Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-05, 7:28pm

Default Arrow Springs website

Do they sell Effetre glass? I couldn't find any. I click on "catalog" and then "glass info" and it just provides info, no glass for sale. I did find some really cool silver glass for sale, but no Effetre. Just wondering if it is just me having an issue navigating....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-05, 7:48pm

No, not just you. I noticed the same thing. It appears that they are now only selling their own, Belladonna glass line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-05, 8:21pm
Catnip Pusher

They are in the process of moving, so if it is all packed up I think they took it off the website temporarily. They ought to put a notice on the website though!

OTOH, I wouldn't want to have to move a whole glass warehouse...

Aimee
Old 2012-09-05, 10:34pm

They must be busy. I placed an order on the 1st of Sept. Paid and asked for shipping prices before they sent in the messages box. They went ahead and charged me, then I sent a couple emails. On the 5th they sent an email saying they were out of most of what I wanted (still no price quoted for shipping), and "how do I want to proceed with my order?".
Just cancel it, I said, and let me know that you have PLEASE. Still no communication, and the charges are still outstanding on my bank statement.
I am NOT happy with their service.
ALso, if they are out of stock on most of the things I wanted, they should have put it up on the website. Would have saved me a lot of time, trouble, frustration, and now money outstanding in my account that I can't use to order elsewhere.
Old 2012-09-06, 5:00am

someone posted the other day saying the Arrow Springs is no longer selling glass other than their own Bella Donna as they were loosing money on it. They are just going to be selling tools from now on.

Old 2012-09-06, 5:21am
Lampworkaholic!

I always call my orders in to Arrow Springs and have them check availability, knowing there is no real time inventory on their website. I also get the shipping total that way.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-06, 7:06pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've taken to calling to check availability if it's something I need right away. I've then ordered online with a notation that if they're out of something they should send what they do have immediately and cancel the rest of the order.

They are back ordered with annoying frequency, but they're good people and make great tools so I order from them on occasion.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2012-09-06 at 7:09pm.
Old 2012-09-06, 7:12pm

I ordered online Tuesday night and got a call Thursday afternoon about two back-ordered items. Silver leaf and silver foil will hopefully will be in next Thursday - so I told them to wait and ship then. Service has usually been good - but their glass inventory was getting pretty thin. Time to find a new source.

I'd called them when I couldn't find any Effetre glass on their site and they told me it was costing them money to sell it so they weren't going to anymore (makes sense). But I like the dip-n-go bead release and don't know where else you can get it.

Old 2012-09-06, 7:39pm
I need more boro stuff

Are they getting rid of their bead release as well? How bout etching crystal?

I probably have to stock-up....

Old 2012-09-07, 8:06am

Don't you just love the economy and what it is doing to our favorite glass shops? It is so frustrating that glass shops are having to cut back just like we are. Hopefully we will all survive and get back on our feet again.

Keep fighting Arrow Springs, we are all struggling.

Old 2012-09-07, 8:20am

It is not the economy. It is the importer. When an importer controls most of the market and sells to your favorite glass shop and then sells that same glass directly to the public for less, your favorite glass shop gets stuck with a lot of inventory that they can't sell. Why would they buy more? Once all of the glass shops have gone under and there is just one big importer left you can all expect to see prices go up!
I have hardly bothered with Effetre for this reason. And I now buy only from the one importer, Ed Hoy, that has a history of never undercutting it's dealers.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-09-07, 11:41am
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
It is not the economy. It is the importer. When an importer controls most of the market and sells to your favorite glass shop and then sells that same glass directly to the public for less, your favorite glass shop gets stuck with a lot of inventory that they can't sell. Why would they buy more? Once all of the glass shops have gone under and there is just one big importer left you can all expect to see prices go up!
I have hardly bothered with Effetre for this reason. And I now buy only from the one importer, Ed Hoy, that has a history of never undercutting it's dealers.
THIS!!! And I just want to add that I am heartbroken that Arrow Springs won't be able to continue to sell "regular" glass (i.e. Effetre, Vetrofond, Bullseye), because of this. They have been my go-to people from day one and I love them and their staff like family. I will greatly miss driving up the hill and being able to pull my own glass from their warehouse while chatting with the staff.

