LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-29, 11:36am
He can do the origami

Brent, I was waiting for all the step by step tutorials with list of materials so I can re-produce what you do. I want to be a Mini Me version of you.

O.K. I guess I should quit being such a smart a.. well I should quit being so sarcastic is what I mean. Brent, thank you for sharing your creative process, your random thoughts and some of the random and intermediate steps of where you may go in glass.

I try very hard to stay out of the gallery because I want to keep some semblance of "me" in my beads. I know how easily affected I can be when I look at other's beads. This is a great thread to help inspire people to their own creativity and to possibly validate the creative process some people go through but are not confidant with.

I know when I returned from Glass Stock I returned with that inspiration and confidence. Not because of any one class or any one conversation....but because I was inspired and supported to follow my own passion in glass and not the market's idea of a glass bead and not anyone else's vision of right or wrong in glass. So I thank you Brent.

Otter
Old 2007-09-30, 2:12pm
boro color bender

I wasn't going to torch today, but I did anyway. Made a few beads that were totally just experimental. Used some Exotic powder and hopefully the metalic rainbow sheen stays... I added a few charcoal bricks to the kiln, to keep a reductive atmosphere. I just put them in a stainless tin, to keep the ash contained. We'll see in a few hours. They are almost ramped down. I'm hopeful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-09-30, 2:43pm
Trying to Hope!

ooohh a few piecesof charcol I never thought of that Iwill have totry it nexttime I do reduction stuff

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-09-30, 2:58pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
ooohh a few piecesof charcol I never thought of that Iwill have totry it nexttime I do reduction stuff
It burns up the oxy in the kiln and should help... we'll see.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-09-30, 3:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I'm going to electroform the donut... and the other pendant goes into the reject bowl... see that little bubble? Yeah, it's going into the bowl for that little bubble. I try really hard not to be like Monk, but I'm not always successful.
So where do we go to sign up to play in your reject bowl?

Fascinating thread, I'm not a boro-girl, despite my efforts, but this is fun to read, thanks for sharing!
Nikki

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-09-30, 3:45pm
boro color bender

Nikki, I will probably do a seconds category on my website and list 'em cheap. I just haven't decided if that's what i want to do with them. I have taken some to shows and done a misfit bowl... they sell really well. I think people enjoy digging.

Old 2007-09-30, 5:23pm
CA Queen Bitch

Brent I could just sit and look at your art all day long.................

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-09-30, 5:31pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads View Post
Brent I could just sit and look at your art all day long.................
Thanks Miss Suzy!

Old 2007-10-01, 4:19am
He can do the origami

Hi Suzy,
Just so you know, I could sit and stare at your glass art all day as well. I love your work.

O.K. enough hijacking the thread......sorry Brent.

Otter
Old 2007-10-01, 5:30am

I realize that from a technical perspective that unintentional bubbles in the encasing are "bad", but personally, I like them when they do show up -- they give a watery ethereal feeling of depth. I think they somehow add to the piece, rather than detract.

And I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.
Old 2007-10-01, 8:19am

I too think a bubble now and then is cool and show the work to be made by a human,although no machine could ever make anything that Brent makes.
G.
Old 2007-10-01, 8:46am
boro color bender

Ok, so the charcoal didn't hold all of the sheen, so they are getting electroformed... More pics of that later.

This morning I played with Psyche and made two goddess beads and a bicone. They are ramping down. The rest of the day will be spent doing chores... bleh!

Old 2007-10-01, 8:49am
CA Queen Bitch

Why thank you Otter Dear!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-10-01, 12:48pm

Quote:
Ok, so I didn't have much torch time yesterday. I did melt the end of a mystery rod... and wondered what color it actually was. So, I made a twisty with it. Here are the two pendants I made with that twisty.

Here's my typical vortex-ish pendant...

Here is the other one I made... the optics are really cool!

Wow, that looks like a curled up millipede. coollll!!!
Old 2007-10-01, 8:55pm
Just me

Going into the reject bowl? Who's reject bowl?
My reject bowl is warm, welcoming, and full of real ugly beads so your's would just shine and feel nothing but special.

I so totally understand the Monk referrence. He lives in me too.
I just don't have the technical glass skills yet to let him fully develop and call certain beads "rejects" like some artists can.

BTW cool stuff you're makin' there Brent.

So the coffee's good eh?

Quote:
I'm going to electroform the donut... and the other pendant goes into the reject bowl... see that little bubble? Yeah, it's going into the bowl for that little bubble. I try really hard not to be like Monk, but I'm not always successful.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-01 at 9:02pm.
Old 2007-10-03, 9:39pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Do Dogs have Eyelids?

Quote:
Hot sweet creamy coffee in hand... life is good!

Ok, so what's the point of this thread. Some of you are asking that I'm sure... I'm hoping it inspires people to look at their own work and build on what they are doing. Some folks are going to be inspired by the drips or what ever it is I'm doing... and they'll add that to their own work... and in doing so, they are going to miss the point. That's OK too. Whatever inspires people to move in a different direction is fine, but the purpose of this thread is to hopefully get people to examine their world and explore their own work in depth, without letting other artists distract them from the internal vision we all have.

