Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-17, 8:16pm
Astro Cat

Default dichro in boro

I was wondering, are there any colors/types of boro that is more forgiving to being overheated or occasionally by mistake getting hit by the flame. I have been making galaxy marbles with reasonable success (still working on no trapped bubbles!). I was wondering as a semi newbie to working in boro, are there any colors that are 'safer' than others to use without having problems with it?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my Scorpion!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-18, 3:56am
Glassmangler

Austin Thin Films makes some high-temp dichro that is amazing as far as ability to withstand heat.
Old 2011-01-18, 7:24am
Pyromaniac

I love Starship Tical and the Rainbow series.
Anything that is high quality such as by CBS (Coatings by Sandberg) or Dichroic Alchemy seems to be very forgiving and have not had any problem with it once I learned the tricks.

Warm the non dichro side a bit and then place it dichro down on your hot but not scorching clear.
Some people warm them in the kiln or warm marver and then use a maria to pick the dichro up.

Coat the edges in clear. It also helps to press it in a little with mashers.
Once it is coated in clear I have never had a problem with it burning.
Twist high in the flame.

I would love to see your galaxies!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-01-18 at 7:36am.
Old 2011-01-18, 7:46am

CBS Blue Gold is a great one to learn on. Very forgiving.

The key is no flame contact with the coating. Always encase first thing. Making sure to go side to side, keeping the flame off the coating at all times. Heat the encasing rod away from the dichro enough, that you can do this. It's all about smooth encasement. So, don't ever stop until you've made a complete stripe across the piece of dichro. You have to encase each time with one, quick motion. It's hard to fix if you don't, without contacting the coating with the flame.

Old 2011-01-18, 9:16am
Formerly Bakerman44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_aIARebmc

that video is the technique i use when prepping dicro. there are 3 videos...it's a good trilogy of boxfan's skills!

Old 2011-01-18, 5:51pm

pm me your address and I will send you a couple of samples of TG Dichro to try
Our Dichro is all made by CBS for Trev's Glass

Old 2011-01-18, 9:55pm
Oh my!

I have some 'scrap' that I bought at CBS and I have to say I can't tell which side has the film and which is the clear. I have tried holding it sideways in the light, truned it over and over. No luck. Got any other ideas?
Old 2011-01-19, 5:37pm
Formerly Bakerman44

to see which side has the dicro you need plenty of light. here is what i do...

put your fingernail to the glass. if there is a gap between your fingernail and the reflection, you're on the uncoated side. if your fingernail touches its reflection, you're touching the coated side.

Old 2011-01-19, 6:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeky clothespin View Post
I have some 'scrap' that I bought at CBS and I have to say I can't tell which side has the film and which is the clear. I have tried holding it sideways in the light, truned it over and over. No luck. Got any other ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
to see which side has the dicro you need plenty of light. here is what i do...

put your fingernail to the glass. if there is a gap between your fingernail and the reflection, you're on the uncoated side. if your fingernail touches its reflection, you're touching the coated side.
I always use a pen or pencil. Anything pointed will do-- I have no fingernails to speak of! lol Place the point of the pen/pencil on the glass and if point meets point in the reflection, that's the dicro coated side. If there is a gap, the dicro is on the other side. (Turn it over and try it again. You will see the point touches the point on the reflection.)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-01-20, 5:46am
Glassmangler

One more plug for the Austin Thin Films hi-temp. You can actually stick the coated side into the flame as well. I watch Moch take a strip of it, shove the whole thing in a Mirage flame and twist it up (uncoated) to make a galaxy marble -- no burnout.

If I hadn't won a dozen sheets of DA dichro, the hi-temp would be all I use.
Old 2011-01-20, 5:56am
Pyromaniac

That is pretty amazing! I would love to try some.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-01-20, 8:27am
ManBearPig

DA Grass Green is almost impossible to burn off. When I teach pendant classes, that's the color I give to students to use.

Old 2011-01-20, 8:36am
Oh my!

