LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-06, 7:16pm

Default Nortel bead liner - crooked lining?

I tried for the first time my Nortel Bead liner tonite. I must say I am disapointed...
Maybe it is me, but on about 12 beads neither me or my boyfriend could line them properly.
At first I went to fast, the tubinc split. Learning curve... ok! but the lining is always crooked! the beads are not. I mean the top and bottom flares are not parralel. They are crooked big time. Did this happen to you? Is it me?
I read that is press was so easy, so fast etc... I just didn't expect this...
but maybe I just need ppp!

I will contact Nortel tomorrow to find out if there is something misaligned with my press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-06, 7:56pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Are you cutting your tubing perfectly straight?
If your tube is cut at an angle, that might cause your coring to become crooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-06, 8:07pm
Dichro Addict

I agree with Ginny. Do you have a photo? It might help if we can actually see what is happening.

Old 2010-10-06, 8:12pm

Hi,
yes, I checked the tubing and it is cut straight. Tought of that.
We (hubby and I) checked and the press does have a misalingment between the black bottom plate and the moving part (one that you take down with the lever) - they are not a 90 degrees...
I will try pics as soon as I can.
thanks!

Old 2010-10-06, 8:31pm
Arrow Springs

Hi Malem - the number for Nortel is 1-416-438-3325 in Canada if you call before 3:30 PM, after that the number is a NY number - 716-852-2685 or PM me with your number and I will have Craig call you for help.

Donna - Arrow Springs
Old 2010-10-06, 10:58pm

Thanks Donna,
this is so kind!
I really appreciate this!
I bought the press directly from Nortel and I am in Canada, so that shouldn't be a problem. The people at Nortel have been so great with service with me, I am sure this will be settled soon. I just tought at first, since I am just beginning lining beads that I was wrong and not good!
But now I think it is something with the press.

Old 2010-10-07, 5:26pm

I will try shiming the bottom to make it perfectly aligned and see how it goes.
Nortel was very helpful and would exchange the press no problem. I will just try to make it is not my inexperience that is the culprid!

Old 2010-10-20, 12:12pm

Well, tried shiming, tried aligning, adjusting etc...
always the same result.
here is a picture (bad one sorry) on wich you can see the way it comes out crooked, and that it flares more on one side than the other. I drew lines on the picture to illustrate what I mean and an arrow on the side more open than the other.

It does the same with or without a bead.

I use aluminum tubing... is that the problem?

Would there be an alternative for a silver colored core without beeing expensive silver but maybe harder than aluminum?

I also use a tube cutter from the hardware store.
I am waiting on replacement parts from Nortel. Should get them today and try tonite, but also want to make sure I am not doing something wrong...

Old 2010-10-20, 12:51pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Are you rotating your bead, then slightly press, then rotate, then slightly press?

Does this make sense?

Old 2010-10-20, 1:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That looks like the press it out of alignment.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-20, 1:24pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Are you rotating your bead, then slightly press, then rotate, then slightly press?

Does this make sense?
This is what I was going to suggest. If that doesn't work, then I think it's the press, like Squid said.

Old 2010-10-20, 3:03pm

when you say "rotate"
do you mean, put bead, press, flip top to bottom the bead so the top becomes the bottom partk? press, flip, press etc? - if yes, I do that, press, flip, press, flip, press...etc

or turn the bead on a horizontal axis on itself? (like an old vinyl record on a turn table)

Old 2010-10-20, 3:10pm
Formerly FishBulb

I think they mean turn it like a vinyl record; press, turn the bead 1/2 turn, press again, turn another 1/4 turn, press again, then another 1/4 turn, press again.

Flip the bead and repeat.

Flip the bead back to its original position and repeat. Etc. Keep doing that until the bead is finished.

I don't do this myself (although I will be starting if the mail service ever gets my silver to me!) but this is what I've read all over the board.

Good luck and I hope you can get it working.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-20, 7:05pm

Nice avatar fishbulb!

I tried rotating like you said to. Same thing.
the minute I press a little it is already crooked, so even if I turn it the damage is done and it keeps going crooked.
I am not able to press little enough to not have it crooked.

Old 2010-10-20, 7:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would insist they replace it - something is not right. But, also check to make sure the insert at the top and bottom are both seated fully.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-20, 7:13pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you Malem!

I'm sorry it still isn't working for you. Do contact them and see if you can exchange it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-20, 11:31pm

They have been very nice and helpful so far.
I will exchange it. It will not be a problem. I just wanted to make sure I was not causing the problem, since this is (those now!) is my first attemps at lining beads.

thanks everyone!

Old 2011-02-16, 9:02pm
Simply Bea

Sheeeeeeshhhhhh.....I should have checked before ordering this tool, I hope it will work for me when it gets here! It's been sheer angst up until now!

It still hasn't arrived after more than 14 working days after I agreed to pay the additional freight for SIX day shipping!
I checked with the Post Office and there is still no sign, the tracking service shows latest info as being in Montreal on 10th Feb..... Supposed to have been shipped out 29th Jan!

If it wasn't for my neck/shoulder injury, I would have just canceled the order when it took them so long to even quote shipping THROUGH a supplier....

/

Last edited by Bea; 2011-02-16 at 9:03pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 2011-02-18, 6:55pm
addicted to dichro

Is it possible that your tubing may be slightly bent? I have had similar problems with some of my sterling silver tubing that came slightly bent. Roll the tube on a table to check.