Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-04, 6:56pm
Bernhard Riegler

Default mixing metal with glass

I would like to make some doorknobs and for this I would need to embed a metal fitting with a thread. Is it possible and are there any tricks to do this? I have tried it before, but sadly it cracked. Is any special metal better/easier than others? Any feedback is greatly appreciated - best regards - Bernhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Onekura; 2014-10-04 at 8:33pm.
Old 2014-10-04, 8:14pm

You might find some help in this old thread:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ight=doorknobs

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-10-04, 8:32pm
Bernhard Riegler

Just to show, what I would like to implant into the glass orb. Is that possible?
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-05, 4:59am
DaveK

I tried to encase a brass screw in a marble, just for grins, the heat required to shape the marble deformed the brass screw quit a bit. I would think you would have better luck with stainless steel. The old style of doorknob, with the 1/4 inch square shaft would probably work better.

You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2014-10-05 at 5:05am.
Old 2014-10-05, 3:20pm
Borovangelist

These have the glass glued into the metal back piece.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1533541..._home_active_3

|
|
Old 2014-10-05, 3:55pm

LOL! Keep an eye on your stuff. Good one Tom.
I haven't made anything as big as a doorknob, but for cabinet knobs I'll either make them on a mandrel and epoxy an insert, or make a cabochon and epoxy that. Depends on the hardware. I just don't trust metal to glass...heard some sad stories.

Old 2014-10-05, 5:35pm
Bernhard Riegler

well, it didn't work for me - cracked - and I don't even want to do the big ones, only for cupboards. So the threaded piece would be for a 4-6mm thread - no more. Every time I mix glass with metal it cracks. Maybe glue is the only way? Thank you for your comments

Old 2014-10-05, 6:04pm

Bernhard, maybe something like this if you're using marbles? I buy from here but I don't know if they ship to NZ.
http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/knobbase.html
Personally, I think epoxy is the way to go. I know some people have used the inserts in glass with no problems with soft glass, but that's the kind of crap that keeps me up at night. lol

Old 2014-10-05, 7:04pm
DaveK

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
I would like to make some doorknobs...
Oookay then.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-05, 8:52pm
Borovangelist

Epoxy is pretty much the best and easiest way. If you're really that concerned about the aesthetics of it, put a circle of felt on the back. Any spillage can typically be scraped off with a utility blade.

One other option you can consider: Years ago someone had posted on here that they were making knobs with the hole clean through them. You could put a long screw all the way through from the front and then use a nut on the end of the screw inside the drawer/cabinet. It was essentially a large shaped bead.

|
|