Also, I hope folks will continue to support Arrow Springs when it comes to buying tools - their tools are first rate and Craig creates them - they are not sent to China or wherever to be knocked off from some one elses' design. Just sayin'...

Old 2012-09-07, 11:52am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Yep. I'm glad I really just use DH glass 95% of the time and I buy directly from them.

Old 2012-09-07, 12:18pm

Art Glass House it a great supplier here on the east coast. They sell Effetre at great prices.
Old 2012-09-07, 3:02pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Yep. Makes me furious, especially when you consider that Arrow Springs plays fair when selling their tools to those same importers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
THIS!!! And I just want to add that I am heartbroken that Arrow Springs won't be able to continue to sell "regular" glass (i.e. Effetre, Vetrofond, Bullseye), because of this. They have been my go-to people from day one and I love them and their staff like family. I will greatly miss driving up the hill and being able to pull my own glass from their warehouse while chatting with the staff.

Also, I hope folks will continue to support Arrow Springs when it comes to buying tools - their tools are first rate and Craig creates them - they are not sent to China or wherever to be knocked off from some one elses' design. Just sayin'...
I hope so too. Craig and Donna have done so much for the glass world, and they're good people. And Craig is the Tool Master!

Old 2012-09-09, 3:34am

hearing this makes me glad i buy boro now! not to say there isn't price gouging with boro, but clear is cheap as hell and most of the colors i use are made right in the usa.

it does seem some soft glass prices are just going up and up and up.
Old 2012-09-10, 4:36pm
Arrow Springs

Default The Real Story - from Arrow Springs!

When we began what people said about us was this “there is always something new at Arrow Springs” – it was an exciting time full of amazing creativity, we were helping to make possible a whole new branch of glass art with tools, kilns and “toys” never dreamed of before. We expanded our inventory to supply the growing needs of our growing field. But now, it is about optimizing. We are optimizing our space (which will involve a move, now in process), and our product lines. We are working very hard to keep our amazing staff all in place.

The economy has presented challenges to us all. We have brainstormed and crunched numbers – but most importantly we have listened to you, our customers. The most important asset we can provide is to continue to make available the very finest American designed and made tools in the lampworking world and also to create new and exciting glass and frit blends.

You can buy Effetre and videos and other supplies at a dozen or more places. When we started we could count suppliers on one hand and not use all the fingers. We will continue to carry other lines of glass beyond BellaDonna, but it will be available for purchase via phone or email, we won’t be putting it up on the website. We will try to keep the basics in stock at all times: clear, black, ivory and white along with a selection of the most asked for glass – and still at competitive prices.

In the meantime we sincerely, from the bottom of our hearts, appreciate your continued support. You have always been there for us and we are trying our very hardest to be here for you with the products you need the most. We have every intention of emerging from this optimization process a leaner, streamlined, more efficient glass and tool provider that you can always count on for the very finest and most cutting edge, innovative products.

Thanks for the discussion, we care so much about you, our glass family – it’s nice to see the concern and support here!
Donna Milliron
Arrow Springs – Milliron Tools- BellaDonna Glass – Dazzlings! frit blends
Old 2012-09-10, 4:47pm
Catnip Pusher

Thank you for clarifying Donna! I still find Arrow Springs to be my go-to shop for the latest and best in tools, and of couse the BellaDonna glass is wonderful!

Aimee
Old 2012-09-11, 10:42am
too many rods in the fire

Thank you Donna, for taking the time to post here. You and Craig and the whole AS gang are much loved, and I know we want the best for you and your business.

