LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-06-01, 7:17pm
Entropy increasing....

Pull, push - I think you can say either. I just used a pointy thing and grabbed and edge of the mesh and moved it to make it tighter on the glass so the glass smooshed out the holes.

Maybe I'll get my DH to take a picture or two while I do it.
Old 2008-06-01, 8:23pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thank you so much Astrid!!!! I am off to Michael's in the morning to get some of that mesh to try your technique!!! By the way thank you too Kevan for letting us know where to get it!!!! I will be so anxious to see if my beads turn out anything like Astrid and Kevan's. Please say a prayer I don't botch it up!!!
Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2008-06-01, 10:19pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Pull, push - I think you can say either. I just used a pointy thing and grabbed and edge of the mesh and moved it to make it tighter on the glass so the glass smooshed out the holes.

Cool Kevan....and yes please to the pics.
Old 2008-06-02, 1:23am
><>

Quote:
Oops I posted this and it didn't show up. I must have hit preview.

Wow, nice blobbies.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2008-06-02, 2:27am
See my quote!!

Kevan, love that bead!!

After getting together with Astrid over the weekend and bouncing around some ideas, I finally got to playing late yesterday. I love it!!

Thanks for looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-02, 5:09am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Kevan, That is great, you did it! Yes the bead is somewhat lobsided when just tug and pull but at the end all falls back into place!

Sherry, it will be great to see how you do it, and see how close we got to doing the same! Before the publication hits the shops in S.A will be a while I suppose?

I have some cooking in the oven so 2morrow I will have some more to show!

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2008-06-02, 5:12am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Hi Michelle, just missed your posting, Wow,wow,wow, beautiful. You know the best is we all make something totaly different with a simmilar technique, very exciting.

Lets see some more.....

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2008-06-02, 6:28am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
For those who are still having difficulty with this technique, I will be publishing a tutorial on it, with photographs. Just not sure of the publication date.....I'll keep you posted!
I'll exubertantly purchase it!! Think it'll work on truly small beads?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-06-02, 6:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyD View Post
Kevan, love that bead!!

After getting together with Astrid over the weekend and bouncing around some ideas, I finally got to playing late yesterday. I love it!!

Thanks for looking.
WOW this bead is just too wonderful!! Oh and I am so jealous that you and Astrid got to play together. LOL
Old 2008-06-02, 7:15am

Quote:

Gotcha!!! When yall were saying pull I was thinking you were pulling the copper mesh away from the bead and I just couldn't imagine how that would work!! lol
Now it the dang mail would bring my copper I could try it.

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-06-02, 7:41am
Crazy Snake Lady

Well here's my sad attempt. I used too much glass on the base so when I pulled the mesh it completely deformed the bead so it ended up 'freeform'...

Also I definitely need bigger mesh - the holes in this were so small it was really hard to get the glass to squeeze through!

Old 2008-06-02, 8:09am

Kevan, Michelle and Laurie - great beads.
Laurie - I think that looks really cool!!!

Amy

Old 2008-06-02, 8:27am
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
WOW this bead is just too wonderful!! Oh and I am so jealous that you and Astrid got to play together. LOL
Ooh Carmen, we must organise a play date. We're not to far from each other. Just say when.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and a BIG thanks for sharing.

Cannot wait for Sherry's tut to hit the shelves.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-02, 8:28am
See my quote!!

Laurie, that's a fantastic bead!!

Old 2008-06-02, 9:55am
just plain silly

Everyone's beads are fabulous!!!! I am going to have to get the bigger mesh also because mine is too small to squish an adequate amount out before it goes out of control. Anyone that has gotten this to work - What size holes does your mesh have? Thanks!

Suzanne
Old 2008-06-02, 10:53am
Born Facing Left

I have a gallery on my website that has lots of example of "Chaos" beads, it's here:

http://www.orcabeads.com/Lentils1/

Most of these are done with mesh with about 1/8 inch openings. There's one bead in the row that's made with smaller openings, it's called "copperchaos", I think it's about the middle of the row. The effect is quite different, more spikey and detailed. The smaller mesh is much more challenging to use, but I like it for tiny beads. When I first started teaching this technique , I was only using the small mesh, but now I mostly use the 1/8 stuff.

(Also, the small mesh that I first used was window screen made of copper, and it frayed horribly, often leaving little sharp bits sticking out of the bead. Not good, lol. The mesh that I now use is fused together, but the raw edges can still be nasty.)

Old 2008-06-02, 11:12am

Sherry are you teaching in the States at all this year?
Old 2008-06-02, 11:17am
Gimme that silver glass!

