Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

View Poll Results: What style torch do you use
I use a hothead or other air/fule torch. 191 26.75%
I use a single stage o2/fuel torch. 360 50.42%
I use a 2 stage torch with 2 posts. 91 12.75%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts with a foot pedal. 43 6.02%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts but no foot pedal. 44 6.16%
I use a 3 stage torch. 18 2.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-03-07, 7:55pm

I use a HH at present. Will upgrade to a 2 stage when money and talent allow.

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-08, 2:07pm

Quote:
anyone use the delta?
My girl friend meghan rocks out on a delta elite. Its bigger then her almost.
Some times I even get a chance to use it. lol lol lol. maybe if I get her a cobra She'll let me have more delta time.

I have seen a few pics of the 3 stage ones. They look awesome. I know of a few peep with them I'll see if I can get some acton shots. And see if they are ok with posing the pics.
Old 2006-03-08, 2:14pm
ManBearPig

I know Gateson uses a Cobra.

Here are some Python pics from the Flame Off in 2002...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-08, 2:34pm
PyronamixK

The amazing thing is how cool the troch runs. That the paint used on that Python is only rated to 250 degrees F and it's painted right to the end of the barrel up to the head of the torch. You could literally grab a hold of that barrel with the torch running like that. You can finish working on something, unhook the lines, and put it in your car and drive off that's how cool those torches are (because of the patented internal cooling system).

The flame coming out of that torch in the pictures is about 42" in length. The shoulder is about 3" in width at the face. It gets a little wider as it goes out.

And Chad, I believe that picture you posted earlier is of a Delta Mag. The barrel is wider on a Cobra. There are some pictures of Gateson rockin' the Cobra at AGI '04 on the GLDG.
Old 2006-03-08, 4:01pm

Yeah, I have a Delta. And I even actually use the outer ring some times. However, I need to extend my hood and baffle my exhaust better because it set off my fire alarm the last two times that I did.

Eric
Old 2006-03-10, 2:01pm

I don't remember what I voted, but now I its "I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts with a foot pedal."

I bought a smutboy420 pedal and I got lucky and just bought a GTT Mirage
Old 2006-03-20, 6:52am
Save the Numbats

I use a Herbert Arnold 50 mm. It's pretty rockin for blown beads and wine glasses.
That is, when I'm not using my Lynx. it's definitely faster on pendants, but really, the Arnold is pretty super darn hot too.
I miss my Mirage, probably more than Aaron G. misses his Herbert!
I'm waiting to buy a Delta mag with a Phantom middle, whenever I pay some credit cards down. I imagined such a torch to be my 'dream torch' back before they even existed, so I'm looking forward to having one someday.
Old 2006-03-28, 9:22pm

Thanks for explaining the stages to me Cosmo.
I didn't have a clue. I've only used a Minor, a Mini CC, and a Wildcat. I really like the Wildcat as it melts the glass really fast but sometimes its too fast for a little bead! I guess I should hook up the Barracuda one of these days...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-04, 12:54am
Formerly known as LT

I started on a bobcat and bought a lynx for my soon to be home studio. I used one at a class recently and loved it.I hope I have the same results at home.
Old 2006-05-01, 11:43am
ManBearPig

I got the chance to work on a Carlisle CC+ this past weekend. It's amazing how much the various torches differ. The face was roughly the same size as my Tiger Shark, and had about the same number of jets. But it melted stuff MUCH faster. I could make marbles in about half the time on one of those. I may be looking for one soon. I'd still like to try a GTT sometime, though...

Old 2006-05-30, 6:48pm
borobucaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I got the chance to work on a Carlisle CC+ this past weekend. It's amazing how much the various torches differ. The face was roughly the same size as my Tiger Shark, and had about the same number of jets. But it melted stuff MUCH faster. I could make marbles in about half the time on one of those. I may be looking for one soon. I'd still like to try a GTT sometime, though...
The funny part is the delta stomps the snot out of a cc+ and its not much different in face size.

