No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-19, 3:44pm
Heal with Steel

Default What is this silver blue glass?

I just love these beads, does anyone know what glass this is? I have seen this on ebay and I really want some of this glass......

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Women-on-Fire-...QQcmdZViewItem
I have worked with a lot of silvered glass, but never have achieved this reaction, almost pure silver, isn't it gorgeous?!?!?

Last edited by Baubles by eli; 2008-10-22 at 2:22pm.
Old 2008-10-19, 4:07pm
Capp'in Fool

could it be triton ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-19, 4:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

My triton gets different colors than blue - I have seen this color before but can't remember which glass it was.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-19, 4:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I remember where I saw it - there was an ebay auction with a huge number of beads like that and there were a couple of threads about them.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-19, 4:16pm
Heal with Steel

Do you think it is a soft, 104 glass? I have Triton, but my colors are a bit different then that. This glass has such even metallic silver and blues, it is so pretty to me.
Old 2008-10-19, 4:46pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Could be zimmerman silver blue. It's a 96 coe color. When I blew studio glass silver blue was one of my favorite colors. It looks like its available in cane now for lampworking.

Old 2008-10-19, 5:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I do think it is a 104 glass - I will see if I can find that auction.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-19, 5:16pm
Heal with Steel

Cool, thanks squid!
Old 2008-10-19, 5:19pm
Heal with Steel

Thanks Suzanne! Does the Zimmerman silver blue reduce to this much of a metallic finish? It does come in cane now.
Old 2008-10-19, 5:33pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I can't find it - it ended a while ago and I don't remember who the beadmaker was.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-19, 5:38pm
Heal with Steel

The beads in the pictures above are made by joan*of*art on ebay. I asked her if she uses soft (104) glass or boro and she replied 104. She has a number of beads up for auction that are so pretty.
Old 2008-10-19, 5:45pm
Dichro Addict

Call me silly, but I think it is Psyche! That is exactly what Psyche looks like when I reduce it but don't encase it. It's all silvery blue and pretty. Then it looks like crap when I take it out of the kiln!

Old 2008-10-19, 5:49pm
Heal with Steel

Why does it look like crap after it comes out of the kiln?
Old 2008-10-19, 5:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
Call me silly, but I think it is Psyche! That is exactly what Psyche looks like when I reduce it but don't encase it. It's all silvery blue and pretty. Then it looks like crap when I take it out of the kiln!
I think that's it - I couldn't remember which one it was!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-19, 5:54pm
Heal with Steel

I'll have to give it a try, I have some Psych, but now I'm nervous about taking it out of the kiln.
Old 2008-10-19, 5:55pm

I got one bead of black nebula to mirror like that...sigh...too bad the bead was wonky!
and...Taxco will do some of that too.
(likely not what those beads are...and...of course I *hope* the bead-makers permission was gotten before copying the photos over here....but...those 2 glasses do give some nice effects if you play with them right)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-19, 6:00pm
Heal with Steel

I sent her a couple of messages already regarding the beads and sent many compliments as well.
Old 2008-10-19, 6:09pm
Ad astra per aspera

The Triton odd I got from DH a few weeks ago has a definite blue undertone to it. Love it!

Old 2008-10-19, 6:10pm
yukue fumei

Abe's Ivy?

nagi

Old 2008-10-19, 6:15pm
Heal with Steel

I looked at some of my Psyche spacer beads that I have made in the past and the effects are similar, but not as silver as those. I love Triton also, gorgeous glass! Not familiar with Abe's Ivy?
Old 2008-10-19, 6:47pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baubles by eli View Post
Thanks Suzanne! Does the Zimmerman silver blue reduce to this much of a metallic finish? It does come in cane now.
I've never worked it on a torch but it reduced to silver on large vase applications....Looking at the beads again they have a bit more of an aqua look to them and the zimmerman color I remember was more of a cobaltie blue.

Last edited by FlameFilly; 2008-10-19 at 6:49pm.
Old 2008-10-19, 6:52pm

Here is the auction.
Joan*of*Art
I'm sorry . I think its inappropriate to post just the photos.

I know this lady. She is an full time flameworker andy she may have a certain way of working the glass to get those effects.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-19, 7:06pm
Heal with Steel

She seems to be a very nice lady and a wonderful artist as well. If you were to read all of the posts you would have noticed that I also mentioned her ebay name. When I posted the pics I guess I was so intrigued by the glass, I certainly was not trying to be inappropriate.
Old 2008-10-19, 7:11pm

I did read your posts. But you copied her photographs with out her permission. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-19, 7:14pm
Heal with Steel

Sorry, I post in here so rarely. I wish I had more time to do so. Like I said I was intrigued by the glass and her wonderful artistry, no harm intended.
Old 2008-10-19, 7:17pm

Maybe when she sees the thread she can tell what glass it is.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-19, 7:20pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Why does it look like crap after it comes out of the kiln?
Unless I encase it, it loses most of the reduction in the kiln. I tried putting some activated carbon in there and lowering the temp, and it helped, but I got really uneven color. There's a thread about adding charcoal to the kiln to help keep reduction. I might try it again with actual charcoal. All I know is I ruined a really great set of beads because I had surface decoration and spacers in reduced Psych and it did not stay that way.

Old 2008-10-19, 7:23pm
Heal with Steel

Thanks for the tips Lenora, greatly appreciated!
Old 2008-10-19, 8:06pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Not familiar with Abe's Ivy?
Abe's Ivy is a Precision color(?)

I bought it from Flamekissed glass--and if you scroll down, she has a pic of a spacer made with this glass....
http://www.flamekissedglass.com/cata...=2&category=43

a test bead made with this glass....mine is a bit more matte than Irene's spacer..

nagi

Old 2008-10-20, 6:44am

eli--it's not "if you intended harm"--it's more of a "if you are following copyright laws" issue.
The laws of copyright say you cannot just post other peoples pictures other places than where they put them without their express permission. To do so exposes you, and the place you put them (in this case, Lampwork Etc. & CorriDawn, the forum owner) to legal action. Some folks are just more blunt than others ( @ Paula) in how they try to point this out to you. It's not a personal attack, it's simply in trying to educate you (and anyone else who is reading the forum & thinking of cross posting "borrowed" photos or written information) AND to protect both the forum, the forum owner AND the poster!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies