Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-12-07, 9:22am
Bliss Junkie

taken directly from thegldge com thread...

"Bowtie is super easy.
1. Take a small piece of your tube pull with blowtube attached.
2. Spiral lines tightly in one direction,puff lightly to keep shape while twisiting
3. Puff into small ball,keep the ball thick enough so it doesn't wrinkle
4. Attach cold seal punty opposite of blowtube
5. Using a pinpoint flame pop a small hole at 90* angle (reversing axis)
6. Carefully remove blowtube without ripping ball open,clean up termination
7. Attach new blowtube to the hole you popped & tap off cold punty
8. Melt & condense ball & then puff out to round shape,keep it thick
9. Pop a hole opposite your blowtube & attach a 2nd blowtube
10. Set a small flame & heat in between the 2 blowtubes,slowly rip the ball in half
MAKE sure then when you rip the ball you do it slowly so the halves don't rip open
If you do this slow enough you should now have 2 smaller balls that are a perfect
bowtie. They wlll be very thin where you ripped them,so take each half & using a soft flame re-condense them till there thick & even walled then puff out to ball.
You can also do this to wig-wag re-balls & get a cool butterfly pattern.
TO do multiple bowtie lines (4,6,8,10,etc. instead of 2)you will have to rake a spiral ball with a tungsten pick,this is a little harder,but fairly simple with some practice."

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-12-07, 9:21pm

I like the red in this basically blue set...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-08, 11:54am

Cosmo - I really love the little vase - so very Zen! I have been bitten by the fusing bug so I haven't been on the torch as much as usual but I finally got out there and made a couple of focal beads...

I just have to report that since taking Mr. Smiley's class my colors are brighter, my pinks are pinker and I am actually using Amber Purple. I swear I never really understood what burning off the haze meant (sometimes you just have to see it in person) and I was just not heating up those hazy colors enough. I have made some small beads for jewelry and I am really happy with how much more brilliant the colors are. So - here's what I learned from Mr. Smiley's class in a nutshell - you just have to heat the h*ll out of the glass!

Thanks Smiley!!!

Sandy

Old 2008-12-08, 1:27pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaHusko View Post
What a cool bowl!

I got some more torch time in Here are a couple of sets I made yesterday:

Can I beg you to tell what the second sets colors are?

Old 2008-12-08, 3:17pm

OHMYGOODNESS...that bowl is just fabu! Wonderful stuff!

Sonya - What delicious beads. I especially LOVE the purplie ones!

Shawn - What a great bow tie vessel. I saw Ross do this at ABR and got lost about 1/2 way thru...lol....NICE!

Kay - Purty lil' blues!

Sandy - Gorgeous colors. I was the same way after taking Brent's class...he's not kiddin' when he says cook the h*ll out of the glass, huh? Sure works wonders.

Here's my latest 3 vessels.
Fire Dancer - a perfect example of when artists never know when to quit and leave a design alone...will we ever learn????

Sparkly Thunder:

Spring Luster and Loki's Lipstick:

Old 2008-12-09, 6:19pm
Does that shed?

My second ever marble. He's only a half inch in diameter but he's round! lol

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2008-12-09, 7:14pm

Samma, your vessels are quite unique and stunning miniature pieces of art.

Old 2008-12-09, 7:31pm

Anzie - What an awesome little marble...so perfect. GREAT job!

Kay - Thank you so much...what a sweet thing to say. Much appreciated. ;-D

Old 2008-12-10, 8:59pm

Old 2008-12-11, 2:10am
glass-a-delic

Looking very good skylar! Keep it up!

Old 2008-12-11, 8:38am
yukue fumei

William--Wow--amazing work! Love it! Is it furnace glass? Just gorgeous!!!

Sonya-Your bead sets just make my jaw drop every time!! Thank you so much for posting. I could eat these beads!!

Shawn--WOW--cool Bowtie! Very cool idea to make ornaments. The fumework rocks!!!

Kay--nice set! I love how you drew the red out of the beads using the red spacers--cool!!!

Sandree--these are killer--wow!!! And the Gold Leopard lentil on your Etsy site is killer too!

