Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-09, 6:59pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default Etching boro

In response to a question in the bathroom:

Colored boro _will_ etch in Armor Etch. Different colors take different amounts of time, from 2 hrs to 2 days. You get a satin finish. I'll try to get a picture of what it looks like when I do this, but the effect is very difficult to photograph. Also, for colors that turn to yellow "poop" when reduced, the etch will take off the surface, showing you beautiful (sometimes) colors underneath. A before and after shot of this is easy, I just have to set it up and do it.
And no, clear (almost) doesn't etch at all.
-Don-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-09, 9:23pm

Theres always sandblasting.

Old 2010-02-09, 11:18pm
Whooooo, me?

I'm definitely not very well versed using boro, complete boro newbie. Evidently, the clear boro I used didn't get the memo that it wasn't supposed to etch though. (Used Etch-All for about 2 hours and used Elmers as a resist in some spots and bottom "drip" areas)

Beth
Old 2010-02-12, 7:50pm

Beth,
I love the clear etched ones.
Old 2010-02-15, 7:15am

Beth - I love the icicles! Did you use the dip or the paste to do your etching?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-15, 6:59pm
Fire and Fluidity

I did several test beads this weekend, took pics, etched them. Will put up "after" pics soon.

-Don-

Old 2010-02-18, 10:43pm
Whooooo, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Beth - I love the icicles! Did you use the dip or the paste to do your etching?
Thanks, Greg. I used liquid.

Beth
Old 2010-02-18, 11:41pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I had mine in the etch all for 5 days and they didn't etch!
I was going to give up and sandblast them.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-19, 6:08am

Wonder if it's the brand of glass? Beth and Karen, do you know if you used Simax, Kimax or something else? Unless you use the same brand exclusively, you probably won't remember, but just wondering.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-19, 6:34am
ManBearPig

Clear borosilicate was developed to resist caustic chemicals (like those used to etch). From what I've read, adding colorants to the glass will reduce that resistance, so in theory colored glass should etch easier than clear.

I have never tried to etch borosilicate so I don't have any experience to back that up, but I have a shiny new sandblasting cabinet waiting on the snow to melt so I can get it out to my shop and set it up...

Old 2010-02-20, 6:53am
Pyromaniac

Those are very cool! Beth, what clear did you use?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-02-25, 4:32pm
Whooooo, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Those are very cool! Beth, what clear did you use?
Lana,

I "think" it was Simax, but am not absolutely positive. Will have to check at Mtn. Glass to see which boxes I pulled from next time I am up there to be positive.

Beth
Old 2010-03-01, 11:05pm
Fire and Fluidity

Sorry it took me so long. Here are before and after pictures of a heart and two views of a marble. Remember, I use Armor etch, which must be weaker than the stuff beth is using. Note that the areas covered with clear are still shiny, but the etched areas have gone satin mat. There are some cool colors under that ugly pink and poop!

-Don-

Old 2010-03-02, 6:49am

Wow thanks for the before and after pictures Don.
Old 2010-03-08, 12:29pm
Fire and Fluidity

Hi everyone,
Has anyone else tried this on colored boro, with either Armor Etch or Etch All?
-Don-

Old 2010-03-08, 1:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Clear borosilicate was developed to resist caustic chemicals (like those used to etch). From what I've read, adding colorants to the glass will reduce that resistance, so in theory colored glass should etch easier than clear.

I have never tried to etch borosilicate so I don't have any experience to back that up, but I have a shiny new sandblasting cabinet waiting on the snow to melt so I can get it out to my shop and set it up...
Colored boro does etch easier. IMO etched (chemically) boro feel scratchier than soft glass though. I wonder if sandblasting would make it softer?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-03-08, 1:26pm

Don, Sorry I didn't see your post. I used etch all: Creme and liquid.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-10-04, 12:26pm
Wonder-wench

Default Cheapo DIY sandblasing set-up for boro etching

I've learned so much from this site, I would like to give back by sharing this DIY cheapo boro etching set-up.
  1. repurpose hubby's dusty, never used airbrush compressor (puts out about 40 psi)

2. purchase cheap "Air Eraser" mini-sandblaster gun from Harbor Freight
    "]
  3. purchase jar of 220 aluminum oxide grit from Harbor Freight
    "]
  4. cut up an old plastic box from the garage to make a DIY sandblast cabinet

in the spirit of reduce/re-use/recycle, I found this empty plastic box in the garage.

using the trusty Dremel drill to cut armhole and a vent hole.

cut out a couple of "viewports" in the lid

insert a cheap (99 cents for 3 at Harbor Freight) dust mask into the vent hole to allow for air to escape box but not the dust

re-purpose some transparency film to cover the viewports on the lid (because who really uses transparencies anymore in this age of Powerpoint)

holey socks for the with the toes cut off for the handholes (I had no issues with "blasting my skin", this air compressor and grit gentle enough, even for a delicate flower like myself, to do with bare hands. The socks are just to provide a seal around the handholes to keep the dust inside)

and voila, a cheapo "sandblasting cabinet"

Air Eraser - $20
Aluminum Oxide - $7
household junk - $0
weekend entertainment value - PRICELESS

oh, yeah and it actually works. Tonight I'll post the pictures of a fugly boro marble I actually tested this whole rig on. The finish is a beautiful, satiny etch!

Last edited by AmorphousDesigns; 2010-10-04 at 12:35pm. Reason: newbie poster errors
Old 2010-10-04, 7:22pm
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^^ wow. love it.

etching boro is like swimming the English channel; if you're looking for me, I'll be on the train.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-11-03, 8:27pm

No kidding!! I LOVE it too! Thanks for the pictures!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-11-03, 8:45pm
geekitude on two wheels

omg, lizzie that is the coolest thing I've seen in months! You should put it in the tuts section so it doesn't get lost in here. I love hacking stuff. And I love how icicle-y the clear frosted icicles are, Beth - most people make the twistie kind which are pretty but I like the realistic version best
Old 2010-11-03, 9:21pm
Borovangelist

Hmmmph. I'll be darned.

That also reminds me I haven't made any icicles yet this year.

|
|
Old 2010-11-08, 6:02pm
Wonder-wench

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutycat View Post
omg, lizzie that is the coolest thing I've seen in months! You should put it in the tuts section so it doesn't get lost in here. I love hacking stuff. And I love how icicle-y the clear frosted icicles are, Beth - most people make the twistie kind which are pretty but I like the realistic version best
thanks for the positive feedback! If you make your own, make sure your handholes and viewport are comfortable for you. I have to tip this thing up a little to see inside, which can be a little awkward. Also, I have a hard time reaching around inside the box to the corners, cuz the armholes are a little small or too far apart so when I dropped the marble I had to "unglove" and pop the top to grab it again. No biggie, just things I would pay more attention to next time.

Old 2010-11-26, 3:13pm
Oh my!

Is it possible for you to post some pics of your finished product using your (ahem) very expensive sand blasting cabnet?