No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-25, 3:46pm
Learning...

Default Pricing question for wholesale

So, I made a ton of calls to different bead shops and starting tomorrow I am taking my beads to 3 different stores! I did not think this through though, what should I charge them for my beads? 50% off? 65% off? less...more? HELP...I need to have everything priced by tomorrow so I want to get started. I guess I wasn't really thinking anyone would say yes. Eeeek! Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-25, 4:36pm
birdergirl ~o~

Will it be a direct buy or consignment?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-02-25, 5:52pm
Learning...

A direct buy. I don't have time for consignment.

Old 2011-02-25, 6:01pm
Glass-aholic

this is a great question. I would love to hear the answer. (not looking into this now, but good to know)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-02-25, 6:49pm
grama punky - class junky

I sell both on consignment and wholesale. 50% off on wholesale.

Old 2011-02-25, 8:59pm
put a bird on it

50% off retail for wholesale with a minimum purchase amount - whatever makes it worthwhile for you to do the discount. Between $100-$500 might be a good place to start.
Old 2011-02-25, 11:49pm
Redbearmountain

How much are you asking for your beads? Bead stores tell me that handcrafted lampwork beads are not selling like they used to. This is due to the china glass beads which are much cheaper. Bead shops here in Montana don't want to pay over 3.00 a bead because they won't sell. Well I don't know any glass artists who can make beads for under 3.00 a bead. So here anyway it's a tough situation. I hope all goes well with you! Good Luck!

Old 2011-02-26, 12:51am

I don't make beads, but I'd go 50% off for wholesale. That's about what we do for our pendants and little bottles.

Good luck!
Glasskat

Old 2011-02-26, 1:53am

I sell wholesale with 50% off when they reach a $300.00 minimum order. I have never had a problem with them meeting my minimum since that is only about 6 bead sets and it is only costing them $150.00 which is reasonable. Good luck! Let us know how it went.

Old 2011-02-26, 4:19am

When you set a minimum order cost, do you mean minimum order cost of the retail price or wholesale price? For instance, do they choose $300.00 worth at wholesale or $300.00 worth at retail price? If I were setting a $300.00 minimum, I would want them to buy $600.00 in goods and then give the 50% discount with the total amount sold being $300.00.

Is that what you mean by setting a minimum wholesale purchase?
Old 2011-02-26, 6:38am

Minimum $500 retail for 50% off. After that they are wholesale. Works for me

Old 2011-02-26, 8:46am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I sold my uncomplicated focals, in other words, focals that look good but didn't require an hour each at the torch, for $10 each at a local bead store. But the caveat is she wants to pick and choose and I don't sell much, I only sold 12 so I'm rethinking if I want to go that route at all.

Old 2011-03-02, 5:58pm
Learning...

In case any of you come back to read this post. Sorry it took me so long to get back on. I hadn't heard from anyone so I just went with 50% off what I would charge retail. I went to the first shop on Saturday...they bought tons and didn't blink twice at my 50% off price. The shop I went to on Monday bought 3 times more than the one on Saturday! I think what might help also is if you leave the retail price tag on them and then put the 50% off price on it also. It really gives them a sense of a "good deal." And it really is a good deal. I actually feel violated and I did it to myself giving my hard work away for such a low price. But I now have a couple of bead shop customers and they want more. I got orders from them and one of them wants me to teach a class wire wrapping rings. So it all worked out well. Mind you, I called every shop in the state and only 3 said yes. The 3rd on canceled for today. Said business is slow and she has no business buying right now. But thank you all for posting your thoughts...looks like great minds think alike.

Old 2011-03-05, 10:16am
Glass-aholic

I know the feeling! CT is not an easy market at all!!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: