Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-09-09, 5:39pm

Unhappy It's glass. Please handle with care.

Hubby and I took a ride up to a large glass place here in MI. They aren't listed as a vendor here, but if anyone is familiar with MI they'll know who I am talking about. I've been there before and have always had good service. I don't know if they are cutting back to save money, but......when the young lady was packing up my glass rods (many of which were TAG/DH or Precison, not cheap)she stuck them all together in a small paper bag that only cover about 1/3 of the rods.

I asked if she could put them in a plastic bag and I'd roll them up. Well, it seems they don't have plastic anymore. I then asked for a larger paper bag and they all looked at me as if I'd asked for the moon. Then, the one pulled out a large paper bag. I put my rods in and rolled them up several times, thanked them and left. And I will not go back again.

For Pete's sake, they're glass not socks!!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-09, 6:09pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I'm in Michigan too!! Barb is NOT talking about me!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barb, hope you are going Saturday to Crista's.

Old 2009-09-09, 6:13pm

So aside from the lousy wrap job, how was the physical place? Full of fun stuff to fondle or all tucked away?
Old 2009-09-09, 6:44pm

Well, there is always a lot of stuff to look at -- both supplies and finished items. I guess it affected me worse than it might have if money weren't tight and I hadn't been saving for this for a while.

And no, JameyLynn, I am most certainly talking about you nor ANY vendor here on LE with whom I've done business. All of you respect the glass.

I'm on vacation this week and so have stuff lined up to do while the weather is nice, so I'll be unable to go Saturday. Tomorrow I'm going to South Haven. There is a bench on the channel walkway that has MY name on it. Am looking forward to just sitting a relaxing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-09, 9:41pm

I'm sorry to keep asking, but was there a lot of stuff that is on their website available to look at? I've been thinking road trip.

Just as a little matter of perspective (and I do understand the $$$ thing), my DH and I once stopped at a glass place 15 minutes before closing. The regular staff was already gone. Not only did we arbitrarily break boro and Effetre in half while the poor guy was trying to write the order, we carted it from IN to NC to FL and back to IL while pulling our luggage and stuff in and out of the trunk and moving it back and forth during the whole trip (we shop on vacation, we rarely shop at home!!!). None of the glass broke.
Old 2009-09-09, 10:27pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

They have a dichro wall that is to die for. I have been known to stand there and just stare at it in awe and drool a little.

Their lampworking area is limited. They do have lots of stuff, but quite often they don't keep the shelves up front stocked well, so if something is out, just ask, they will check and see if they have it in the back.

If you need sheet glass for stained glass or fusing, that area is like walking around in a candy shop.

Each spring they have a great contest for artists too. My daughter won several years ago, first place for youth lampworking. Proud mom talking here.

Old 2009-09-09, 10:29pm

I'm glad I don't live there because I could see me touching and staring at their dichro wall. They ship very well all the way here in California but it takes over a week to get orders from them to here. That's my only complaint.
Do you still have the bead that your daughter made? Love to see it.

Old 2009-09-09, 10:34pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I don't know if she still has the bracelet still or not. She made 32 beads to go on it I think it was. Several large beads and the rest were really super tiny beads. It looked really good. I'll have to ask her. Wow, I think that was probably 7 years ago. She was 15 at the time.

Old 2009-09-09, 10:42pm

Well Congrats to her. My daughter torched at 15. Now she's in her senior year in high school and has a boyfriend so her torching and her helping me assemble jewelry is over
It's amazing how much creativity teens have. They should really start teaching this in all high schools. My daughter keeps giving me advice on what to make but I tell her to try it herself. So far no luck lol.

Old 2009-09-10, 3:16am

The high school where I live just bought two or three minor bench burners last year and now offer a hot glass class I and II. My daughter (14) is in Hot Glass I the 2nd half of this year. They only get to make about 5 beads (cost constraints) but at least they have the opportunity to be exposed to it.

Of course, my daughter is all over my torch and will probably know more and have more experience than the class instructor. lol
Old 2009-09-10, 6:19am
I have beady eyes

I live not too far from that Large glass supplier in Michigan and I am always UNDERWHELMED at their store. They do have a great supply of dichro, and if you need sheets for stained glass, it is great. However, the lampworking dept is pretty sad. Lots of cheap "fireworks" brand - not much good stuff. As for the help - after they spend 10 minutes typing each number of each glass rod into the cash register - maybe they could spend 1 minute wrapping them in newspaper! For the price you will pay - take your money to a retailer who actually cares about glass.
Old 2009-09-10, 5:02pm

Kew: There is more in the catalog/online than on display in the store. Some of the items I had on my list had to be retrieved from somewhere in the back. If you've not been there, I would suggest go once, although I'm not as far from there are you.

Old 2009-09-10, 5:07pm

Quote:
I live not too far from that Large glass supplier in Michigan and I am always UNDERWHELMED at their store. They do have a great supply of dichro, and if you need sheets for stained glass, it is great. However, the lampworking dept is pretty sad. Lots of cheap "fireworks" brand - not much good stuff. As for the help - after they spend 10 minutes typing each number of each glass rod into the cash register - maybe they could spend 1 minute wrapping them in newspaper! For the price you will pay - take your money to a retailer who actually cares about glass.
I agree. I'm not into dichro or stained glass, but their inventory on these two is impressive. Every once in a while I like to get out from behind the PC and go to an actual store. This one is the closest and yesterday was such a gorgeous day. Ah well.......it's back to the PC.

Old 2009-09-10, 9:45pm

well I guess I must not shop in the right places because I have never had a brick and mortar store wrap my glass rods...I might have gotten a rubber band if I asked for one but usually it's just a paper bag and my receipt. Sheet glass they would wrap if I asked but not the rods. I've just never thought it was that important an issue *shrug*
Old 2009-09-11, 6:07am
drinks pickle juice

The quality of their lampworking area and service has, in my opinion, gone down a lot in the past 5 years. When I first started I liked to be able to look at each color and they had nice plastic tubes filled with half pounds of glass available on the shelf. now i think you need to ask for rods if you don't want to buy them individually, and they don't sell by weight but by number of rods.