Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-01-29, 1:43pm
Dangerous Woman

Default micro marbles/beads tut?

Does anyone know of a tutorial - either free or for sale - that explains how to make the teeny tiny micro beads or marbles?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-01-29, 5:52pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I would be interested in this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-29, 11:47pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Nancy and Tracy~~~

I make micro marbles - they range in size from 3mm to about 8mm on average...I've thought about making a tutorial on how it's done - maybe it's a good time to revisit it!

Here's some snaps of work I've done - just a small sampling:

Some tiny Galexy Marbles - group shot and a close-up:

A Micro "Skull" Marble (8mm) with my hand-made murrini:

Some Micro "Bumble Bee" Marbles sitting on a dime:

And some "Fish" Murrini Marbles (murrini by Heather Ferman, Ryan Turner and Mavis Smith):

And a view showing the "Clown Fish" Micro Marble inside a hollow:

Is this kind of what you're inquiring about? Or are you looking for smaller?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-01-30, 4:26am
Knob Creek Glass

That would be great. The one I tried turned out well, clear with yellow, however it jumped out of my kiln twice, and on the third try commited suicide on the floor. Next time, I will use a softer bed for it in my kiln!
Old 2009-01-30, 7:01am

Alright there missy DeAnne you need to get your fingers to flying and your camera to cliking on this one. I was just hunting something my self these past couple of days for how to make micro marbles as I have an idea that I want to combine with the tut I bought on the swizzle sticks. Also can you put bubbles in ones that small?
Old 2009-01-30, 9:45am

These would be great to go in the swizzle sticks!

Old 2009-01-30, 10:12am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv4ever View Post
Alright there missy DeAnne you need to get your fingers to flying and your camera to cliking on this one. I was just hunting something my self these past couple of days for how to make micro marbles as I have an idea that I want to combine with the tut I bought on the swizzle sticks. Also can you put bubbles in ones that small?
Donna~~~

You're so funny!!!! I don't think bubbles would be difficult to add as an "inclusion" in these whatsoever; as a matter of fact, once you get the concept of how these come together, I think the sky would be the limit as far as what you could put inside...whether it be murrini, cz, bubbles, galaxy, vortex, etc. Of course, given the tiny size, there would be somethings that might be WAY TOO CHALLENGING, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying anything!

OK - Now I'm SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT DOING IT!!!

It would take me at least a couple weeks to put together, but before I even get started, I'm hoping you all will give me the benefit of YOUR knowledge and familiarity (since I'm still just a few years "new" to this medium) to give me some suggestions and guidance. I have some important questions that will definitely impact whether or not I'll move forward with a tut (I'm so hoping you guys wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on the front side) as I wouldn't want to spend the time and effort to put myself out there and either be disappointed or disappoint my tut buyers:

1. I'd love to get a sense of how many would truly be interested in buy this tut...please post if you think it would be something you'd buy and use!

2. I would figure that I'd charge around $15.00 for the tutorial - keep in mind there are TWO vital tools to make these - one of which I'm confident almost everyone who does lampwork will already have in their arsenal - the other some folks may already have but if not, it would cost approx. $25.00 to purchase (from a quick check on eBay where they are readily available). Given the state of the economy, this would impact interest and I'd just like to hear your thoughts on this.

3. If anyone knows of any other publication whatsoever that addresses making Micro Marbles - regardless of the format (book, tut, etc.) - please let me know!!! This is absolutely vital to me! After seeing some of the unhappy and uncomfortable circumstances surrounding other purchasable tutorials and the "rights" or other entitlements that surfaced post-publication (and I use this word with no negative intent - just couldn't think of another way to put it!) I wouldn't dream of stepping on toes if there is already information out there that would complicate my publishing a tut, hurt feelings or cause difficulties for myself or any other interested party.

4. Eyesight, given the size of these itty-bitty babies, is important. I would recommend that anyone who doesn't have amazingly excellent vision consider using either clip-on mags or at least the little sticky ones you can put atop you diddys to insure you get a nice finished product and not strain your eyes.

5. Just to let everyone know, these were done on a Hot Head torch with Moretti, so there's no important requirement there as far as torches or glass. Further, because these are SO SMALL, I cooled all marbles in a fiber blanket then annealed them the next time I fired up the kiln; those who do vermiculite or table-top cooling should have no problems making these and not having them crack, but annealing down the road is recommended for sure!

I'd love to hear from everyone on these questions...meanwhile, the wheels are a-spinning in my little brain so please let me know what you think.