Samma---these are so creative and dramatic--beautiful!!!

Anzie--very cool marble! Yay for round--the smaller ones are harder to round too--awesome job!

Skylar--wow! Your pendants are so cool! The last 3 are especially nice!

nagi

Old 2008-12-11, 6:32pm
jessica barksdale

i posted this in the daily S&T in the gallery but since its boro it's more at home here.
this is actually an older piece, but i found it under my dresser today so i'm happy.

wig wag on lsd

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-11, 8:25pm
Does that shed?

Oh cool!

This is the first implosion pendant I haven't smooshed. Not perfect but I like it

Old 2008-12-12, 2:53am
Borosapien

Here is one pendant i call I'll be watching you.
Old 2008-12-12, 8:48am
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
What kind of torch did you do these on? wow!
An exact hand burner (furnace work) I was just looking up Kay's work she had posted and since she was in attendance during the demo I figures she might like to see the bowl once it was out of the annie...

~Thanks for stopping in Kay!

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-12-12, 12:34pm
yukue fumei

Jes-wow--gorgeous colors on this pendant--yummy!

Anzie-beautiful!

Marcel--very cool-love the colors

nagi

Old 2008-12-12, 3:16pm
glass-a-delic

Nice work peeps. keep it up!

Old 2008-12-12, 3:17pm
jessica barksdale

thanks nagi - i just wish i knew what colors i used, they were all unlabeled shorts.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-12, 4:23pm
Hummel factory reject

Nagi did you photoshop a smile on Mamoru?

Old 2008-12-13, 10:55am
Does that shed?

Love the eye.

A couple more Mr. Smiley type hearts.

Old 2008-12-13, 10:46pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Nagi did you photoshop a smile on Mamoru?
no, that is his natural smile. This picture is when he was about a year old. His other picture is his "I hate the camera" face. As soon as I put the camera down, he smiles again. I was just lucky to catch this one!

.....He doesn't smile much now that he is very old, but when I take him out for a walk he smiles and people always comment on it.

nagi

Old 2008-12-13, 10:49pm
yukue fumei

Anzie-those hearts rock!! I love that blood red! beautiful!

nagi

Old 2008-12-14, 9:43pm
Flamewoman

Default I'm liking the Loki

I think Loki's Lipstick is my fav new glass. Here it is with Violet Hue in the middle of the petals. Now the Violet hue.........Can't get anything but coral with that one

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-15, 11:27am
ManBearPig

A few more...

The dichro isn't showing up that well. Going to have to try to take better pics later...

Old 2008-12-15, 1:41pm
Does that shed?

Ok when I grow up I want to make stuff like that. Those are so beautiful. A marble mold might help huh? lol

Old 2008-12-15, 9:08pm

managed to put a set together.. a set of 9. must be a record for me.. whew! ("They're comin' to take her away, hey, hey. They're comin to take her away!")
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-15, 10:10pm

Love those Kay! Is that a metallic sheen? Those look like they would go well with Labradorite.

Here are a few recent sets from me.

triple passion

green amber purple

double amber purple

Old 2008-12-16, 7:14am

labradorite, hmmm. Might have to make an adjustment to my description on Etsy. Thank you.They would and that is probably more sun than silver sheen. I like the middle set you did.

And I love Chris's Calypso spacers.. wow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/sonyabeads-Boro-...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by LAG; 2008-12-16 at 7:17am. Reason: wow
Old 2008-12-16, 4:47pm
yukue fumei

Mary-that pendant rocks! I love the colors you got! Really nice!!

Chad--amazing marbles--great to see your work!!!

Kay--WOW--love the beads and the photography! I love your sets!

Sonya--*THUD*! WOW

nagi

Old 2008-12-17, 11:49am
William Hagy

Here is some chandelier shades I did for a commission order....I noticed she added them to her site ~

http://www.dancinglightlamps.com/sub_fixture.html

http://www.dancinglightlamps.com/sub_fixture.html

Plum Honey fade....9.5"x7" with 3" collar base for the fixture opened to 5" at the lip...

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.