Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-18, 9:21pm

OK newbies... where are your pictures. I know someone tried Paula's pendent this weekend.
Here is my try. The "stuff" you see is PMC that didn't work. Yes, dremel work headed my way. (If someone knows what temp I need to make this work with boro please let me know) The other is something I did for a inspiration challenge on WC (kaleidescope theme)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-19, 8:22am
put a bird on it

Heres my 2nd set of beads in boro....loving the colors in this glass!
Old 2007-11-19, 8:36am

Those are gorgeous Elise! Got that concentrator working!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-19, 8:38am
put a bird on it

Thanks, Dawn! Maybe someday they will be as nice as yours!
Old 2007-11-20, 2:07pm
Does it come in Purple???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
OK newbies... where are your pictures. I know someone tried Paula's pendent this weekend.
Here is my try. The "stuff" you see is PMC that didn't work. Yes, dremel work headed my way. (If someone knows what temp I need to make this work with boro please let me know) The other is something I did for a inspiration challenge on WC (kaleidescope theme)
I never thought about using PMC like that before. Have you ever succeeded with soft glass? Sorry don't have any answers but if you make it work that would be too cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeche View Post
Heres my 2nd set of beads in boro....loving the colors in this glass!
Nice colors!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-11-20, 2:59pm
put a bird on it

Thanks, Jodie!
Old 2007-11-20, 9:44pm

I've seen PMC with soft, and someone here on LE used it with tequila sunrise I thought. I found instuctions for soft but the temp (1100) seems too low to make it bond with the boro. I may try a higher temp (1200) next time but it will affect the glass color. We'll see... it will be a few days at least until I can play.

Old 2007-11-22, 5:37pm

Hope all the newbies had a great Turkey Day.
If I can figure out how do load pictures on hubby's computer (mine is down along with all my passwords GRRR) I think I have a cool pendent or to coming out of the kiln late tonight.

Kare Tx
Old 2007-11-22, 5:52pm
Butterfly Rancher

Oh I forgot I did have a reasonably good pendant come out from Paula's tutorial. I didn't have the tools to put a hole in it so I just did the pendant without the hole and it came out looking pretty good. The weekend is busy but I'll try and remember to post early next week.

Thanks, Paula, for the great tutorial and I love your frit blends! It was really cool to roll on the frit and not try and stop myself. I kept going back for more since I wasn't worried about a COE differential -- it was super fun!

And, I did have some absolute and total implosion messes which wouldn't even qualify as fuglies... oh well... PPP

Happy pecan pie day to all!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-22, 6:06pm

These are some beads I made while I was trying to get some decent stuff for the Boro Bead Exchange. I finally gave up on round beads and went with a bunch of goddess beads.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-11-22, 6:24pm

I love those Paul! Very organic!

Old 2007-11-23, 6:05am

here are some pendents from the tut... have a great day
Attached Images

Old 2007-11-23, 7:30am
Butterfly Rancher

Trike Girl, I love your colors! Can you tell us what they are? And, it's great to see different shapes. I'm a red/pink/purple fan so I particularly love those colors. However, if I was going to pick one to wear, it'd be the blue one -- everything comes together so well -- color, shape, proportion... I like the dots that you added as well.

Old 2007-11-23, 2:07pm

Thanks
The fan/hand is NS root beer with VB Sedona Sunrise a little GA SS5frit
Green is Momka 46 base Nessie's dower and Nancy toby no 1 (just a little)
The blue I think the base is momka silver beach with open mind and nancy toby no 1. probably some SS5 frit also Dots are Royal blue

I have a bad habit of just grabbing colors but I went out to see what was on top on my torch area
The blue is my favorite also- it seems to go with everything, I wore the hand today though. Well I need to get ready to go play.

Old 2007-11-23, 11:31pm

played more today
...top is Momka Exotic Citrus Grapefruit w/ VB Kiss
right side is NS tan silver creek with VB Kiss, middle NS Sublime w/ VB Amber Mist, left is warm yellow w/ VB Kiss
Attached Images

Old 2007-11-24, 8:13am
Butterfly Rancher

Thanks for the color info! I have not yet tried Momka's but I drool everytime I see it so I guess I know what'll be on my Christmas list!

Love all those new pieces!

Old 2007-11-25, 8:33am

I really like some of the momka rods. The multies have some that are really fun and love to be beat up and lots of heat (antique beauty and silver dance for starters) They melt like butter
Green trails (wysiwyg, low heat), gypsy queen (so so heat)and bead and ring from silver dance (the more heat and abuse the more color)
Attached Images

Old 2007-11-25, 9:41am
Butterfly Rancher

I can see that I need to order some of the Silver Dance -- those are the colors I love and if it can take abuse so much the better! All the colors are beautiful and I like that so many different colors come from one rod.

I love the rings! Is there a tutorial somewhere for those?

You definitely have some lovely eye candy!

Old 2007-11-25, 7:20pm

Thanks, I haven't seen a tut. But I use the large mandrels. The key is to makesure it is well heated or your glass will come off part of the way around. They are a great use for beads that spit in half also.

Old 2007-11-25, 7:50pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
I've seen PMC with soft, and someone here on LE used it with tequila sunrise I thought. I found instuctions for soft but the temp (1100) seems too low to make it bond with the boro. I may try a higher temp (1200) next time but it will affect the glass color. We'll see... it will be a few days at least until I can play.

PMC doesn't bond with the glass. If you want it to stay on, you have to construct the PMC so that it cages the glass, or somehow grabs something -- there has to be some sort of a mechanical connection.

There's a form of Art Clay Silver called Overlay Paste that is supposed to stick to glass and stay on by itself. Obviously they're keeping their mouths shut tight about how it does it, and I haven't heard that anyone has worked it out, or has figured out a way to make PMC do the same thing. The Art Clay Silver Overlay Paste is made to fire at 1200 degrees (650 degrees C), which they say minimizes the possibility of yellowing. (So you may not get too much yellowing at 1200 if you do a second try with the PMC.) I've never tried the Overlay Paste, so I don't know if it really sticks to the glass or not.

Kare, what were you trying to do with the PMC? Maybe we can figure out a way to make it work.
Old 2007-11-25, 10:03pm

I have some large rings I did. They look good as a simple pendent. I thought lining the inside wilth PMC woul look great. I had made a past. I also played putting some on the outside. It stayed better on the outside curve than the inside.

Old 2007-11-26, 10:30pm

Cool tool. How can I get it from you?

All the best,

violetazul
Old 2007-11-28, 12:08pm

The pendants are looking really good! Great JOB!!
The rings look like candy! Yummy!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-11-29, 8:13pm

Okay, here is my version of Paula's pendant...
this one the hole is perfect round...

And this one I stretched the hole.

Old 2007-11-29, 8:29pm

Heidi those are so pretty!

Old 2007-11-30, 7:37am
Butterfly Rancher

Heidi, those are gorgeous!

Old 2007-11-30, 9:13am

Gee...thanks! They're actually kind of fun to make...quick too.

Old 2007-12-07, 9:32pm

Umm I thought this was the newbie thread! lolol Those are very pretty!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-12-08, 6:51am

This isn't a glass question... does anyone know what is up with wetcanvas? I haven't been able to pull up the site since sometime last night?

Old 2007-12-08, 7:47am

Kare, I haven't been able to log on to WC either. They're definitely having some issues...