Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-04-25, 9:54pm
Formerly Fancypants

Default Cork Flooring

Hi everyone, I haven't been here for awhile now, with moving and getting a studio going for my beads and glass. Has anyone used cork flooring? Does anyone know if cork flooring would be good to use in my studio. My DH purchased an office trailer, which is just about ready except for some extras, more lighting and venting and so on. This is really cool because it has wrap around windows at both ends, one end for my bead work the other end I will be using for doing my stained glass. He wanted me to ask your thoughts on cork flooring.
Thanks all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-26, 1:23am
Alaska Boro

IMO cork + 1500 F glass = smoke and perhaps fire. At least one will be able to see where that hot piece of glass landed!

For safety reasons consider flooring that will not melt or burn.
Old 2012-04-26, 7:32am
All Zeke, all the time

cork is known for its fire resistance and has been used in various forms for spacecraft heat shields. It is also known for its acoustic and thermal insulation properties. I would think it would make a great flooring material for your studio. Also would be great on the feet by keeping a nice temperature especially in PA and comfy and soft to walk on. Also, if you drop something, the cork may help cushion the fall and prevent breakage.
Old 2012-04-26, 7:46am

I think it would be really nice to stand on.
Old 2012-04-26, 8:09am

It is really nice stand on and it keeps relativerly warm. We have in our kitchen and bathroom, right on top of a concrete floor.
Old 2012-04-26, 8:31am

Cork may not ignite, but any glass dropped will likely leave permanent black scorch marks.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:44am
Sam I Am

I was thinking about cork for the Studio So I went to the flooring place and got samples. took them to the studio and heated up some glass rods and laid them on the cork (in the hood) glowing red hot to just plain old dropped it on the floor hot rods on the cork It smoked quite a bit didn't smell to great either and then there was a large black mark. The bamboo flooring actually caught fire. the Pergo laminated smoked and stunk and left a scorch mark.
Could you do Cork for the majority but something less flamable/stinky around the “drop area?
The old studio I worked in had carpet -talk about toxic smoke
My new studio has concrete and if you drop a rod it breaks for sure but nothing sticks or burns.

I suggest you do your own testing of materials most flooring stores will give you sample pieces.
Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dream Fire; 2012-04-26 at 11:45am. Reason: spelling at least what I caught
Old 2012-04-26, 1:42pm
Formerly Fancypants

I don't have my equipment unpacked yet and am no way of checking different samples, cement flooring is not an option being it was an office trailer and we want to keep the wheels on it for tax reasons.. I think my DH is trying to keep me safe by using cork, guess someone had mentioned it to him. Must not have been someone using a torch to melt glass for bead work. From what I have read so far, I sure don't want to smell anything melting from a piece of hot glass, and smoking. Gee this is a fix, I am wondering if he is thinking of putting it on my work bench, he isn't here to ask right now, oh no he mentioned putting aluminum on that. Is there something that can be rolled and attached down to the floor. I don't need anything fancy, it's just going to be my back yard studio. I am thinking if some kind of cork is used and pieces of glass would break, like an exploding bead that did happen to me and it landed in my bra, big time ouch and scar anyway wouldn't the pieces of glass stick into the cork, now I am wondering if that is even a good idea.
He wants to get me up and started. I can't wait too, this (studio) is going to be so nice when it is completed. I still have stuff glass and supplies still in Ohio, stained glass and supplies in a storage shed, glass rods and equipment in an extra room up stairs and stuff stored in my basement, I need to get all this stuff brought together so I can start beading and stained glassing again.
Anyone who wants to put in any suggestions about anything here would very well be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Old 2012-04-26, 10:35pm
Loving learning

Could you use tile? I just have painted wood in mine (easy to sweep up bits of glass), but large size ceramic tile in the "drop zone" would be nice I think.
Old 2012-04-27, 1:42am
Alaska Boro

Cement board comes in sheets. Perhaps two sheets where you work. And then where the chair rolls place some 12 x 12 inch tile to prevent the chair from grinding into the cement board. Grout would not even be necessary as the tiles could be placed next to each other without spacing. Thus it would be easy to take apart and move. The tiles could be left loose but could cause issues with sliding around.

Lowe's has some 12 x 12 ceramic tile for 76 cents each or try the repo store for something less costly. Maybe even some discounted styles that are end of the run or leftovers at a flooring store. Or free on Graig's List.
Old 2012-04-27, 6:24am
Formerly Fancypants

I thought about the tiles also, but didn't know if hot glass might melt it. But the tile ideas sound pretty good, and never thought about the odds and ends, and the look would be cool looking with the different colors too.
I knew I could get some good ideas from you guys, you are so much more knowledgeable in all this then me with getting my new studio organized.
I had an old kitchen at my other place and now with my own outside place, I need all the good ideas I can get. My DH already has the exhaust up over one of my work benches, it's not connected outside yet but will be. He has the lighting in on the ceiling so things are coming along. When it is completed I have to post pictures.
We are going this evening to see what all will be going up for auction this weekend. It is an online auction. All the stuff there came from a school, they replaced everything with new stuff. I am looking for their office items for storage and maybe my glass rod storage. One of the things I am hoping to find is a mail slot for the glass rods to rest in.

Old 2012-04-27, 4:28pm
Sam I Am

Back to the most flooring stores... will give you samples. They will also give you tile samples. I like your idea of the different tiles sound cute and interesting. When we build outr house I had enough sample of tile to do a small bathroom and when I tried to give them back they said no keep them they are samples.
The hardy board- cement board works too we have it along the walls by the kilns.
I hope you find some great things at the auction- I want one of those school kitchen sinks someday.
Happy studio
Sam

Old 2012-05-15, 7:56pm

My DH got a roll of something called a shop mat at Sam's club. It is designed for the floor in garages. It resists hot stuff, chemical spills, oils, you name it. Hot glass doesn't phase it in the least. Washes easy. It was not expensive at all. He cut it to fit the space and the extra piece is in the sink area. It's a lot more comfortable to walk on than the cement floor, summer or winter.

Andrea
Old 2012-05-21, 3:14am
All Zeke, all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
My DH got a roll of something called a shop mat at Sam's club. It is designed for the floor in garages. It resists hot stuff, chemical spills, oils, you name it. Hot glass doesn't phase it in the least. Washes easy. It was not expensive at all. He cut it to fit the space and the extra piece is in the sink area. It's a lot more comfortable to walk on than the cement floor, summer or winter.

Andrea
More info on this product please!! Pics or a product name would be very cool!! Thanks
Old 2012-05-21, 3:38am

I think tile would be great or some other smooth surface, I am thinking of the ease of sweeping up the glassy shards and bits and pieces that pop off. Hot glass wouldn't bother it either. I wouldn't want anything that might hide or hold slivers of glass.

Kym
Old 2012-06-20, 4:48am

Default put in the floor you want, while protecting the area in which you work

Not sure how large your studio is, but I'm on the verge of buying a shed and outfitting it. when I thought about flooring I wanted something nice - cork, tile, laminate. Considering that where my torches are is one small area what I've decided to do is to put in the flooring that I want but under my chair and table I'll top the flooring with a couple of steel sheets for dropped rods and such. This will designate an area specifically for the torches and keep my shedio (HA love that term, thanks Pat!) from burning down or the floor from being destroyed. Also gives a good sweep surface. I will nail it down (easy removal if needed) and if that gets marked up - add another layer. I'll have the look and feel that I want in the studio, without compromising safety. Hope this helps.

Last edited by aqueous; 2012-06-20 at 4:50am. Reason: kudos to Pat on the shedio term - too cute!
Old 2012-06-20, 4:57am
old fart

ceramic tile