Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-25, 10:11pm
Loving learning

Default Cracks from dropping, or glass incompatibility?

So I tried a pendant from Libby's class, and while I was finishing it I dropped it on my table at least once or twice.

Would that make it crack, or is it more likely that it was the glass?
I think this was striking yellow, striking orange, and grass green (all over white,) and the clear was Super Clear unless I mixed something up.

Old 2013-11-25, 11:53pm
Loving learning

Am I right in thinking a way to figure out if it's glass compatibility that is at fault would be to slump it and see if it holds together or cracks again?
Old 2013-11-26, 4:46am
one day at a time

I think it is because it was dropped. I have had single beads bounce and roll when dropped, but twice that I can remember, I have had this happen - An entire set of beads (11 and 14) all lined up on a mandrel, rolled off and hit the floor. Half of them chipped, and these were the traditional round type. It is the weight of the glass hitting the floor that will cause it to chip. What you have there looks like a large surface chip. How big is the pendant?
Old 2013-11-26, 4:52am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Am I right in thinking a way to figure out if it's glass compatibility that is at fault would be to slump it and see if it holds together or cracks again?
Oh....wait..I'm sorry! This was just the table where it was dropped and not the floor? Big difference there! I would slump it and check on it every so often. I have sample beads with glass and frit combinations that I have had lying around for several years to test for compatibility. So far, no broken ones.
Old 2013-11-26, 5:06am

Aren't greens and yellows "problem" colors for encasing?
Old 2013-11-26, 7:09am
addicted to dichro

You dropped it while you were still making it? Did you heat it up to a molten stage and work with it a while after it was dropped? Dropping it could have caused a fracture that would have spread during the heating and cooling of the annealing process. Yellow and orange CAN be a problem if you encase a large quantity without enough clear layers in there, but I doubt that's why. The cracks really don't look like incompatibility to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-26, 7:18am
Loving learning

Lisi, I think I will fuse it when I have time to babysit the kiln (pottery, no digital controller so I have to do it manually)

Kathy, I'm not sure I've ever used these colors together, so I don't know, but I could try them again & find out.

Mandy, I didn't get it to molten since I was just holding it with a punty or tweezers at the times. I just heated it as best I could, so probably not enough. It did not look cracked, but maybe the stress was there even if I couldn't see it.
Old 2013-11-26, 8:07am
one day at a time

Oh yes, now I remember... Some of the Effetre Special colors don't like to be encased. The oranges and yellows. Is red a problem too??

You might be able to get away with small amounts flower center stamens.
Old 2013-11-26, 1:32pm
Dynamic Duo

Have never had any problem encasing Effetre colors. Have learned that I don't use reds/yellows/oranges as core bead then encase, but will start with a core of clear, 'encase' that with the color, and then can encase them just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-26, 1:38pm
Loving learning

Hmmmm, will have to think on how to do that, thanks.
Old 2013-11-30, 8:03am
Formerly FishBulb

It could be too much of the difficult-to-encase colours combined with the trauma of being dropped; maybe it was already weak due to the colours, and then dropping it just made it give up altogether.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-11-30, 8:17am
Loving learning

I had not thought of that, but it sounds like a good theory.