Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-10, 12:53pm
אהבה אני ישו

Default Technical Oxy Con Question

Hello Experts

I have an opportunity to get a Oxlife L-3 machine at a very cheap price. Is it worth getting? It is a 3LPM machine, but it says it has an output of 5 psi. I don't really know what that means in the "torch" side of things.

Can someone help me? Please.

Believer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2010-11-10, 1:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

About the only torch it would run would be a cricket and that just barely. I wouldn't bother with anything less than 5 lpm.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-10, 2:52pm
Alaska Boro

Most run a concentrator at about .5 LPM below maximum output to keep the oxygen purity level up. At 2.5 LPM, I would have to agree that this would not be a good purchase even for a Cricket.

Have been using a Cricket and it works well on propane (5 PSI) with one 5 LPM at 5 PSI machine for boro beads. However, by adding a second concentrator it even performs better.
Old 2010-11-10, 4:57pm
אהבה אני ישו

Aww poo

Thanks for your help.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2010-11-11, 11:24am

A cricket with this would probably beat a hothead, but this would need to be replaced in almost as short of order. I'd say it depends on how cheap it is and what you already have.