't use the dowel rod at all. I think that you will like it too.
Old 2011-05-10, 7:13am

Shrimp-I think pre and post annealing they are great! I wonder how a SIS would do on it. I bet it has a great reaction!

Tags
devardi