-Tony Soprano
Old 2006-05-31, 7:12am

I am using a Hothead but recently bought a Minor and an oxygen concentrator is on the way.
Old 2006-08-18, 9:52pm

Well I need to update my vote as I now use a 3 stage toech with a foot pedal. I need to get a 3 stage foot pedal or a second 2 stage foot pedal though.

This is a bad boy!!!

http://webpages.charter.net/jokersdesign/GTT/3.JPG
Old 2006-08-25, 10:47am

Default Sweet!!!

Thats sweet!!!
Now thats one big bead one could make on that thing.
Old 2006-08-27, 10:44am
one day at a time

I have the Bobcat hooked up to an Airsep AS-12A generator. It's pretty hot and good for boro, and maybe a bit overkill for soft glass. I burn thru mandrels too easily if I don't watch it.
Old 2006-09-12, 10:54am

I have a 4 prong Knight Bullet with a Hotasstools foot peddle.
It's a great torch.
G.

Last edited by G.L.McBead; 2007-01-22 at 12:52pm.
Old 2006-10-21, 5:09pm

Whaaaaa. I want a bigger torch...

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-10-26, 9:57pm

I just got one of the remaining Piranha's up and running on a Delvibiss MC84, and it's great. It doesn't seem that the transition from the HH is going to be difficult at all. So far, all I can say is WOW!

BOB

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2006-10-27, 3:39am

Well, I just ordered a Mirage and I can't wait.....
Old 2006-11-23, 10:32pm

Hi, I use a red max. I usually keep to the small upper flame. I have wanted to start up with boro someday, but can't afford the glass at this time. Someday!! I don't mean to sound like a downer, I still have great fun and love with my soft glass.
Josie

Old 2006-12-13, 4:29pm

Whoo Hoooooo!!!!!!......I just picked up my brand spanking new Mirage from Flame Tree Glass. Lance at Flame Tree spent the time it took to teach me how to use it and helped me get it all hooked up. I can't wait to work boro on this. Okay, so I'm excited. Thanks for bearing with me here.
Old 2006-12-13, 9:27pm
Smooches!

Don't know which answer to choose on the poll. I use a lynx, with 3 posts.
Tell me which category it goes into, and I'll vote.

Thanks,
Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2006-12-14, 1:59pm
PyronamixK

Although the Lynx has three valves, it only has 2 posts. Posts (also called studs or barbs) are the inlets for the fuel and oxygen.
Old 2006-12-14, 5:09pm
Smooches!

Ok thanks. Now I'll go back & vote.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2006-12-20, 12:34pm

i voted hothead, but my torch is definately OTHER. i think it's just a plain old soldering/plumbing torch...
i think i get a new one for christmas though

"So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting."

Currently NOT Working on a Minor with Tanked oxy. (I'm so homesick!)
Old 2007-01-21, 7:29pm

Well I am finally a happy girl! I worked on the Cheetah that we set up at the studio for the last two weekends and love it! It melts BE like butter! But of course I had to try boro. I really like this torch because it has a busy flame and a narrow flame (as narrow as I need anyway), you won't accidentally reduce anything on it, and the barrel doesn't get hot. That's a biggie for me because the heat from the other bigger torches that I had tried was really bothering my middle aged eyes!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-01-31, 8:27am
Striking-impared...

Bobcat and HH. My next will likely be a Lynx.

Old 2007-03-27, 2:48pm
DSDWC

Just switched from a 2 stud Barracuda to a 4 stud Barracuda and a Bethlehem Foot pedal.
Loving it. No more turning off the outer fire to do my stringer work!!

Old 2007-04-26, 4:07pm

Let's see... I have a Hot Head, a Minor Burner, a Barracuda and a GTT Mirage with a homemade switching system to control the outer fire. The only other torch I want (for now) is a "Little Torch". That could come in very handy...

~R
Old 2007-04-26, 7:54pm
why hello

I've been using a HH for about a year now and I've just bought a minor and oxycon -I'm now waiting for my regulator - then I'll be good to go !