Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2022-05-24, 7:34pm
Sam I Am

Today's progress: They got my in-take set in today. Look like rocket jets. There will be an elbow pointing down to keep rain out. Structurally because these are deep in the foundation & penetrate the foundation they need to have rebar & concrete support. We had to go with 3, 6"(interior diameter) pipes to get to the intake size I needed. Actually 18 is more than i need but there are some bends. 16 would have worked. My exhaust is 14".
I think it looks cool. I'm going to plant mint below the intake. Probably won't actually smell it but it would be nice.

The Plumbers had to move all their work because they read the plans wrong ...glad I caught it.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2022-05-25, 9:10pm
Slogan Challenged...

exciting!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2022-05-26, 3:33pm
Sam I Am

Next boring yet exciting photo.
The sleeves for the propane & O2 lines. No more tripping over the speed bump ( see post 14 in this thread). The speed bump is a cover over the gas lines in the current studio.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dream Fire; 2022-05-26 at 3:37pm.
Old 2022-05-27, 3:22pm
Sam I Am

More boring. But a good foundation is important.
Vapor barrier & some rebar in. It was ridiculously hot. With the black vapor barrier & the hot metal, the crew went home early.
Attached Images

Old 2022-06-01, 9:08am
Sam I Am

Still at the boring but very important stage. The foundation. They will have to come back & correct more mistakes. They forgot the curbs for the 2 porches. The structural engineer inspector did not like some of the rebar ,so that's a redo for them. My builders answer is don't worry these mistakes will be corrected at no cost to you. Of course they will, but it's really bugging me that both the plumber & the foundation crew have made some pretty obvious mistakes . If the foundation was poured today anything dropped at the back would roll to the front. Inspector used a water level to check it.
They are out there now working on fixing everything....except the framers inspected & say the pipes are still not right. They need to move them in from the edge.
I'm trying to visualize the beautiful finished studio instead of getting to worked up about the idiocy happening out there.
Attached Images

Old 2022-06-01, 12:23pm

It'll happen Sam, but it won't happen without birthing pains. Keep up your spirits.
Old 2022-06-22, 9:35am
Sam I Am

Slow progress. Waiting on the joists. There are a few walls up & some shething. It's been so ridiculously hot( 100 plus days) I don't know how they have done as much as they have. Half of the studio will have nice morning shade. The June 22 photo shows the south facing porch.
There is always a nice breeze.
Attached Images

Old 2022-06-22, 4:15pm
Loving learning

Progress!
Will the windows be energy saving ones? Maybe cut down on hour heating/cooling bills.

It is going to be so nice for you to have it right there when finished!
Old 2022-06-23, 9:55pm
Slogan Challenged...

that would worry me too. I hope they are licensed and insured.
Glad you are keeping an eye.
Soon soon!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2022-07-02, 2:30pm
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Progress!
Will the windows be energy saving ones? Maybe cut down on hour heating/cooling bills.

It is going to be so nice for you to have it right there when finished!
Yes the windows are energy saving & we are going with the foam insulation walls ceiling everywhere. It will be very insulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
that would worry me too. I hope they are licensed and insured.
Glad you are keeping an eye.
Soon soon!
Yes licensed & insured, hubby a stickler for insurance. Workman's comp etc.

Speaking of mistakes.... the boss man ordered the wrong trusses. Seriously he needs to pay attention. Most of the mistakes are because people are not looking at the actual plans. The scissor trusses go south to north which is 36 with the porch or 30 without the porch. He ordered the east west length 28 ft.
Now there's another reason. They can't make 36 ft scissor trusses to long a spanse to hold the load. I have the work around. Do the 30 ft trusses add the porch roof shed style. I like that look better anyway. 30 ft trusses are ordered & should be here in another week.
I know not good technical info but part of building a studio from the ground up.
Yes I am watching everything they do. The framers are doing a great job.

Old 2022-07-02, 2:36pm
Sam I Am

Progress.
Attached Images

Old 2022-07-22, 3:25pm
Sam I Am

Things are moving along and it's starting to look like something.
Attached Images

Old 2022-07-22, 3:42pm
Sam I Am

More from today
Attached Images

Old 2022-07-23, 10:08am
Dazed and Confused

Congrats Sam, looking good!
Old 2022-08-06, 9:45am
Sam I Am

Progress
Roof is on. Hardy board siding will be painted.
Figuring out the torch table placement. That little " table "is covering the intake tubes & sleeves for the propane & O2. Trying to protect them until constris done.
Blue tape is the outline of the table.
Attached Images

Old 2022-08-06, 6:03pm

Coming along very nicely
Old 2022-08-08, 12:56pm

Sam, when you were designing the ventilation, did you get input from a HVAC person? I've talked to a young man who's interested in my small system, but wants to install electricity to the intake duct work, making it a forced air system. He's under the assumption (assertion?) that if we don't electrify the intake, the exhaust will pull all the conditioned air out of the room before it starts pulling from the air intake right under the hood. I had never heard/read of this issue before. What do you think?
Old 2022-08-09, 3:17pm
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Sam, when you were designing the ventilation, did you get input from a HVAC person? I've talked to a young man who's interested in my small system, but wants to install electricity to the intake duct work, making it a forced air system. He's under the assumption (assertion?) that if we don't electrify the intake, the exhaust will pull all the conditioned air out of the room before it starts pulling from the air intake right under the hood. I had never heard/read of this issue before. What do you think?
Sent PM
It's a new code thing since my last one. At least here in the city. He is certainly right about pulling all the air from the room but not too sure I agree that the intake is not also contributing.

Thats the problem all studios have with keeping the conditioned air in. Most of us are just to cheap or broke to pay up front & end up paying in trying to keep warm or cool.

Yes I am using 2 HVAC companies on this studio. I designed & they double checked. They are installing everything.

Old 2022-08-09, 5:10pm

Thanks for the input
Old 2022-11-16, 8:03pm
Sam I Am

It's a slow process but it looks like something now.
I'll post more when the technical stuff starts happening.
Attached Images

Old 2022-11-17, 7:06am

very nice! looking great!
Old 2022-11-17, 2:18pm

Sam, that green is going to be perfect in your part of the world. It'll blend right in to the vegetation.
Old 2023-01-01, 1:33pm
Sam I Am

Question

Getting closer. We get electricity on the 3rd. Hood/ ventilation, gas & O2 hook ups will be the last thing. I'm thinking maybe February. This has not been an easy build. My Builders lack of attention to detail,inability to measure correctly or order the correct thing, terrible coordination between him & subs has slowed it down.

When it's done it will be wonderful.
Attached Images

Old 2023-01-01, 1:43pm

I can only imagine how excited you are!
Old 2023-01-01, 2:24pm
Slogan Challenged...

wonderful!!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-01-01, 7:18pm

Almost there, just hang on.