Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-07, 7:27pm

Default Is this normal for NS Extra Light Yellow? (Boro)

Hi,

I have been working with a combination of NS Ruby and NS extra light Yellow (ELY). The ELY seems to be loaded with bubbles regardless of how hot or cool I work it. Is this normal for ELY or did I get a rod from a bad batch. (I can see some bubbles in the rod with my optivisor as well.) I have also noticed this with the transparent violet and lavender colors.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 2006-03-07, 7:37pm
slightly glass obsessed

Default yeah its normal

yeah eric, its pretty normal for the boro translucent colors like light yellow and lavendar to have a bit of bubbles in the rods that don't tend to go away even onced worked in the flame - but they are beautiful colors none the less! I like to think the bubbles add a sparkly look because the break up the light going through the glass.

Anyhow - have fun working with the boro!

-leah
www.leahglass.com
Old 2006-03-07, 8:13pm
boro color bender

Yepers... what she said. It's normal. Just call it "seeded" and it's worth more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-07, 8:23pm
I'm a lilac!

NS Extra Light Yellow is my FAVORITE FAVOVRITE color, and yes, as they say, it's always like that. Some batches more than others.

Old 2006-03-07, 8:29pm
boro color bender

I was just coming back to add that Kalera. I think it might actually be yellow, but I am currently working with a bubble free rod. Like totally bubble free. I was shocked! I like the bubbles in the violet and pink... it has great sparkle. If the bubbles are uniform, I find them appealing. I love the yellows myself. They look awesome in implosions!

One way to check for bubbles in a transparent, is to look at the rods. If it has a satin look, like lines inside, it's going to have bubbles. The bubbles aren't round in rod form. It's been stretched, so they are long and very skinny. When it get's worked again, they go back to round.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-07, 9:35pm

"One way to check for bubbles in a transparent, is to look at the rods. If it has a satin look, like lines inside, it's going to have bubbles. The bubbles aren't round in rod form. It's been stretched, so they are long and very skinny. When it get's worked again, they go back to round."

Now that's a good piece of info... thanks...

Old 2006-03-08, 7:08am
ManBearPig

All the transparent lavendar and pink rods I've ever seen are loaded with bubbles. Not that that's a bad thing. It doesn't seem to make them boil or anything when you work them.

Extra light yellow is a color I've personally never worked with. I do use quite a bit of GA Warm Yellow, and it's got a lot of bubbles in it as well. You don't seem to notice them as much in the finished piece, though...

Old 2006-03-12, 11:28am
In search of her path....

OK ANOTHER EL Yellow question does ANYONE know where I can find it in frit and rod? my local supplier doesnt carry it and the one or two places I find it dont have the frit.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-12, 12:18pm
Nah, not really...;)

Mountain Glass Arts has it in rod, but I don't see it in frit.
I was just there and bought some.

Here is the Northstar rod page:
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...category.55/.f

Old 2006-03-12, 12:45pm
boro color bender

I don't think I've ever seen it in frit. I get plenty of rod... Hmm. Never thought about that.

Old 2006-03-12, 2:32pm
Save the Numbats

I believe glasscraft has it in frit and rod.
Old 2006-03-12, 4:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Much to my sorrow, NS does not make Extra Light Yellow frit in any size.

Old 2006-03-13, 12:06pm
ManBearPig

Get some GA Warm Yellow frit. It's very similar.

Old 2006-03-13, 7:46pm
In search of her path....

I have some warm yellow rod sometimes I find it just TOO yellow....hum....maybe ill have to get some extra light yellow from mountain art and make my own lol got my coffee grinder

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-13, 8:58pm

I just made some NS ELY frit a few minutes ago. Two heavy ziploc bag, a hammer, and a concrete floor works ok. Problem is I know have fine, small, and large frit all in one bag. There might even be some powder in there as well. I tried shaking the bag to separate it and it kind of worked, but I think I need to figure out a better way to separate it.

Eric
Old 2006-03-14, 3:26am
Save the Numbats

Warm Yellow is too saturated, it's not really much like Yellow or Ex. L Yellow. It always ends up turning purple, tan or blue for me. Not much use as an overlay.

I don't know about Ex. L, but I thought they used to have Yellow in frit? On NS's website it lists it as being available in powder but not frit. Blarch.
Old 2006-03-14, 5:47am
Old enough to know better

In another thread, Carrie gives a link to Mountain Glass Arts who has it in large frit or powder: http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...category.64/.f

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-15, 10:52pm
borobucaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
I just made some NS ELY frit a few minutes ago. Two heavy ziploc bag, a hammer, and a concrete floor works ok. Problem is I know have fine, small, and large frit all in one bag. There might even be some powder in there as well. I tried shaking the bag to separate it and it kind of worked, but I think I need to figure out a better way to separate it.

Eric
Please tell me you were wearing a mask.
You can seperate it using different sized sieves