LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-25, 1:57pm

Default Silver Foil?

What exactly is the difference between silver foil and silver leaf and where do I get it?

Chris S.
Old 2011-05-25, 2:01pm
Burning through glass

Hi Chris, short quick answer: Foil is thicker than leaf. Arrowsprings carries both, and has descriptions that might help explain. You can find it here: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/leaf__foil__wire.html

Personally, I do like to use the foil over leaf, leaf is just too delicate and too much of a pain to use for what I do. Still, the leaf offers results and effects that is different than the foil, vice versa. It's personal choice too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2011-05-25, 7:35pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, I buy my foil and leaf from several places Frantz Art glass carries it and so ABR Imagery, Howaco glass also has both. Arrowsprings has it also but they charge an arm and a leg for shipping on things. That is why I don't buy much from them unless I have to.

Old 2011-05-26, 12:03pm

Silver Leaf (25 sheets) $12.43
Silver Foil (25 sheets) $14.85
Art Glass House, Inc.
800-528-8009

Last edited by R4GlassStudio; 2011-05-26 at 12:39pm.
Old 2011-05-26, 12:58pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Sorry, but these days everybody charges an arm and a leg for shipping, because shipping has gone Up and Up and Up. Boxes, time, packing materials and the cost of the shipping itself has gone up. Could be related to gas prices.

Ordering light things is fun though..like JetAge murrini?? :>

Last edited by FosterFire; 2011-05-26 at 1:07pm.
Old 2011-05-26, 1:21pm

I started to put stuff in my cart on Arrow Springs. Foil, some sample packs of frit , silver wire came to about $27. The shipping was $20. There was hardly any weight to what I was prdering and I know USPS has boxes that ship starting at $4.95.
Old 2011-05-26, 2:27pm
Burning through glass

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post

Ordering light things is fun though..like JetAge murrini?? :>
Awww, you're so sweet!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2011-05-26, 7:14pm
Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
I started to put stuff in my cart on Arrow Springs. Foil, some sample packs of frit , silver wire came to about $27. The shipping was $20. There was hardly any weight to what I was prdering and I know USPS has boxes that ship starting at $4.95.
I mam pretty sure that Arrow Springs does a refund of excess shipping after they actually get the orders, and total the wights for shipping

Old 2011-05-27, 9:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
I mam pretty sure that Arrow Springs does a refund of excess shipping after they actually get the orders, and total the wights for shipping
Yes, this. I've ordered from them before.