DA Grass Green?
Old 2011-01-20, 9:26am
Astro Cat

Thanks for the responses so far. I will try to post pictures of the marbles on the weekend. I had purchased a sample pack of CBS dicro, a strip of maybe a magenta from Frantz (I think it is CBS), and some 'sale' dichro when at CBS. I have had a mixture of luck, and I attribute some of my bad experienced with forgetting to turn the oxy up a little. However I know I burned out some of it. I am tempted to buy more than just a strip of one or two colors and am hesitant because I don't want to spend that much on something that will end up all ashy..

I have definitely burned out a few dichro images.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-01-20, 11:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeky clothespin View Post
DA Grass Green?
Dichroic Alchemy

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-01-20, 11:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
pm me your address and I will send you a couple of samples of TG Dichro to try
Our Dichro is all made by CBS for Trev's Glass
I am a happy user of the Dichroic from Trev's Glass. It is pretty much all I use anymore.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-01-30, 12:54pm
Astro Cat

Sorry it has taken me a while, I am a bit computer limited (my main home computer has the blue screen of death) and I'm being challenged with tranferring pictures to my laptop. Here are a few pictures of my galaxy marbles.
Attached Images

my Scorpion!
Old 2011-01-30, 6:39pm

Oh those are beautiful.

Old 2011-01-30, 6:51pm
Formerly Bakerman44

very nice! i like the huge flakes in the one on the right! what size are those marbles??

Old 2011-01-30, 11:27pm
Astro Cat

The marble with the large flakes is about 1.7" diameter.
The other is at least a little smaller. I don't think I have ever made one larger. I am still trying to learn how to avoid air bubbles. I've got a few nice looking marbles with elongated bubbles
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-01-31, 10:26am
Pyromaniac

That marble with the large flakes is really cool

On another note, I was looking for that Tical dichro and couldn't find it.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-01-31, 1:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post

Did you call Dichroic Alchemy? They have it on the website, or did last week.

Old 2011-02-01, 6:21am
Pyromaniac

You know I was looking on their site - and speaking of their site, somehow it managed to just about slow IE to a crawl on a quad-core 2.5 ghz machine with 8 GB of RAM.. while running fine on Firefox 1 ghz / 1 gb... weird. Anyway, I did find "Starship" but wasn't sure if that was the same as the Tical mentioned. And they don't sell direct anyway, do they?

Old 2011-02-01, 7:58am

I now they used to sell direct, but maybe they have changed that. To be honest, I gave up on dealing with them years ago because I felt they were kind of rude when I talked with them on the phone.

Old 2011-02-01, 8:41am
Glassmangler

Quote:
it managed to just about slow IE to a crawl
IE is a badly-coded security nightmare. Get Chrome or Firefox.
Old 2011-02-02, 6:54am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
while running fine on Firefox 1 ghz / 1 gb...
I only have IE on my gaming box because it has better things to do than surf the intertubules. Like 1080p gaming on my 27" monitor. Browsing is what the other computer's for. Gotta do something while waiting to respawn, right?

That said yeah. Firefox+Adblock+No Script = Win.

I really need to get into using dichro. The bling factor is amazing, I'm just scared I'ma ruin it. Maybe if I get some galaxy mibs under my belt I'll feel better

Old 2011-02-02, 1:46pm
ManBearPig

Quote:

Its full name is Starship Tical. Sometimes it's just listed as "starship".

I know Mountain Glass has it.

Old 2011-02-21, 7:16am
Newb boro fanatic

Quick question... Are the CBS colours named after the 'cooked' colour or the 'raw' colour? I got a dichro sample pack recently, and I know at least one of the pieces is mislabelled (the emerald and aqua pieces are identical, both cooked and raw), and I'm not sure about some of the others too... Like 'green/magenta' looks green/magenta raw, but cooked it looks like it might be salmon. So is this mislabelled salmon, or correctly labelled G/M?

Old 2011-02-26, 6:59am
ManBearPig

From what I've seen, the color names seem to be the finished color, not the raw color.

But, that's just from my experience. I don't have any factual evidence to back that up.

Old 2011-02-26, 8:24am
Melting

This is very helpful. I really want to try dichro in boro. I've tried in soft glass but haven't been too thrilled with the results I've gotten; usually when that happens to me I have pretty good success in boro. Thanks for all the info in the thread!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20