Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-03-25, 4:36pm

Default Flame photos

I am selling a torch and have a request for pictures of the candles. I tried and only get bright flame without being able to see the candles. Does anyone know how to take pictures of the candles so they show in the photos?

Thanks for the help.
Old 2013-03-25, 4:42pm
I fart diamonds

That's about all you'll get without a really good camera. Just take a clear picture of the torch running and most will be satisfied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-25, 4:50pm
sorcerer

hold the lens of a non prescription pair of didymium glasses over the camera lens

Old 2013-03-25, 5:45pm
I fart diamonds

Didymium still won't show the candles. It takes a good camera with a good lens to get candle definition.

Old 2013-03-26, 12:48pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Didymium still won't show the candles. It takes a good camera with a good lens to get candle definition.
I also wanted to take a pic of my candles, about a month or so ago. I tried the Diddy's using my iPhone 4s and it didn't work, as expected. My good 35mm SLR was on loan at the time so didn't get to test it. I'm going to try with it now that I have it back. Thanks for bringing this subject up again, Cheryl.

-BEP
Old 2013-03-26, 1:14pm

There's always Photoshop...
it wouldn't be dishonest if you made it really look like your torch's performance and told the buyer what you were doing.
Old 2013-03-26, 2:12pm
Loving learning

Were you using your flash? Did you try with it turned off?
Old 2013-03-26, 5:52pm

Put your camera on a tripod and your torch solidly mounted. Take a shot with the flame on and one with it off. Combine the images. There is HDR software that will merge the two images and some have a 30 day demo period. I've used software like this to combine multiple images together, particularly when I've had areas of bright sunlight and dark shadows, I'll take a picture metered for the bright light then metered for the shadows and sometimes a couple of shots metered in between then combine them. It works great for star photography as well. If you can this is a very good way of taking pictures of things like this.

Mike
Old 2013-03-27, 6:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Add lots of ambient light, so surrounds are as bright as the candles.... Camera will not see candles as the brightest portion it views...

This is what movie studios do to make flames more detailed and not just a bright orange spot on film.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-03-28, 8:45am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Add lots of ambient light, so surrounds are as bright as the candles.... Camera will not see candles as the brightest portion it views...

This is what movie studios do to make flames more detailed and not just a bright orange spot on film.....

Dale
That's a great idea! I'll have to try it later.

Old 2013-04-05, 7:31pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post

Dale
Brilliant! I didn't even use my "good" camera (or didymium)! You rock, Dale!