I hope after everything settles a bit, that AS will continue to offer the amazing classes you have offered in the past as well. I know I have taken several classes there, and have learned SO much, and in such a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

And selfishly, I am glad to hear that I will still be able to come up the hill to visit and buy some glass basics, as well as any wonderful new tools or your own brand of glass that I might covet.

Old 2012-09-11, 10:47am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks, Donna. I love Arrow Springs and have been buying from you for at least 10 years. Great service, great prices and great customer service. I'm really glad you will still be in business!

Old 2012-09-11, 11:16am
Flame Dames Rule!

Thank you, Donna - the local folks have been asking me for info, I'll email your post out to them.

I'll always be there to support Arrow Springs. You've been my go-to vendor since 1997, and the customer service is phenomenal.

I found Arrow Springs when I was trying to find somebody to fix an 8-month old kiln from a local outfit (S**dance) that blew out with fire and smoke. They wouldn't repair it, said it must have been something I did. I asked a lot of locals artists and was referred to Arrow Springs. Craig rebuilt the whole kiln - wiring, dial, new bead door, new stand - and charged me $25 because I insisted I had to pay him SOMETHING. I've been yours ever since.

Don't forget to let me know when you plan the 'big day' of moving, I'll email the SGB Norcal folks and we'll get a bunch of bodies up there to help!

*sharon*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2012-09-11 at 11:19am.
Old 2012-09-11, 11:36am
da General

Thank you for the post, Donna. You know we will continue to support Arrow Springs! Can't wait to see the new dig!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-09-12, 10:39am
Follow Your Art

That's a great idea Sharon! A big moving day! I'll bring pizza!!

Thanks for posting Donna! It has been a confusing time for Arrow Springs! But they certainly have my business and my heart! I LOVE the new frits and can't live without Craigs tools. We will stand behind you guys whatever it takes till this dumb economy gets back to some sense of "normal". I do appreciate how hard you all at Arrow Springs are working to keep it business as usual for all of us glass lovers! Keep up the good work! We all love you guys!!

Lena
Follow Your Art
Old 2012-09-13, 11:44am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Craig let me test drive his personal Knight Bullet torch in my home for a month to see if I liked the design. When I called in to purchase it they had misplaced the paperwork on it so he gave me the torch at what has to be close to his cost. Free test drive and the best price anywhere. There was no need for that as I wasn't out anything on my end at all, nor had been promised any special price, but he insisted.

They have always put customer service first in any transaction I have seen. Above and beyond in many cases. I am glad to know the move is part of an evolution to keep them on the cutting edge of tools and supplies. Thank you Donna and Craig for putting us first.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-10-06, 10:40am
Ad astra per aspera

Craig & Donna are THE class act, and shining example of customer service. I always knew it, just because, but got an awesome lesson several years ago. I had one of their kilns (purchase through Wale cuz I was on the east coast) and a Bartlett controller. Packed it all up, moved to AZ, and got going again. One afternoon, POOF! My infinite switch burned out and I was dead in the water. I called Arrow Springs, ended up leaving a message with my woes. Craig, himself, called back a few hours later. He walked DH through rewiring to connect directly from my controller to the kiln, and I was back in business! DH was quite impressed by the whole conversation and just how well Craig knew exactly what to do (I kept telling him "of course he does, it's his design!" LOL). Arrow Springs has been my preferred go-to supplier ever since.

I'll be sorry to have to buy my usual glass from someone else, but in many ways I'm thrilled for them to be able to concentrate on the tools they make so very well, and for Donna to be able to come up with more delicious glass colors. {whispering sweet nothings about a true garnet red}

Old 2012-11-07, 5:16pm

I love Arrowsprings. You have been nothing but kind to this new glass junkie. I just purchased some of the new frits and I have to say I can't WAIT to play with them tonight. Kiln is ramping up as I type this. 90 percent of my tools were purchased from you. Your staff is always very helpful as well.