No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-09, 3:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default What Glass is this - any idea?

I don't remember buying this and I don't know even what Coe it is, but it's a transparent brown in the rod and the beads are greenish brownish. The label says BG. Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give me. Liz
Attached Images

Old 2008-11-09, 3:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Do you know what COE it is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-09, 3:29pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Could it be Kugler Brown Gold or Gold Brown...if it is lucky you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-09, 3:47pm
In search of her path....

It could also be a B6 and maybe its a sample color from one of the places that make silver glasses? did you try reducing etc?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-11-09, 3:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

it does look a little like one of the strikign color glasses and B6 i think is one of them. I would try striking the end of it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-09, 6:50pm

That was my first thought too--is it a "striking glass color" silver glass? I think he did have a "B6"!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-09, 7:10pm
I'm a lilac!

It looks like a 96 to me... I would guess Kugler Brown Gold, actually. If it is it will reduce to a really lovely brilliant metallic luster!

Here's a link to the stringer at Frantz: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=2190

Old 2008-11-09, 9:04pm
T.J. made me do it

I checked my Striking Color and I do have some rods that color with same core but it is not marked. I did noticed the "B's" were in similar handwriting to other Striking Color that I have.

Julie
Old 2008-11-09, 9:15pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks. I will try striking it and reducing it. For the life of me, I don't know where I got that glass. I guess I can test it with my 96 and 104 and see which it is (which bead doesn't crack).

Old 2008-11-09, 9:17pm
I'm a lilac!

If it is the Kugler, it will likely work fine with 104 as well.

Old 2008-11-09, 9:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If it reduces, Kalera's guess is probably right - if it strikes, it is probably a striking glass color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-13, 6:47pm
Lizard rescue squad

Although the rods do look similar to some of my StrikingColor glass, I doubt that is what it is. The "A" series went through number 6 and beyond, but the "B" series never had a B6, nor a BG. Also, while some of the StrikingColor glasses will show green, they seldom if ever do it while looking like yours. Typically they will already be striking to other colors, as well starting to go partially or wholly opaque.

So while the jury may still be out on what you have, I think I can say with reasonable certainty that it isn't a StrikingColor glass.

Brad

Old 2008-11-13, 9:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

Well, you are so right. The glass didn't strike and it didn't reduce either, so I guess it is what it is, just brownish greenish glass. Hey, maybe BG is brown-green - lol! It's not a bad color, I pressed some nice crystals with it, it has a nice organic gloss. OK, so I am the one who likes the weird colors, lime and strawberry sweet, honey crunch, avocado marble, light and dark lichen, wasabi ocher yellow, green tapenade, etc. I think I will try pulling some stringer and using it over dark ivory or something like that, or maybe try it as a base for some silver glass. You never know, it could be killer.

Liz
Old 2008-11-13, 9:36pm

Maybe "BG" stands for "Bottle Glass"

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-14, 8:53am
Scientific Glass Girl

mmm that looks like a beautiful brown!