I just love this technique you invented Sherry!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-06-02, 11:23am
Entropy increasing....

It's pretty hard not go with a free form bead when you do this, the bead gets all out of shape when you push and pull the mesh around. Then you don't want to marver the clear part very much or you flatten the blobbies.
Old 2008-06-02, 12:43pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
I just love this technique you invented Sherry!
Thanks, Anouk, I love what you're doing with it!

Old 2008-06-02, 12:50pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
It's pretty hard not go with a free form bead when you do this, the bead gets all out of shape when you push and pull the mesh around. Then you don't want to marver the clear part very much or you flatten the blobbies.
Well.....my finished beads aren't freeform, but they take a great deal of careful work to end up with a symmetrical form. A large Chaos bead takes me a minimum of an hour to make, often much longer. There are specific steps, (done in a specific order) to take to ensure a good result, that's one reason that the tutorial is taking me longer than expected. Lots of photographs are involved, LOL.

Old 2008-06-02, 9:03pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Well.....my finished beads aren't freeform, but they take a great deal of careful work to end up with a symmetrical form. A large Chaos bead takes me a minimum of an hour to make, often much longer. There are specific steps, (done in a specific order) to take to ensure a good result, that's one reason that the tutorial is taking me longer than expected. Lots of photographs are involved, LOL.
I can't wait to see it, Sherry. I did make a lentil tonight. It's a great technique and you are very cleaver to have come up with it! And to share your knowledge. Your lentils are really fabulous!!!

I did learn that dark colors don't really work that well. lol

Anouk, that is lovely.

Last edited by Kevan; 2008-06-02 at 9:05pm.
Old 2008-06-02, 9:59pm
Burn baby, burn

Default trials and errors - all Bullseye

Everybody, thanks so much for working this out - I've been following along and trying all the different things too. Here are three where I finally think it worked, but with flaws included (I learned from them, I swear! )

I found that sticking the mesh in the side of the molten blob, and then bringing it over the blob and stretching over/while pulling down/and squeezing back around the other side worked best for me, and THEN putting the blob of clear on top.

This one had fantastic, longer fingery bits, but I put too much of a clear blob on top, and was afraid of melting the fingery bits out, so it turned out okay, but I'm pretty sure those are thermal shocks running through it from letting the core get too cold.

Then I did the next one and felt really pleased, but then my clear blob was too hot when I smooshed it over it and it smooshed out the crispness of the blobbies.

Then this last one was okay, but I didn't get as good definition, and, of course, I didn't get a good picture as I was chasing the sun down the sky trying to photograph. Still, I like the bead.
Old 2008-06-02, 10:28pm
I know, I can't spell

Wow, these are all so amazing, I so want to get the tutorial when it comes out.

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-06-02, 10:59pm

Hi Sherry! Just want to say how much I love your beads!!!!! I always recognize your beads, they definitely stand out as your beads! You do an incredible job...... keep up the wonderful work!

Andrea

Old 2008-06-02, 11:15pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotter View Post
Hi Sherry! Just want to say how much I love your beads!!!!! I always recognize your beads, they definitely stand out as your beads! You do an incredible job...... keep up the wonderful work!

Andrea
I love the bubbles she puts in them. Too, too cool.
Old 2008-06-03, 9:02am

Kevan, thanks for the source. In the meantime, I ordered some from Dick Blick for what I thought was a great price (of course the shipping is a different matter). Everyone's beads look fantastic, and I can't wait to give it a try. But a special thanks goes to Sherry for creating this fabulous style in the first place! The information here will be very helpful, but I also am anxious for Sherry's tutorial for all the "inside" scoop. Thank you to everyone!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2008-06-03, 10:07am
Entropy increasing....

I think I like making amorphous shapes, I haven't really done that before. lol

I'm sort of happy with these.

These are two fat 20mm lentils. The second one is my favorite so far.

And this one I call "Homage to Sherry" This is really hard to get this shape, It's a big flat lentil. I thought so anyway, she makes it look easy.

Old 2008-06-03, 10:12am
just plain silly

Sherry, your beads are beyond amazing and real works of art. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and methods.

I am always amazed at how the artists in this forum are so willing to share, support and help one another unselfishly. It makes me all warm and fuzzy

Suzanne
Old 2008-06-03, 10:19am
just plain silly

Kevan, those beads came out really cool. How were you able to shape them without smooshing the design inside? Haha...Mine come out wonky or crushed up looking. I need to get me some patience!

Suzanne