No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-19, 10:00pm

Question Several newbie questions :o)

Hello, newbie here. Have a few questions for ya'

I purchased this bead annealer : http://artistryinglass.on.ca/CONE-AR...ONTROLLER.html
As you can see, the bead door is quite high off the table top, and several feet from the floor.

I am just starting out, using a hothead torch and effetre glass.

My questions regarding the kiln:

1) The bottom opening of the bead door is the same height as the floor of the kiln. It came with some furniture, (a shelf and 3 "legs") but nothing to hold mandrels. So, how would I put beads in the bead door and not have the mandrel just fall out again??? Do I need to create a thing to support the mandrels on the inside and outside? Do I need something on the inside? Or do the beads rest on the bottom of the kiln or on the shelf or insulation batting? (but then I would lose a lot of the height of the door since the bottom of the door is at floor level already) or just kiln wash the floor of the kiln?

2) Can I use the yet to be created mandrel rest as a rod warmer too? (just stick the ends through the bead door?). And same question as above... do they need to be elevated off the kiln floor?

3) Any brilliant ideas on how to best make a mandrel/rod rest if the front of the kiln is at the edge of the table? (Maybe wedge something between the stand and the bottom of the kiln?)

4) I want to attempt some christmas ornaments. Can you make snowflakes and other sculptural things (like an octopus?) on a Hothead with soft glass?

I'd also like to thank everyone who posted tips online about programming the kiln for garaging and batch annealing. Your instructions were very, very helpful!!!

And also thanks to all those who post tutorials. Love 'em!
Old 2014-12-20, 12:00am

1) The beads can rest on the bottom of the kiln. There are racks available to put on the inside of the kiln so the beads can be on several layers, or the beads can just be stacked. You can kiln wash the bottom, but make sure not to get any on the heating elements.

Examples: This goes in the kiln http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=1941

Look at the rod and tool holder on this page: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html
The hardware store sells flat metal sheets with holes that can be bent into a similar shape. Make sure it is not galvanized, but is stainless steel. What I did was take a two or three inch strip, bend the ends into ears, and then put at the back of the kiln. You can put the ends of the mandrels in the holes so you can have layers where the beads don't touch. But, if the beads aren't really hot when you put them in the kiln, it probably won't matter if the beads are touching.

Perhaps you are in Canada. There are mandrel rests and racks on this page: http://artistryinglass.on.ca/TWEEZER...HOLDING-TOOLS/

Or, if you have kiln furniture, you can just put shelf supports with the length resting on the kiln floor in the back of the kiln.

2) Rods can be warmed in the kiln. If there is any debris on the rod from the kiln wash or insulation, it should be wiped off. (Maybe someone else will give input on this. I think some people use kevlar sleeves.)

3) Some kilns have a rest on the outside of the kiln. It is still at about the kiln floor level, but is screwed into the metal of the kiln. You can bend a piece of sheet metal, or there are metal sheets with holes at the hardware store.

Look at the additions to this kiln: http://www.paragonweb.com/BlueBird_Jr.cfm

4) You should be able to make soft glass sculptural shapes. The radiant heat of the Hot Head might make it easier than on small burners such as the minor.

The Hot Head has a broad flame and is a good torch to use for glaskolben.
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/GLASKOL...ASS-ORNAMENTS/
The Hot Head can melt the glaskolben with no problem, but it does take some practice and if you find that blowing bulbs is difficult, it is not because a better torch is needed. There is a tutorial on the Artistry in Glass page, and also videos by Delphi Glass and others on YouTube.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2014-12-20 at 12:31am.
Old 2014-12-20, 12:22am
Corgi Cult Member

I've never used kiln wash on the floor of my kiln. I have a rack inside the kiln to rest the mandrels on. Once they have been in the kiln for a while, I will then stack them on the floor of the kiln so there is more room for new beads on the rack. I don't stack beads that have 96 frit on them.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-12-20, 2:07am
Glass-aholic

Kiln wash is a great cheap alternative to replacing the firebrick if glass gets stuck
In the brick. If your kiln got out of hand one day or you just put a bead in too hot, it can stick in the pores of the brick and will ruin it. Kiln wash is like bead release in this regard, it makes a protective barrier so stuff won't stick

You can buy it, or someone might have some you can have (cuz when you order it's a massive quantity!!) in powder form. You mix it until it's milkshake consistency and brush it on. And no, for this kind of use you do not need the fancy expensive brush give it plenty of time to dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-12-20 at 2:10am.
Old 2014-12-20, 7:30am
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Kiln wash is a great cheap alternative to replacing the firebrick if glass gets stuck
In the brick. If your kiln got out of hand one day or you just put a bead in too hot, it can stick in the pores of the brick and will ruin it. Kiln wash is like bead release in this regard, it makes a protective barrier so stuff won't stick

You can buy it, or someone might have some you can have (cuz when you order it's a massive quantity!!) in powder form. You mix it until it's milkshake consistency and brush it on. And no, for this kind of use you do not need the fancy expensive brush give it plenty of time to dry.
Probably but mine has been running over 13 years without.

Old 2014-12-20, 8:43am
MacGalver

Kiln wash on kiln floor is like car insurance ~ you won't think it's important until you are wishing you had it, and hopefully you'll never have the accident that makes you regret it!

Everybody's advice is excellent ~ the only thing I would add is: although you definitely can make things like snow flakes and octopus with soft glass, don't expect yourself to master off mandrel techniques and hollow ornaments too quickly - these are intermediate/advanced skills. You will get there, but be patient with yourself, and with the glass. Good Luck!

Oh, and YouTube is a great resource for glass-working demos!

Old 2014-12-20, 9:33am
Loving learning

And as to #1, putting half the mandrel inside plus the weight of the beads should keep them secure. I've got a different setup (Chilipepper) but my mandrels stick out a bead door, and they have never tried to fall out.
Old 2014-12-29, 6:31pm

I have fiber blanket in the bottom of my kiln to protect it.
Old 2014-12-30, 2:52am
Alaska Boro

As above did both. Kiln wash over the ISB plus a fiber blanket. Double the insurance!!