Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-03-05, 1:32am

Location: Liechtenstein (a tiny country located in Europe, next to Switzerland)
Talking

Quote:
I am a lefty too! I want Malcolm's stump shaper now...I agree the original is for righties mainly.
Who knew all these peeps wer also lefties?
I have found it to be sometimes difficult when taking a class although all my teachers have been wonderful about it! Of course, all my teachers are wonderful, since I have taken classes only @ Blue Moon.(Shameless plug for my fav glass place-not that they need it)
Lefties of the torch, unite!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lefties of the torch UNITE
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lets do it
Old 2011-03-05, 7:28am
formerly Marella

Lefty here as well.

I don't find a problem with any of my tapered marvers, and adding an alternate surface would be easy if you wanted to.

What I have trouble with is the toothed hemostats...like scissors, there's a "push" and a "pull" way, lefties have to "pull" the ratchet apart. I'm a dentist too, and this is a problem in practice (hemostats, snaps, needle drivers). Left-handed dental tools are available, but very, very expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2011-03-05, 7:49am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I bought my creation station there too. My teacher recommended them to me.
I
my creation station, I wouldn't work without it.

Old 2011-03-05, 7:56am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Lefty here as well.

I don't find a problem with any of my tapered marvers, and adding an alternate surface would be easy if you wanted to.

What I have trouble with is the toothed hemostats...like scissors, there's a "push" and a "pull" way, lefties have to "pull" the ratchet apart. I'm a dentist too, and this is a problem in practice (hemostats, snaps, needle drivers). Left-handed dental tools are available, but very, very expensive.
Pheh, scissor related handles and such.
I think that's been the worst of being a lefty. I can remember the Christmas my DH bought me left-handed Ghinger shears for my quilting. I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

I love how it's always OK to charge twice as much for an implement because you're not like everyone else.

Old 2011-03-05, 10:35am

Talking

Quote:
Lefty here as well.

I'm a dental technician working as a trainer. The handpiece I'm using as a right hander and all the other tools I'm using as a lefthander.
When I begin something new I always have to decide whether I will do it as a right or lefthander. To tell you the truth I'm a bothhander

I can write with both hand.
But once I've decided which hand I want to use, I stick to it.
Regarding lampworking I found out that I feel more comfortable as a lefthander.
Old 2011-03-05, 10:46am
formerly Marella

Oh boy, I couldn't use a handpiece with my right hand, but I do more extractions with my right...better grip strength but no fine motor control, LOL.

...only my left for writing and fine things, applying stringer, needlework, etc.

~
~
~
Old 2011-03-06, 1:05am

Red face

Quote:
Oh boy, I couldn't use a handpiece with my right hand, but I do more extractions with my right...better grip strength but no fine motor control, LOL.

...only my left for writing and fine things, applying stringer, needlework, etc.
I'm just the same. I have more strength in my right hand. So all the "brutal stuff"
I do with my right one and all the "sensitive stuff" I do with my left hand. During the time when I was a student the lab that I used to work for didn't have a left hand orientated handpiece. So I got used to doing the grinding part with my right hand. By the way, here is one of my cases done with e.max full ceramic:

The patient is my boyfriend.
Old 2011-03-06, 10:25am
formerly Marella

Very nice result...great documentation of the case!

~
~
~
Old 2011-03-20, 3:19pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have brass 'Stump Shapers' in both left handed and right handed versions.

(about half way down the page)

Malcolm

Thanks to Malcolm!
Now I have one of his left handed Stump Shapers!!!
Old 2011-03-20, 5:15pm

Quote:

Thanks to Malcolm!
Now I have one of his left handed Stump Shapers!!!
Please let us know how it works for you

And, thank you for your business!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-03-20, 6:00pm

Default left handed tools

My Tapley lentil tongs can be used with either hand. They are the least expensive. See at
or Ebay. The tongs are $15.00 plus postage. International postage is $13.95
Darrell
Old 2011-03-21, 11:49am
Apparently Invisible

Quote:

Lefties of the torch UNITE
Lets do it
It has been a while since I was here.

I agree let's do it!
Did you get the left handed stump shaper? I might sell mine (right-handed), and get Malcolm's.

Old 2011-03-22, 3:05pm

Quote:
It has been a while since I was here.

I agree let's do it!
Did you get the left handed stump shaper? I might sell mine (right-handed), and get Malcolm's.
Yes I bought it.
It looks great.
But I didn't have a chance to try it yet.
I'm on holidays.
Old 2011-03-22, 5:25pm
Crispy Critter

I have nothing to add, but just wanted to chime in as a fellow leftie.

Old 2011-04-04, 8:54pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Yep, me too, I'm a lefty. It doesn't slow me down either ~ all
the tools seem to work for me with no problems.

Old 2011-04-04, 9:25pm
Entropy increasing....

I've got some left handed hammers.

Old 2011-04-05, 10:27am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I've got some left handed hammers.

Old 2011-04-05, 10:39am

Glad I found this thread. I've had problems with the stump shaper and didn't realize it was more oriented to a right-handed person. I'm a definite lefty too! I'll check out Malcolm's website. And thanks for the suggestion on modifying a graphite marver!
Old 2011-04-20, 9:47am

I'm a lefty also. I can vouch for Mikes Brass tools. they are great. Another good tool is the graphite Mikey. I love that thing.

Choschiba my dd is a left handed dentist! She had a special room built for her to work.
Old 2011-04-20, 12:03pm
Redbearmountain

Just thought I would chime In. I write and eat left handed everything else I do right handed. I cannot write at all right handed. I use scissors in the right hand also. But when torching I have a electrical mandrel spinner and that is in my left hand spining while I have glass and use other tools with my right hand. I have to have the mandrel spinner in the left hand.

Old 2011-05-03, 8:06am
ManBearPig

I have used all my tools in both hands. There are certain things I do with my left hand and certain things I do with my right hand, and can't see any difference. I have used my diamond shears and glass shears in both my right and left hand and they work fine either way. I have a stump shaper and it works fine in either hand as well.

Old 2011-05-03, 10:20am

Is it odd that when I do my newbie version of lampworking, I can't for the life of me do it like a right-handed person although I am right-handed? So I may not be left-handed, but the crafting devil inside me is!!