De

Old 2009-01-30, 4:41pm

I wonder if Tink would be willing to write up a tutorial on how she does it, especially now that she's no longer teaching. I was lucky enough to take her class last October where we learned her method of making these amazing little thingies - here are the pictures I posted in the Gallery:

I need to retake that photo because I replaced the globe that got cracked with one that's a little more sturdy!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-01-30, 5:18pm
Back to 👊 1

That was my first thought, to contact Tink and field that area, for your best intrest. I am certain that there is a good market for ya here, 'specialy iffinz ya added that little bumble bee in as an extra!!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-01-30, 5:47pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Diane and Myrdle~~~

Thank you for your honest input! I've written the following PM to Tink - I think she does check the board when time allows and will await a posting and/or PM from her as I think it's definitely the "right" thing to do. Here's what I wrote:

Hi Tink!
Hope things are going well for you! I'm inviting you to pipe in to this thread, where I am considering writing a Tutorial for making Mini Marbles. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120400
I now know from a post in the thread that you instructed some of your students on how you make these along with teaching them how to make vessels. As I've never spoken to anyone on this particular subject who has taken the class with you nor had the privilege of taking one from you myself, I don't know how our methods compare. Nevertheless, I would appreciate your perspective on my moving forward with the "How To" tutorial - please?

Since my version differs from yours - specifically regarding inclusion of murrini slices and other "inclusions" - I'm thinking you'll have no difficulty with it. I'd just rather hear it from you on the front side than have anyone think I didn't take the time or have the consideration to contact you before proceeding.

Looking forward to hearing from you when you can reply; all my best to you!
DeAnne in CA

Myrdle~~~That's a great idea, and I'll definitely consider adding the Baby Bumble Bee in if I do indeed move forward with the Tut! The methods are very similar and it would make a good accompaniment!

Appreciate it, everyone!

De

Old 2009-01-30, 5:47pm

I am interested and would also like to know about those tiny hearts. I took Tink's class just before she started teaching the tiny marbles so I did learn the globes and cap I have made these for gifts with glitter in them.

Old 2009-01-30, 6:05pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
I wonder if Tink would be willing to write up a tutorial on how she does it, especially now that she's no longer teaching. I was lucky enough to take her class last October where we learned her method of making these amazing little thingies - here are the pictures I posted in the Gallery:

I need to retake that photo because I replaced the globe that got cracked with one that's a little more sturdy!

-Diane
Hi guys,

DeAnne sent me a message inviting me to join in this thread, so thought I'd do just that!

First, I want to mention that I *am* still teaching. I just don't have the killer schedule that I used to have. And there are still some seats left for our Ireland Beadventure this coming October.

I've been actively working on four tutorials: Vessels, an update of my electroforming booklet, Tips and Tricks and one on globes (including the tiny bits that go inside). I'm thorough and pedantic when it comes to writing, so it's been impossible to meet my personal deadlines on these projects, given my current workload.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in before I nod off here. It's been a long, long week...

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2009-01-30, 6:18pm

Hey Tink - it's so great to "see" you on here! I'd forgotten about your Ireland class, sorry about that. I hope the job and life are going well for you.

If you need a proofreader for your globe tutorial, I'd be happy to help since I took the class! You attempted to cram so much into my brain that weekend that I'm still finding I have flashbacks of "oh, yeah!" moments!

-Diane

Old 2009-01-30, 6:25pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

It's nice to see you, too, Diane!!!

I've had to seriously readjust my life lately, so some things had to just go: Spending tons of time on LE was one of those things. I get up at the buttcrack of dawn, schlepp to work in the dark and cold, work all day, then crawl home and try to spend a little time with John before falling asleep.

You keep having those "oh, yeah!" moments, ok? I love hearing that

Also Available in

Old 2009-01-30, 8:59pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Tink - it sounds like if you could get those tuts done a lot of us would be interested!

De - your tut sounds good also

Old 2009-01-30, 9:42pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Hi guys,

DeAnne sent me a message inviting me to join in this thread, so thought I'd do just that!

First, I want to mention that I *am* still teaching. I just don't have the killer schedule that I used to have. And there are still some seats left for our Ireland Beadventure this coming October.

I've been actively working on four tutorials: Vessels, an update of my electroforming booklet, Tips and Tricks and one on globes (including the tiny bits that go inside). I'm thorough and pedantic when it comes to writing, so it's been impossible to meet my personal deadlines on these projects, given my current workload.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in before I nod off here. It's been a long, long week...
Tink~~~

I'm so glad I wrote you...and I'm thrilled to hear that you will be putting out tutorials which will include the little marbles and "bits" (giggle!)...I know there will definitely be lots of anxious buyers and who better to school us on these techniques than the master!

I'm glad to hear that you are still actively teaching, too! Ireland, though home to my family for 7+ generations back, is a wee bit too far for me to travel...but it sounds just wonderful and you're going to relish the country - it's breathtaking!!!

I'm sure we're all going to start saving up for these...thanks again for all you do! Good luck with the "day" job - I'm sure they're thrilled to have you!

Warm regards from CA,
De

Old 2009-01-30, 9:52pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Tink - it sounds like if you could get those tuts done a lot of us would be interested!

De - your tut sounds good also
That's kinda why I wasn't talking about it. Last time I even hinted at a thorough vessel tut, I was flooded with emails: "When will it be done? Where will you sell it? Why isn't it done yet? Is it done yet? How much will it be?"

That was VERY encouraging, to say the least, but these days I just don't have the time to deal with all that email. (Real World jobs sure suck a lot of time out of one's life. LOL!)

And I want to say here, as well, that I got turned on to mini-marbles by Marjorie Langston. I was totally giddy.

