Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-12-07, 3:46pm
Fire and Fluidity

OMG Samma,

That is beautiful!! I think it needs a rosewood holder. Do you know any woodworkers?

Lynda, that seems like a good idea for experimental and small vessels, but I would worry about the release being strong enough to hold the piece as you decorate it.

Anyone else have things to show or comments about the tool?

-Don-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-07, 4:21pm

OH, thank you, Don! A rosewood stand would be awesome. I'll have to think about it...surely someone around here does some wood working. I was thinking clear glass, but the rose wood would be so classy. Thanks - Samma

Old 2008-12-08, 1:38am
Fire and Fluidity

Hi everyone,
I have been working on a streaming video setup on Justin.tv. like Joe and Barry at Avenue beads (www.justin.tv/avenuebeads) have. I should be able to do video demos by next week. Ah the wonders of modern technology (when it works!) LOL

-Don-

Old 2008-12-08, 3:08pm

Woo Hoo...anxious to see that Don...it's a wonderful and very fun thing. I'll watch for ya' to broadcast ;-D
Samma <-- who's putting the latest vessels in the S&T Boro thread

Old 2008-12-11, 11:57am
Fire and Fluidity

Well, I have been having extensive discussions with my ISP. The office in Anchorage says "no problem, we can upgrade your speed". Then when it doesn't I get several technicians who says "damn, I can't figure out why it isn't working". Then I finally get to someone locally who says " we don't have that service in Kodiak"! @#$%&%^*^(&%$#%&(_!!!!!!! So, today they are supposed to give me whatever is the maximum upload speed here. I'll see if it works tonight.

Old 2008-12-11, 12:17pm
Borovangelist

Fun trying to run a business isn't it? Ugh.

|
|
Old 2008-12-24, 9:20am
Bust It Big

Let us know when your tools will be avaiable for purchace I have been waiting for something like this to come about.

Old 2009-01-15, 11:00pm

any word on when these will be available?

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-01-20, 5:38pm
Fire and Fluidity

I finally have a commitment from a supplier who can make the tool at a fairly reasonable price. I'm still getting all the parts together, but I should be able to put the system out on the market next week. I have decided on a price, and will give a 10% discount from that for LE people. I am making an ad to put up in the sidebar here.
I have not been able to get the live video feed to work without a lot of delays, so that project is on hold. Maybe I can put up a demo on Youtube? Never done that before.

-Don-

Old 2009-01-21, 7:59am
Borovangelist

I just wanted to say, I liked my test version enough I bought it from Don so I can keep it. Now I just have to find time to make some stuff

I had a lovely little 3" hanging vessel my toddler accidentally smashed. Gotta love the kids.

|
|
Old 2009-01-21, 10:39am
Fire and Fluidity

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Any other testers want to comment?

-Don-

Old 2009-01-27, 11:05am
No Problem!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this discussion until now. I'm keeping mine too. (I'll send you the cash today Don)
All in all it's an awesome tool and gets the job done. The biggest improvement would be to just have two tapered reamers a full length and a shortened one for smaller wide mouth vessels. Markings on the reamer would be cool and all but if it increased the cost much it might be better to skip it.
Though I don't always use a necking tool for my vessels, the included necking part might work better in a V configuration rather than the arc. It works good as it is. But most necking tools are this way so that the tool contacts the glass at two small points on each side making it easier to start a straight line and cooling the glass less..
A little practice and it's just perfect!
I have a perfume bottle that I'll post pics of soon.
Check your PM Don.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-01-27, 11:49am
Fire and Fluidity

Beau, Thanks for the feedback, good suggestions. I actually have three reamers, cut off at various points for wider mouthed, shorter vessels. I have incorporated this idea in the revised instructions. You can mark your reamers with a white paintstick, then wipe it off the edges so it doesn't get on the inside of the neck. Most white paint has titanium dioxide in it which doesn't burn off easily.

-Don-

Old 2009-02-05, 8:34pm

like to bump this thread back into the lime light. just received mine today and it is one clean sweet tool. I havent used it as yet, but did contact Don on the necking tool that comes with it. I saw one on his daughters torch some time back and I can see myself using this a lot.
going to try my hand at using a blow hose and this necking tool will be fixed to my marver. not your standard necking tool, I know I'll love this product.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:28pm
The Torch Be With You

Are these now available for purchase?
Old 2009-02-06, 3:27pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default Boro version done!

Yes, the boro version is done. I am still working on the tapered mandrel for the soft glass version. Check your PMs.

-Don-

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2009-02-06 at 3:31pm.
Old 2009-02-06, 3:32pm
Fire and Fluidity

Thanks for the feedback, Murf!!

Old 2010-07-17, 7:57pm
Simply Bea

This looks like a really cool tool.
I am only just starting out with boro but need a bit more time before I can attempt this methinks.......

/
Old 2010-07-17, 10:41pm
Borovangelist

Funny this came up.... I used mine just the other day to do a stopper for a little blue bottle.

|
|