Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-04, 12:45pm

Default Mai Tai

Has anyone gotten more than orange with this encased? I've run thru several kiln sessions, ramped up to 1075 and all that. No pink

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-04, 2:27pm

Try even hotter and/or longer? The ones I did went to 1150 for about 45 minutes but were unencased. For encased I'd try a crazy long soak at 1150, maybe 2 hours. I did a couple encased Mai Tai beads as testers and they were pretty light orange after 45 minutes and I haven't tried it again yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-04, 5:08pm

my favs are mai tai 419 & 420
Old 2011-05-04, 11:25pm
He can do the origami

Rose, I kiln strike it at 1150, I have found that I get some amazing color at a two hour soak at 1150. one hour was just not getting the color I needed.... however one hour is generally good enough for Mega Mai Tai unless you want it so purple it is almost black!! lol that stuff is amazing. I will try and post a pic here for you later.
Old 2011-05-04, 11:35pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I've put my Mai Tai heart through some more annealing cycles, since it was still pretty red. Now, after about 4 hours in total at 1150 - 1180, it has such much more colors, but not yet the screaming pink. I'll make a new pic of that bead soon. It is very pretty, but the encased parts are still quite red. They didn't get much more color through annealing but red.

This was after 1 hour at 1150:

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-05, 6:05am

Thanks guys and gals! I have the Mega Mai Tai, too and that stuff strikes easily, and dark like Otter said. I'll have to try the hotter striking. I hate to ramp my kiln up that high for little spacer test beads so I guess I'll have to make something more worthwhile, lol. Anouk, that color you got looks like it's in the same color range I get but mine's lighter. I want pink, dammit!

Old 2011-05-05, 8:33am

It's on sale right now. Scroll down this link:
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....eyword=mai+tai

Old 2011-05-05, 9:04am

Since this behaves like AP, you might want to vary how you're handling it in the flame.

The AP family really likes a long hot working in the flame, then a quick cool to no glow, then kiln striking.

I've ordered some but it won't be here until next week to try, but you might want to try a couple with a thorough heating to white hot in the flame.
Old 2011-05-05, 1:49pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Since this behaves like AP, you might want to vary how you're handling it in the flame.

The AP family really likes a long hot working in the flame, then a quick cool to no glow, then kiln striking.

I've ordered some but it won't be here until next week to try, but you might want to try a couple with a thorough heating to white hot in the flame.
What she said ^^^^^^^

You may already be doing this, but once you have it white hot, keep it there in that white hot state for a while.
It helps to develop the color. Something about crystal formation?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-05-06 at 7:48am. Reason: typo
Old 2011-05-05, 7:37pm

What color are you guys Mai Tai rods? What I got last year is shimmery clear and what I just got today is shimmery pink. Just wondering what color your rods are?

Old 2011-05-05, 9:04pm

Thanks gals. I DO keep it in the flame for quite awhile. I wonder if rods react differently. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I will in the next day or so.

If I remember right, my rods are a seedy clear. Or on the clear side but somewhat cloudy.......

Old 2011-05-05, 9:09pm

FWIW ... I've found that it plays differently between working it on my oxycon and working it from tanked.

Tanked gets me better color, faster.

Old 2011-05-05, 10:29pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I'm on 2 oxycons and a bobcat. I'll try again today and keep it white hot for a while, will let you know what happens .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-06, 7:46am
Pyromaniac

Anouk, I had good luck with A/P colors on 2 5 LPM oxycons & my Lynx, so you're probably ok on the Bobcat too. From your pictures you have enough oxygen as well (no visible haze). You don't have to get the gather soupy as long as the color encasement gets hot hot hot and stays there for a while. Of course, if you're encasing white it will soak through and get floppy rather fast.

Now let's see some pictures. =) I'm living vicariously through you people darn it!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-05-06 at 7:49am.
Old 2011-05-06, 7:58am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I think ( wild guess) that you need that bit of haze to make it pink instead of dark orange. The haze itself is blue-ish, and that color over orange makes pink ( take soft glass Clio for example, that reduces blue-ish, but turns fuchsia over a red or orange background)

But maybe I am talking poop here.

Old 2011-05-06, 9:48am

YES! What Suzanne said. Paul suggested you work a little reduction in, or lightly reduce before you encase/implode it.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-05-06, 10:20am
Gimme that silver glass!

I've got a new heart in the kiln now, for it's first strike cycle. It's on top op white, but didn't give any reduction to it. I also made a heart out of a TAG orange, clear and AP (Northstar) on top. It's also in the kiln, but was already a pretty orange/pink in the flame .

Chris, thanks for the info! I will surely let you know and post some pics .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-06, 9:54pm
He can do the origami

If you work a little extra reduction here and there, you will get some beautiful blues mixed in with pinks. This goes for Mega Mai Tai as well, leave some haze and you will get beautiful blue, contrasted with deeeeeeep purple.

Also.... You really do need to heat this in the flame as well but not quite as hot as regular AP.
Old 2011-05-07, 12:32am
Gimme that silver glass!

The AP heart is quite pretty in my opinion, lol . I put the Mai Tai heart in the kiln for it's 3rd striking cycle, it was quite pretty but still a bit orange at some places, I'm trying out how far I can go with this color .

Gonna try some more today, man the dark side is addicting !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-07, 4:52am
Pyromaniac

I can't wait to see! Do you have any pics?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-05-07, 5:43am
Gimme that silver glass!

Yay, it's PINK! I really love this color, TAG thank you .

Today or tomorrow I'll take care of the pics!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-07, 11:05am

so is it a lot easyer to get the pinks when it's not incased?
Thanks,
G.
Old 2011-05-07, 12:35pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I get the pinks unencased, yes.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-07, 1:22pm
Astro Cat

Yay! I can't wait to see the pinks you got!

TAG did seriously good with these Mai Tai colors. I was so thrilled with my beads in Mai Tai pink and double Mai Tai from the boro box of goodness that I ordered more and already am hoarding it.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-05-07, 1:42pm

What are the details of your kiln strike? How long and what temp?
Old 2011-05-07, 2:05pm

There is some info in here Larry.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194146

Old 2011-05-07, 2:50pm

Thanks. Missed it first time around. I have a couple of rods of the regular and a couple of the experimentals as well. I will try to kiln strike the regular in this way. Beautiful work by the way.
Old 2011-05-10, 2:17am
He can do the origami

I posted part of this in the boro S&T but wanted to post this one here as well:

Here is a detail pic of the top and wings of a sculptural piece. The wings are Mai Tai Pink and the body is double amber purple. After I kiln struck the wings, I hit them with the torch and took some of the striking out of the tips of the wings because I wanted some visual "texture". The wings were completely pink after an annealing cycle of two hours at 1150 degrees.

Just FYI the Mai Tai Pink is much easier to strike than most other amber purple colors I have used. Also, it is easier to burn the haze off and it seems to stay off. You do still have to set the Mai Tai Pink up with quite a bit of heat but not as much as other AP's.

Last edited by Otter's Flame; 2011-05-10 at 2:19am.
Old 2011-05-10, 5:48am

Otter those wings are awesome. I love how it went back to yellow!!! More things to try.

As a newbie I stupidly never had problems getting color out of my AP ... guess I have the habit of cooking the crap out of my glass. But I love how user friendly Mai Tai Pink is. Never thought to put it back in the flame after kiln striking.

Thanks for the great tip and awesoem pic.

Old 2011-05-10, 6:02am
Hobby Junkie

Gorgeous piece Otter!!!

I can't wait to try MaiTai. I love the amber purples.