Also Available in

Old 2009-01-30, 10:01pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Thanks, DeAnne

Yep. The company seems darn glad to have me. I get to spend my days doing a lot of different things, from writing technical documentation, to software testing and QA, to workflow design... They've been impressed by my attention to detail (i just knew my OCD would pay off someday!) and the fact that I'm such a geek with a broad technical background.

The problem is, there's just not much left of my life for ME. I'd typically be asleep by now, but I haven't seen midnight in so long that I made myself stay up I've always done my best work between 11 PM and 5 AM. I really miss those days.

Also Available in

Old 2009-01-30, 10:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
That's kinda why I wasn't talking about it. Last time I even hinted at a thorough vessel tut, I was flooded with emails: "When will it be done? Where will you sell it? Why isn't it done yet? Is it done yet? How much will it be?"

That was VERY encouraging, to say the least, but these days I just don't have the time to deal with all that email. (Real World jobs sure suck a lot of time out of one's life. LOL!)

And I want to say here, as well, that I got turned on to mini-marbles by Marjorie Langston. I was totally giddy.
Sheesh, Tink! I would think that if anyone had an inkling that you'd be making a tutorial, they'd be perfectly happy to sit tight and just be patient and thankful!!! I know I am! Of course, I'd rather have the up-close-and-personal of a class, but I'm sure you're going to make fabulous, thorough tutorials and, as we've seen with many of them that have been published by other authors, they're the next best thing to sitting down with you one-on-one!

Patience, people, patience! I just KNOW it will be worth it!

De

Old 2009-01-30, 10:15pm

I agree with DeAnne - I'm happy to be patient and won't be bugging you, but look forward to the day when you DO finish it. I still smile every time I think about that weekend class and what a fabulous time we had. You are such an inspration!

And yeah - I do have those "oh yeah!" moments frequently. And not just when I'm at the torch - you know you're obsessed when you dream about glass night and day, and I get them then too!

-Diane

Old 2009-01-30, 10:17pm

BTW, De - I'd love to see your tutorial as well. It looks like you have a different technique, and learning multiple ways of doing things is good because you may end up combining things and doing something even better another way based on what you've learned.

Never stop learning!

-Diane

Old 2009-01-30, 11:30pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
BTW, De - I'd love to see your tutorial as well. It looks like you have a different technique, and learning multiple ways of doing things is good because you may end up combining things and doing something even better another way based on what you've learned.

Never stop learning!

-Diane
Aw, thanks Diane...but I'm going to acquiesce to Tink on this - it's her genre and she should have dibbs, if you ask me! I'll look forward to seeing it...I'm sure there will be much to expound on and explore once the basics are revealed...

It's all good!

De

Old 2009-01-31, 12:33am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I don't buy many tutorials but I would DEFINITELY buy a Tink tutorial~ Vessels, micro-marbles, globes, whatever you feel like doing!

Diane, having seen that globe in person I can say it is even prettier in person. You made a really beautiful globe!

Kelly

Old 2009-01-31, 10:22am

Oh, thank you Kelly! They are fun to make, especially the little bits. Making opaque ones with twisties is fun too.

Your recent series of beads with the swirls and shards are gorgeous too! Your photos are good, but they're the kind of thing that even the best photo won't do it justice.

De - in one of your previous posts you mentioned eyesight - you're so right. I wear bifocals, which enables me to still have some closeup vision, but for torching I have my clipon diddys attached to a pair of 3.25x reading glasses! But it enables me to make the little bitty glass thingies, and to do viking knit with 30 gauge wire and chainmaille with 22 gauge rings. I guess I have an obsession with tiny things!

-Diane

Old 2009-01-31, 2:08pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Aw, thanks Diane...but I'm going to acquiesce to Tink on this - it's her genre and she should have dibbs, if you ask me! I'll look forward to seeing it...I'm sure there will be much to expound on and explore once the basics are revealed...

It's all good!

De
De~
I totaly understand your feelings on this, but I will still encourage you to maybe think about writting a Baby Bumble Bee Tut. Even if it is just a little, short and sweet one for $5.00 or $10.00, you could still get your feet wet learning and I bet make a few extra bucks. I do understand that you may just wanna hang on to it for a while until ya feel it is the right time. Yeah, TIME is another thing as well!

Take care,
Gayle

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-01-31, 5:41pm
Newfoundland lover!

I'd be interested! I'll keep a checking over time.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2009-01-31, 7:10pm
Dangerous Woman

I really want to learn to make the little hearts and little rubber ducks like Ms Tink makes!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-02-01, 11:01am
I speak Murrini!

I did these "Inner Tube Duckies", Aqua Trans. Mini Marbles and "Beach Ball" marbles about a year ago...

They're sitting on a dime to show how itty-bitty they are

I do a version of these on a Big Hole Bead, too:

De

Old 2009-02-01, 3:00pm

De - WOW - those are FANTASTIC! I love how you added them to the BHB. The duckies are especially cute - being that they have the mandrel holes, they remind me of those pool floats. My kids had several of them. The blue glass looks like water, with the pool toys floating on the surface. Great job!

-Diane