Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-20, 12:37am
frenetic crafter

I'm going to join the "I'd like to buy some crackberry" crowd. I have wanted to snag some to mess around with - rubino is hating me and I want to see if I can get better colors from cranberry. If anyone is willing to sell me some because it is cracky, I'd love a bit.

Sheila, the lentils are pretty! It is a bummer that they cracked, they remind me of homemade lollipops.
Old 2011-04-20, 7:29am
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Well, so far for me the best Cranberry color has been Gold Ruby from Olympic Color Rods. I don't like Rubino and I guess yet again, there is another color I cannot use. At least for encased beads. It looks more pink in the picture. Mine is cranberry color.

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1777
Actually I like this color. Transparent??
I have never used this brand of glass before. How does it compare?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-20, 1:55pm

I love CIM glass, so easy to work with and great colors.
Old 2011-04-20, 4:13pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
Christy, I personally LOVE reichenbach glass. They have a pink pearl glass that has a shampoo sheen to it that I just adore, too. Oh, and the lipstick is just the perfect bright red and photographs red, not brownish red like Effetre, under fluorescent lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-04-20, 5:58pm

I think the batches from this year are cracking. I've got some from a year ago and it's fine- this reall sucks! Susan, may take you up on the dark, I've got some~
Old 2011-04-20, 6:04pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I'm going to join the "I'd like to buy some crackberry" crowd. I have wanted to snag some to mess around with - rubino is hating me and I want to see if I can get better colors from cranberry. If anyone is willing to sell me some because it is cracky, I'd love a bit.

Sheila, the lentils are pretty! It is a bummer that they cracked, they remind me of homemade lollipops.
Just shot you a PM...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-21, 10:23am

I've been very interested in this thread because I had ordered 3# of CIM Cranberry and it is coming next week to our other place where I go in the spring and I only have a HH torch there.I saw this thread after I ordered the glass.Today I have been packing up all my glass I want to have down there and have to confess that I found I am not the smartest bulb in this box I ALREADY had a pound of both the dark and lighter CIM Cranberry and didn't know it.The darker's number is 511926-2 as opposed to the lighter 511926. What I ordered is the lighter..the darker wasn't offered and it was advertised as opaque..which it isn't but I knew that anyway and didn't want opaque.Sangre is a nice opaque dk pinkish close to red BTW..but..what's gonna crack? All of it??Geesh...but I was a blond baby..lol..sorry blondies..was joking.
"

Old 2011-04-21, 3:20pm
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Christy, I personally LOVE reichenbach glass. They have a pink pearl glass that has a shampoo sheen to it that I just adore, too. Oh, and the lipstick is just the perfect bright red and photographs red, not brownish red like Effetre, under fluorescent lights.
Thanks for this tip.
Is Olympic Color Rods the vendor you guys use to get Reinchenbach??
And what is this "bundle" price? is this like 1/4 pound price??

Christy
Old 2011-04-21, 7:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

A bundle is 1/4 kilo approx. which is about 8.8 ox. if I remember correctly.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-21, 7:46pm

It melts very nicely, similar to CIM. It does not metal like Rubino so you don't have to worry about working it cool. I really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post

Old 2011-04-21, 8:07pm
And silence is golden

Have any of you tried any of the Devardi cranberries? I have yet to have them crack on me. However, I haven't encased with them yet. They don't get livery or go gray like rubino sometimes does. Just a nice rich juicy cranberry color!
Old 2011-04-21, 9:10pm

The Devardi is nice too. I just wish the canes were smaller.

Old 2011-04-22, 10:40am
Glass my new Obsession

The cranberry I just bought from the local glass shop seems fine

Old 2011-04-24, 6:56pm
addicted to dichro

I've been disappointed with everything I've tried from CIM.

Old 2011-04-24, 7:32pm
Nikki Haverstock

I love everything I have tried from CIM.
Old 2011-04-24, 7:45pm
Oinky Oink!

I wanted to try some Devardi rose or cranberry as "Crackberry" substitute.
How would they compare?

Christy
Old 2011-04-25, 7:22am
Lampworkaholic!

Devardi Rose is a gorgeous fuchsia/magenta color but the rods have a lot of inclusions and seed bubbles. Devardi Cranberry looks more cherry red to me.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-25, 8:04am
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Devardi Rose is a gorgeous fuchsia/magenta color but the rods have a lot of inclusions and seed bubbles. Devardi Cranberry looks more cherry red to me.
Fuchsia is actually the color I am looking for. I guess they have rose or dark rose. Is one brighter/better than the other? Maybe I should try their pink variety pack. I am willing to try it.. It's certainly reasonably priced. But I guess they do have their issues.

Christy
Old 2011-04-27, 8:28am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I love everything I have tried from CIM.
Same here.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-04-28, 10:06am
Mary Lockwood

I love everything I've tried from CiM too. I don't have the cracking cranberry so I can still say that.

Old 2011-05-09, 5:50pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I did this bead as a test of whether or not the cranberry I have is crackberry....yup, it's crackberry. It cracked about 6 hours after I got it out of the kiln and cleaned it. Plus it went all livery and ugly, too. Bleh.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-05-09, 5:56pm
Oinky Oink!

Yikes.
Sorry to hear that Lori.
And you didn't use it as an encasing either. So, it cracks no matter what.

Is that CIM Peace that you use as dots?

Christy
Old 2011-05-09, 6:01pm
sunscreen me baby

It's just cracking even by itself? wow.

~

Old 2011-05-09, 6:01pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

The dots are pastel lavender blue or opaque ink blue or whatever they call it now.

*f

Old 2011-05-09, 6:02pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
It's just cracking even by itself? wow.
It's encased in effetre clear.

*f

Old 2011-05-09, 6:02pm
Nikki Haverstock

Lori, is it just cranberry and the dots? No clear or anything? I would think that would be safe even with different COEs.

Oops. You slipped your response right as I posted. Nevermind.
Old 2011-05-09, 6:03pm
sunscreen me baby

So when was this batch out? Not that I can remember when I bought mine, lol.

~

sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
It's encased in effetre clear.
oh, ok.

~

I made a large pressed lentil with cranberry, dichro, and white swirls on top. Probably a thin clear encasing due to the dichro.

It cracked down the mandrel on both sides. So I figured I didn't reheat enough, heated it thoroughly to glowing and popped it back in the kiln, and it did the same thing again.

Not creating any faith in CiM here...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-05-09, 6:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I think this is just a funky batch of one color. I don't think it's a CiM problem, per se.

*f