No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-05-04, 12:16pm
Pyromaniac

Bump
Can anyone help me with the cfm calculations?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-28, 3:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
My head is spinning from all the reading and calculations about ventilation, not fumes! I swear I really was good in math but I am overwhelmed trying to figure all this out.

I have a 96 X 60 inch (8 x 5 foot) island workbench. I am going to build a hood to hang over the table and vent out the north side of the house with no bends. Passive makeup air will come in from that north wall as well moving over the table and out with the fumes.

The way I understand it is:

1. The hood can be a few inches less than the table as long as the flame is entirely under the hood.

2. 96 x 60 divided by 144 x 125 = 5000 cfms needed for the fan.

How high off the table does the hood need to be?
What else do I need to know?

As for height, keep is as low as practical, at a level if you are standing or sitting at table you do not bump your head on hood... That usually translate to about 24 to 30 inches above table...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-06-11 at 7:26am.
Old 2009-05-28, 5:38pm

Leslie gave you some good suggestions about locating wall outlets above your work surfaces for things like smaller kilns, grinders, lights, etc. I would also put some below your bench. Turns out to be really handy for larger/floor kilns, oxygen generators if you decide to add them, and any other future need you haven't thought of yet.

Linda
Old 2010-06-11, 4:56am
Pyromaniac

Default The garagio is finished! (Image Heavy)

Finally the majority of the studio is done so I'm digging up this old thread to show you the before and after. Thank you to everyone who gave me your suggestions. We listened and made quite a few changes based on your experience and wisdom. This is a great space and the first open torch is tonight! Four local flameworkers and two fusing artists are joining me to demo and celebrate the new space.

Before:

During construction:

After:
Main torching area--

Seating area--

Fusing area--

Clean space for finishing, shipping, desk, display etc--

Closeup of Mirage vs Barracuda--

Old 2010-06-11, 5:45am

Lana, Wow you thought of everything and then some. Congratulations on your new studio space! Hope you have fun today with your demo.
MarieAnn
Old 2010-06-11, 6:36am
GlassDocNC

What a great space!
Old 2010-06-11, 8:15am
honorary bead lady

Lana that's cool!
Old 2010-06-11, 8:43am

That's beautiful Lana! It's really inspiring to see how your design evolved over time.
Old 2010-06-11, 10:22am

Congratulations!

Old 2010-06-13, 6:03am
Pyromaniac

Thanks everyone! It was really thrilling to see 5 people melting glass in there Friday night. Everyone brought samples of their work and sold work throughout the night.

Pictures from the open studio:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=105017980456

Old 2010-06-14, 7:03am

Beautiful studio!!! Congrats!!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-06-14, 9:16am
Will work for glass...

I've been thinking of doing something like this...do you mind if I ask you what the total cost was? (If you'd rather tell me privately, you can PM me...) If you'd rather not tell me at all, well, that's okay!
Old 2010-06-14, 9:57am
Pyromaniac

Alison, I don't mind telling you the cost at all; this is approximately how much everything was:

$400 -LWHD7000HR - LG Heat / Cool Window Air Conditioner with Remote - 7000 BTU
$225 - Vent Hood by local sheet metal shop
$775 - Squirrel Cage blower (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...67&N=0&sst=All)
$1980- Electrical wiring and lighting
$800 - 4 Stainless steel prep tables from local restaurant supply store
$225 - hard piping propane tank in from the outside.
$500 - hoses, connections, arrestors, regulators, fittings and manifolds for 5 torches (Mountain Glass Arts did a fantastic job on this)
$1100 - reception furniture and 4 drafting chairs
at least $700 metal ceiling panels
$6605 - approximate total

This does not include the cost of the torches, kilns, tools and other supplies. I'm sure I am forgetting some things as well.

I painted the bookshelves and walls myself and my boyfriend and did all the construction such as installing the metal ceiling, and he built platforms for the kilns and the reception area. He literally saved me probably thousands of dollars. My neighbor does commercial ventilation and installed the hood with blower to the outside for free.
(Good to have friends)

I budgeted $10,000 and would not be surprised if that was pretty close.

Old 2010-06-14, 11:09am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

First of all, INSANELY jealous!!! What an amazing space!!!

Second - Glad you reduced the "seating area" from your original
drawings. I was going to suggest that. It seemed to take up
a lot of space, and in a working studio, space to lay things out,
set up another student or make more storage, are top priorities.
Four chairs and a table seemed way too large.

Also, I noticed all the wall space you have that's unused.
You might look at purchasing and installing some units like this
to display items for sale and also put jewelry behind (the light
is perfect for jewelry and beads).

(Ikea carries them http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00093136 - very reasonable!)

You can use them to keep frit and other small jars too.

Looks great! Keep posting pics !!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-06-14, 6:13pm
Pyromaniac

What a great idea Karen and they take up NO floor space. I'll take a look and see if we can add those; thank you.

Old 2010-06-14, 6:20pm

Wonder if they would fit between the studs so you could have them flush.... Love them! And you can always us MORE storage.

Old 2010-06-14, 6:27pm
Pyromaniac

Amen sista! The walls are concrete block so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 2010-06-16, 10:17am
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
Wonder if they would fit between the studs so you could have them flush.... Love them! And you can always us MORE storage.
That was my first thought too, but I looked at the specs and they are just a little too wide and too deep (assuming 2x4 studs and 16" on center). Of course that started me thinking on, would I rather buy one of these or make my own built in between the studs? If I had seen them before I built my studio walls, I might have used 2x6s instead of 2x4s and changed the spacing just a bit in one or two places to make it so these would fit.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...