Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-24, 7:26am

Default Playing with GA Triple Passion

Ok, I am finally starting to get some interesting colors with GA TP. Many thanks to Mr. Smiley for his advice to "fry it until it turns clear and try and keep it clear until you are done."

The piece in the center that looks kind of washed out, looked pretty good going into the kiln. The other pieces that look good, didn't look good going into the kiln. So, I am guessing that piece in the middle was flame struck too long or something. I don't mean to flame strike them so long, but sometimes that ends up happening while I am trying to make the }&*$ loops look decent.

All pieces were garaged at 950 and annealed at 1075.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-03-24, 7:55am

Oh, and the yellow loops on some are because well, a clear rod, and a yellow rod look the same when you are in a hurry. I swear I am going to take that rod off the bench today....

Eric

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-03-24 at 8:10am.
Old 2006-03-24, 8:43am
Nah, not really...;)

OMG! They are awesome!!!
You got some kickass colors! WooHoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-24, 9:30am

Yup Yup Yup!!! Those have lots of color!! Thanks for giving Eric the tip, Brent.. You do know how to bring out the best in boro glass..

Nice pieces, Eric...

Old 2006-03-24, 4:20pm
Serenity Now!

Very nice job Eric! Love the colors!
Val

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-03-24, 9:44pm
Save the Numbats

Looking good.
My brother makes a lot of pendants with triple passion like the one in the lower right - very popular colors.
Whats wrong with a yellow loop? Looks good to me. I never make loops out of clear anymore.
Old 2006-03-24, 10:23pm

I like the yellow loops, too..
Old 2006-03-24, 11:08pm
I'm a lilac!

I love colored loops! Try making your loop out of leftover cane bits, too... purty.

Old 2006-03-25, 6:52am
ManBearPig

Yeah, I usually make my loops out of whatever color my background is. I end up using black for the back of a lot of my pendants, so most of mine have black loops.

Old 2006-03-25, 8:15am

Yeah, I am all for colored loops...when I intend to do it.

I am having a lot of fun and frustration working with the triple passion. It seems that I do the same steps but each pendant is different from the last. I think I have found that multiple frit implosions of TP doesn't intensify the color over say one or two implosions. I am guessing that is because each implosion pushes the first layer deeper into the pendant where it doesn't strike as easily. But, I could be, and probably am wrong on this. I have been backing the pendants with NS Star White Powder or GA Black (Violet).

Here is what I pulled out of the kiln this morning. The one in the upper left corner is an implosion using NS DAP fine frit. The white dot is a stringer of NS Star White that I put there so I would know which one was NS DAP since the rest were GA TP.

Opinions and tips are welcome.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-03-25, 11:29pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

My opinion is send them all over here! You did a great job, I love the colors you got

Old 2006-03-26, 7:21am

Maybe I can put one in the boro box along with some supplies for the exchange.

Eric
Old 2006-03-27, 7:28am
ManBearPig

Try mixing frit colors. I have found that Purple Luster and Triple Passion frit together makes a really nice color. And it's pretty consistent.

Of course, not knowing what you are going to get is the appeal to some people...

Old 2006-03-27, 10:04am

Hi Chad,

I have been using the Triple Passion frit size 25, but I am thinking of getting some of the size 38 as well. What frit size do you usually get for the Purple Luster?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 2006-03-27, 10:17am
ManBearPig

It depends. Right now I have several sizes. For implosions and things like that I use the largest I can find. I find that the larger pieces give a nicer result. The smaller pieces all tend to run together.

Old 2006-03-27, 10:54am
Where Am I?

WOW! The colors are awesome!

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-03-27, 11:42am

Eric, woo hoo! Those are gorgeous. I especially like the one in the bottom right. Okay, I'm inspired again to try to go work those *#&$*# colors! lol

Kristy
Old 2006-03-27, 11:50am

I am still working on doing it faster. I am getting too much striking when I am doing my final shaping and loop. I think I need to use a bigger rod so it doesn't take me so long to shape the lens.

Thanks for the response on the Frit Chad!

Eric
Old 2006-03-27, 1:42pm
ManBearPig

Yeah. I make mine off 14mm rod (I think). And, I do it in steps. Heat a little, marver a little. I probably do that 5 or 6 times. That way the frit stays in shape and doesn't run together. But, that's personal preference. Depends on the look you're going for.

Check out www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials. I have an implosion pendant tutorial on there that shows it better than I can explain it in words.

Old 2006-03-27, 5:49pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Maybe I can put one in the boro box along with some supplies for the exchange.

Eric
Definitely! Please do

Old 2006-03-28, 6:36pm
daughter and I

VERY nice Eric!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-03-29, 4:42am
Old enough to know better

Really nice Eric! Since I'll be getting the borobox before you, I won't be able to get one

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-30, 4:16pm

I like this Pendant, but I can't tell where the color is in the striking order. Is this one at the end of it, or would it benefit by attempting to restrike? I would like to get a little more color. After some intitial successes, I am getting a lot that look like this. I want my vivid purples back! (You can see some of the red-purple that I am shootin for in the section of the pendant that is on upper right.)

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-02, 12:32am
borobucaneer

Find the kilns hot spot, mine is hotter in the rear right hand corner, why? I don't know.But that is where I put my ap stuff...
Old 2006-04-02, 7:34am

Hey Baylie,

So, you think this piece could strike some more then? One of the guys at Glass Alchemy also suggested that I but a fire brick in the kiln to lift the Triple Passion pieces that I want to strike up closer to the thermal couple. He thinks they may not be getting enough heat on the floor. I have tried 1050, 1075, and 1100 because I thought that one of them would get enought heat to floor. I did put a layer of fiber blanket down on top of the fire bricks to keep marbles from rolling out, and I will say that I have no problem at all striking reds.

Eric
Old 2006-04-03, 4:05pm
borobucaneer

Thje guys at GA know more than I do on the subject. But I do agree that elevating them might help. Heat it up and stir it before using it, this seems to help me.