Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-11, 6:04am
And silence is golden

Default Cricket owners: What is the biggest bead you've made on a 5lpm concentrator?

In doing my research on oxygen concentrators, I read that 5lpm is sufficient enough to run a Cricket on. I'd like to hear from Cricket owners, what the biggest bead is that you have made on your torch using a 5lpm concentrator.
Old 2010-07-11, 7:22am
Present tense

I made an encased bead that's 23mm x 24mm, and the Cricket on a 5lpm oxycon didn't even bat an eye. In fact, when I made it, I'd forgotten I was using the Cricket and not my big torch. I don't remember any other larger beads made with it offhand, but I know making that bead on my Minor on the same oxycon would have been a slow exercise in frustration!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2010-07-11, 8:16am
And silence is golden

That's sightly under an inch. Anyone ever make any big honkers like 3 inch tube beads, or 2x1 inch tabs?
Old 2010-07-11, 9:35am
I need more boro stuff

They are not bead but boro sculptures. Are these qualified? The first picture is the smallest from all 4 and octopus is the largest.

Old 2010-07-11, 10:13am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Aleta, I used to make four-inch tube beads on my Cricket when I was using a 5-lpm concentrator with no problem. (I upgraded to a 15-lpm concentrator a year ago.) Just remember to give insurance heat to the rest of the bead when working on a particular part of it.

Old 2010-07-11, 6:10pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
They are not bead but boro sculptures. Are these qualified? The first picture is the smallest from all 4 and octopus is the largest.
I was told today, that boro on a Cricket with 5lpm concentrator was stretching the limits. You sure have proved that theory wrong. I love your work, I just thought that you were the owner of one of the higher end torch models using 10-15 lpm concentrator. Unbelievable!
Old 2010-07-11, 6:12pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvybuns View Post
Aleta, I used to make four-inch tube beads on my Cricket when I was using a 5-lpm concentrator with no problem. (I upgraded to a 15-lpm concentrator a year ago.) Just remember to give insurance heat to the rest of the bead when working on a particular part of it.
Thank you for that advice Evelyn! I love that bead! B.L.U...snicker!