No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-23, 10:52pm
Happy Glass Girl :)

Default Think I Broke my torch...

Its a Nortel Minor and I was busy encasing and pushing the glass onto the core bead in an aggresive fashion Darn molten end of the encasing rod slipped and I tapped a blob of molten glass right into the ports. I pulled most of it off but now my flame is messed up and it looks like one of the ports is partially plugged. Any suggestions? help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-23, 10:59pm
Entropy increasing....

Oh yikes. Do you have any of those tiny needle files dentists use to perform root canals???lol

I'm really sorry, what a bummer.

I really think those files would be handy, though.
Old 2010-08-23, 11:38pm

Bah I feel your pain, did exactly the same thing at xmas time with mine, I cleaned my ports as much as I could with the cleaning wire that was supplied with the torch, then seeing that I had nothing to loose as it just did not remove the glass I did the dunk in water and shock off, that helped a little but did not get it all out, I ended up buying another new one, I have plans to send this one off to try to get repaired at some stage. Good luck
Old 2010-08-24, 12:27am
Hello?

I've done this several times, and curse every time I do it. If you don't get every bit of glass out from inside the port it will mess up your candle. If you don't have the wire that came with the torch you can use some jewelry wire. I lost mine so that's what I do every time this happens.

Old 2010-08-24, 7:00am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Light your torch, let it run for a second, turn the propane off and QUICKLY dunk just the face of the torch in a glass of water. Use the tool to remove as much of the glass as possible and repeat. You till eventually shock all the glass off of it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-24, 8:51am
Happy Glass Girl :)

Thanks for the ideas you guys are awesome... I will try shocking it off after I pick at it some more.