I know when I look at other peoples work, it affects me. I try to skim through the show and tell here... I glance more often than not. I try to keep my focus on what I'm doing... what I want to be able to do... and let my inner vision come through.
I am enjoying this thread so much! It took me a long while to allow myself to really begin to look at artist's beads and absorb what I was seeing because I was so afraid of absorbing too much, that when I finally began to reach a decent technical level that all I would have would be a headful of art that wasn't mine.
Then today I was driving and was on the road for a little over 6 hours. I listen to books on tape when the radio gets too repetitive and the current book happens to be 'I Claudius'. Among discussion of depraved Romans and Greeks (lol) there was a bit about Cerberus, the hound of hell. Just then, for Freudian reasons I don't quite understand, your drips popped into my mind. Then I began to think "How would I go about making a bead of Cerberus? How would you make the mouth foam?(I'm pretty sure that's where the drips linked into it...I always see Cerberus as foaming at the mouth) How big could I go? Do all the heads or just one? What kind of glass? Psyche. That would be cool! How would I do the eyes? Do dogs have eyelids?" I became so involved in my thoughts I had to shut off the book because I wasn't paying attention to it anymore.
So thank you, Mr. Smiley, for helping me to burn up the miles when I couldn't burn glass (aar, aar...OK, I know it was bad, I couldn't resist). But seriously, this chain of thought has me wanting to try about eleventy different things when I fire up the torch this weekend. Now I have to go see if my dachshund has eyelids.

Astrid
Old 2007-10-04, 1:08am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

while you all are staring at eachothers art... let me steal them drops and run off..

Old 2007-10-04, 4:15am
boro color bender

Not so much going on with me and the torch the last day or so... I'll catch up on pics here soon. Sorry guys, I've been busy doing other things. I did get to go to my supplier yesterday and fondle tons of glass.

Old 2007-10-04, 6:35pm

I would love to look at the glass. I know what you mean about going to a supplier and fondling glass. It is the most fun thing to do. Especially when you see a new color you want to possess.
Way to go and have more fun.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-10-07, 12:19am
boro color bender

Not a lot going on the last few days. I'm getting my electroforming rig set back up and I'll snap some pics of the pieces I'm going to ad copper to. They just need more cowbell!

Old 2007-10-07, 1:13am
He can do the origami

Brent,
When you do get your electro forming unit operational I can't wait to see some pics. I like copper and the patina look is wonderful. I may someday do some electro forming, maybe you could help me with the patina process.

Otter
Old 2007-10-07, 8:42pm
oldest member

Default wowser

Brent love your drip droped beads.....are you sure you never dozed off in the middle of a bead...they are a neat approach thanks for the sharing of ideas....cheers seafire....
Old 2007-10-08, 6:06pm
boro color bender

Ok, so I told you all I was playing with Exotic Blue powder the other day... I made a really neat bead... here's the pics. I like it a lot, but I'm going to electroform it as well.

I was done with boro for a day or two, so I turned back the oxycons and set the kiln at 950...

Here's an organic bead I made with some of the silver glasses over opal yellow with a tracer of intense black for the web effect!

I'll catch you up more on the progress of my ADD... I've made a lot of different stuff in the last week or so.

Old 2007-10-09, 12:09am

NEED MORE DRIPPYS ON YOUR SITE!!!! MUST BUY!
Irene

Old 2007-10-09, 8:01am
Sharon

you are such a tease Brent!!

(posted when i was still on page 1)

Last edited by hotblubonnet; 2007-10-09 at 8:03am. Reason: afterthought
Old 2007-10-10, 6:18am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Here's an organic bead I made with some of the silver glasses over opal yellow with a tracer of intense black for the web effect!

I'll catch you up more on the progress of my ADD... I've made a lot of different stuff in the last week or so.

Those are so incredible! Reminds me of the strata(? layers of earth) that you see when a mountain or hill is cut open. I drive through some areas in Texas with cutaways like that and I love to see the layers.

More More!
Old 2007-10-12, 7:35pm

Brent,

That doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell. More pics would be great as well.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-10-13, 4:08am
boro color bender

More pics you say? OK!

Here's another neato pendant made from the mystery twistie.

Here's a floral implosion... petals are from the same twistie...

Then I was not in the best of moods the other day and decided to do some tube implosions... nothing like working tubing to get my mind off of a particular subject. I like to work things that require focus if I need to go all ZEN.

This was a morning where I wasn't quite awake, so I decided to do some frit vortexes... just to wake up.

Gotta use up the ends of the complex cane some how... might as well turn it into a drip pendant... it's way cooler in person!

I suppose I got in the mood to ad some 3-D flowers to pendants, because this is what came out of the kiln mixed in with some other stuff... variety is the spice of life for us ADD torchers!

Something darker... more mysterious...

Don't like how an implosion turned out? Not enough cowbell? Add some clear dots for interest... it'll make it more better!

Finally just play with a new technique... the smiley face was unplanned, but welcome. I'm going to turn these into a fireworks series... just playing on white first.

Old 2007-10-13, 6:08am

Holy cowbell! Just amazing. I love your work. I am going to have to come back several times today to ohh and ahh everything. Thanks for starting this thread. I really enjoy it.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-10-14, 12:39pm

On the second pendent what color is the center?
Great stuff as always.
G.